Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / No more support for Milkshape 3D format .ms3d

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 21:11
My app cannot load anymore 3D models in Milkshape (ms3d) format, with the error "No suitable reader found for the file format of file "xxx.ms3d" in assets.agc at line xxx. Pls restore the reader for Milkshape. Thanks.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 21:45
The more importers we enable the larger the executable becomes, so for now I've limited it to some of the more popular formats like .X, .FBX, .DAE. Is it possible to export from ms3d to one of those formats?
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 21:49
Unreal Engine 4 supports only .FBX and .OBJ.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2017 09:44
Quote: "The more importers we enable the larger the executable becomes, so for now I've limited it to some of the more popular formats like .X, .FBX, .DAE. Is it possible to export from ms3d to one of those formats?"

Milkshape can export to many formats. For sure to .X. My only doubt is if animations are preserved correctly. If not, I will ask you again to restore the support.
Anyway I do not think that the ms3d reader would make the executable much greater. I would like to leave Milkshape and go to Blender, but I have invested some time in learning Milkshape, Blender is much more powerful but with a steep learning curve. Programming gaming for me is an hobby, my earnings are very limited, so I cannot spend too much time in overlearning.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2017 22:21
Unfortunately the only animation that works is ms3d.
I have tried with .X, .FBX, .DAE and .3DS export
The first 2 formats does not show anything, maybe a problem with texture management.
The other 2 formats (Collada and Autodesk), show the object and manage the textures, but the animations does not work, and notwithstanding I am loading the models with LoadObjectWithChildren, there is the following error:
Quote: "Failed to get IsAnimating for object 100062 - object is not set up for animation, use LoadObjectWithChildren for animated objects in managers.agc at line 613
Error: Failed to get IsAnimating for object 100062 - object is not set up for animation, use LoadObjectWithChildren for animated objects in managers.agc at line 613 in managers.agc at line 613"

I am sure I am using LoadObjectWithChildren.
I am attaching the original model (the only that works .ms3d) and all the exports.
Can you help me to figure out while all the exported models do not work.
At the moment I am blocked, I cannot update my app, I should downgrade to the old AGK2 versions.

Attachments

Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 19:03 Edited at: 1st Sep 2017 19:09
Milkshape is not very good in exporting into other formats. I always use Ultimate Unwrap Pro for converting mesh formats.

edit: I did some conversions, can you try one of those?

Attachments

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 20:06
I've restored .ms3d support for the next version
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 21:23
@Paul thanks a lot. It is useful in any case.

@Xaron. Thanks a lot. I have tested your models. Here are the results:

3ds: the model is rotated 90 degrees around X axis and the animation does not work, with error "Object is not set for animation"
dae: model correct, no error but animation does not work
fbx: model correct, no error but animation does not work
.x: works perfectly

@Paul: in my app, I load the objects with loadobjectwithchilder() at game initialization, then I create new istances of the pinball objects using cloneObject()
My doubt is: maybe that for some formats, does not the clone object command clone exactly the animation data? Why that error is thrown?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 21:41
All formats are loaded into an internal representation, so CloneObject should behave the same no matter which format was originally used. CloneObject should copy the animation data, if you encounter an issue where the original object has animation but the cloned object does not can you send me the model and I'll take a look.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 22:32
I have download fragmotion, and simply writing a prayer (Our father), that is not a big issue for me because I am Christian, I have unlocked the program for 7 days.
There is an export tool from ms3d to .x. The animation works perfectly, so I have solved the issue for now.
I am attaching the original ms3d model and the model exported with fragmotion.

About the models that generate errors in AGK2, pls check the Xaron's post. The bumper.3ds produces the error:
Quote: "Failed to get IsAnimating for object 100073 - object is not set up for animation, use LoadObjectWithChildren for animated objects in managers.agc at line 613
Error: Failed to get IsAnimating for object 100073 - object is not set up for animation, use LoadObjectWithChildren for animated objects in managers.agc at line 613 in managers.agc at line 613"

The bumper.ms3d is the original model.
For your commodity I attach the 3ds model too.

Attachments

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2017 22:53
Thanks for having restored Milkshape support.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 5th Sep 2017 15:39
Since you are using Fragmotion you may want to check out my youtube channel which has several
tutorials on using Fragmotion. This tutorial shows how to correct smoothing groups for models in Game Guru but
this also applies to AGK. The tutorial also shows how to use a FREE modeling program called Wings3D which is a lot easier
to use than Milkshape.

The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:17:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:17:09