Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Google Play in-app purchases and tax

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

I've created a game that has in-app purchases and I've set myself up as a sole trader. I am completely new to being self-employed (I also work full time) and I've just been reading on Google about tax on in-app purchases. I'm freaking out a bit because I don't really understand it, it seems very complicated. Different countries with different requirements, registering with different tax services. I'm scared I'm not prepared for this. Can someone give me some advice on what to do?

Many thanks.
Invizion
Years of Service
User Offline
As I know, when you put something to sell in Google Play (App or IAP), think the value not includes the tax of the country.

For exemple:
You have an item being sold for $1 (USD)
Country 1: Tax of 20%
Country 2: Tax of 5%

This mean that the final price of the item will be different for those two countries:
Country 1: $1 + 20% = $1.20
Country 2 : $1 + 5% = 1$.05

Basically you have two choices:
Set a base price that will increase for each country tax or set the price based in each country tax so the final price will be the same.
Please note that all your earnings should be taxable (depending in your country of course)
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 13:11
Sales tax is deducted and paid by Google where needed.

Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 16:01
Yes but you still have pay taxes on top of that.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Look for the tax consultant. Only them can tell you what to do exactly.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2017 19:01
Well ya, Mike. I think we Germans have the most complex tax law at all.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 18:25
Depends on what country you live in, if you are in the UK and have already registered as self-employed you just declare it in your self-assessment, typically you will be able to offset any tax due against your personal tax allowance but if you make a game that goes viral then remember to keep a little back for the tax man as you will breach your allowance.

When filling in your self-assessment you will also need to add any PAYE income, Tax Credits and other income, don't forget to claim back expenses, you DO NOT need an accountant to take care of HMRC, it's a myth, an expensive myth, just keep track of income/out goings and ask employers for a P60, tot up the figures and fill in the online assessment when due, don't be late, the fine goes up every year!

You will also have to pay class 2 NI, if you have a PAYE job then part of your NI is already paid but self-employed NI cost a little more, again offset this against your tax allowance at the end of the year, my NI is around £650 a year but I don't pay it until the assessment is done and it's deducted from any due tax rebate, on average I get around £1800 a year back in rebate and expenses.

20 years of self-assessment and I never had a problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:33:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:33:34