Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / What you do when you finish your projects?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

This thread is aimed to share some knowledge for those people that create software.
First of all, there are people that create software for fun and others to make some Money. Maybe this thread could be mostly for people that would like to earn Money with their creations.

What options do you take?
- Sell your app/game?
- Share it for free with ads/IAP?
- Try a parternship with big companies?

What you got with most success? What lead you to more sales/revenues?
As I will begin soon to develop, I don't have any pratical exemple, but I think that sell the game in some platforms (steam) and free with ads (Android/Apple) could be the best.
In other hand, if you have a good and polished game with a genious idea, maybe you could sell your game directly to big companies.

What you do? Let's share some knowledge referring next steps after game creation
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 19:33
Using a publisher might be a valid option, especially for the mobile markets. The mobile stores are filled with crap beyond imagination so even if you deliver quality doesn't mean it will be downloaded even for free.

Regarding free vs sell, it strongly depends on the genre. When you're doing a match 3 game (good luck!) free is the only option. When going for a niche like in the sim business, a paid game is a good option. I did both (no match 3!), tried ads with my card game (which makes about $200 per month using ads on Google Play and App Store) and a full paid game without ads ($6,99) in the sim business which made quite some nice bucks (about $30000 in a half year after that 30% deduction from Google/Apple).

So far I only made mobile games but when I learned something that it's absolutely impossible to guess any success. No matter how good your quality is, you can have luck or not.
Invizion
Years of Service
User Offline
I totaly agree with you, so I think that could be easier to earn money if you get a publisher than get thousands of downloads per day.

It seems that you have success, at least with "two games". For you, what's the best option or where you make more money from free/paid apps?
Maybe I guess that Google Market gives you best performance with ads and Apple Store with paid apps or am I wrong?

Your apps where made with AppGameKit?

Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2017 09:15
No, I used Monkey for my first 8 apps and Unity for my 3d game.

There is not best option actually. It depends on the genre as I said.
Casual games for instance for mobiles must be free, no matter if Google Play or Appstore. And even when free you will hardly get any downloads.
When you spot a nice niche you could still make quite some money though. My advice would be to avoid casual stuff, you simply cannot compete with the marketing budgets of King.com and Supercell.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2017 10:29
Finish a project?? What is this, finish?
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2017 10:53
Quote: "Finish a project?? What is this, finish?"

LOL
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit
Invizion
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't be like that.
English is not my main language, so its possible (and it will happen) that I make mistakes when writing.

I thought that could be a good thread to share ideas and valid options, even that could inspire other users.
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2017 11:54
Mobiius wrote: "Finish a project?? What is this, finish? "

Lost in translation, I don't think it was a criticism on your language more a joke regarding how hard it is to 'finish' a project. I often find non-native speakers use better English than what I do.
Invizion
Years of Service
User Offline
I know and that doesn't even a problem for me
Maybe this week I'll get my hands on AppGameKit and start learning.

And all of you, what's the most you did with a game made with AppGameKit?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2017 13:20
Quote: "Lost in translation, I don't think it was a criticism on your language more a joke regarding how hard it is to 'finish' a project"

This. lol

I was making a joke, as I never 'finish' projects. merely get them out the door. (Occasionally)
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
Invizion
Years of Service
User Offline
A software/game is always a work in progress, but there's one time that it get's ready for release (or it's supposed).
When we get an idea, we need to make only what we first though. Normally we get new and better ideas, but that could be for future releases.

At least I learned it that way, otherwise I never publish anything xD
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
stick em in the stores. follow the store metrics like crazy, refreshing pages 10 times a day. get depressed with no downloads. buy some advertising in hopes of making millions. get a few downloads. get bad reviews. get depressed. look at my ad revenue and wonder why it never goes anywhere. get depressed, think something must be wrong with my ad code, but no idea what. start a new game hoping to make some money vs lose money all the time. fail. get stressed and depressed. spend way too much time trying to get the next game done. restart from step 1.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2017 17:29
That just about sums it up for most indies. Hahaha!
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2017 18:56
It does indeed. But... Never give up, stick to things you love.
Invizion
Years of Service
User Offline
I think to get the most success of a creation is to be unique.
Who will have big success in the industry making games that already exists? The point is inovate. Nobody will compete with match 3 games. If you want to create, you need to create something different. That way, you could have some success.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 09:26
From my own experience and that of another company I know (making a good looking 3D adventure game) it is very hard to get a publisher. They even went to Gamescom with no luck.

Not only are there only a handful of publishers accepting indie titles, they all have their own nice markets and they get a lot of offers. Even if they like your game they might already be busy.

So you need the right game at the right time and some luck or connections.
A retro fantasy speedrunning adventure made in App Game Kit 2!
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 09:30
I have always found Jake Birkett to be a good inspiration, to his own he has not had a massive hit but he's lived and survived 11 years as an indie. He did a talk at GDC last year its worth a watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmwbYl6f11c +1 for being a blitz user too
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 19:11
Quote: "I think to get the most success of a creation is to be unique.
Who will have big success in the industry making games that already exists? The point is inovate. Nobody will compete with match 3 games. If you want to create, you need to create something different. That way, you could have some success."

I strongly disagree. Doing something unique doesn't mean anything. Look at the mobile markets, do something unique and wonder that no one will download it because nobody will just notice. Your game can usually only be found due to search engines. And players won't search for unique games they still don't know.

There's nothing wrong with copying something and make it better. That works best.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2017 23:32 Edited at: 25th Aug 2017 23:32
Mobiuus wrote: "Quote: "Lost in translation, I don't think it was a criticism on your language more a joke regarding how hard it is to 'finish' a project"

This. lol

I was making a joke, as I never 'finish' projects. merely get them out the door. (Occasionally)"

This gave me an idea ... LOL :

Your unfinished/unreleased games thread

--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2017 10:56 Edited at: 26th Aug 2017 11:08
I take some of the money, and buy a lot of beer.

Also, I haven't so far done games - or relied on the good will of fickle people on the interwebs to buy my stuff. I've made little AV-Utilities for various companies, for showing something or other that rely on live data to some screens or other. The bigger the screens, the more they pay usually

Though that have changed over the last year - as I'm now working with app development properly as opposed to as a side business. So got a few AppGameKit (frontend) + Go (backend) projects in the works, and is technical lead on a large HTML5 using JS+Angular2 project with a dotnet core C# backend. Of the AppGameKit stuff, one is an ever evolving internal tool, the other is a little educational game which by and large is ready for public testing. And will be, perhaps on Monday. Got some polishing to do over the weekend...

AGK+Go is perfect for getting stuff done and out the door fast, though the pool of available programmers is quite small. At least here on the technological wasteland where I live. Bergen Norway ain't no Silicon Valley We have Javascript, Java and C# people though *sigh*...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:19:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:19:20