Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AR Kit - Android/iOS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2017 06:59
Now that Google have also launched their own AR kit to match Apple's... What are the chances that we'll see this integrated into AppGameKit?

In my opinion this is much more useful for mobile devs than VR, and offers a lot of potential to create some interesting apps.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2017 10:28
It's something we're considering.
Development Director
TGC Team
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2017 10:49
Would be super cool.
It's something you can do best with smartphones and would fit great in AGK.
+1 for AR
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
iOS+Android AR support would be great. Still quite early times so good chance to try to make something.
darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2017 18:10
for me AR is very important more than VR.
I hope that TGC Devoloper implements this very very soon.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2017 22:45
From a technical viewpoint it doesn't seem to do much, last I checked the iOS version finds a ground plane that lets you place objects on the nearest horizontal surface. The Android version seems to be more fully featured, detecting multiple surfaces like walls, but at the moment its device support is very limited, only Pixel 2 and Samsung Galaxy S8. Something like Pokemon Go could already be done by grabbing the camera to an image and using the rotation vector commands to work out where the camera is looking to draw the virtual objects, it's crude but seems to work well enough for games, and has much wider device support.

What would you use it for?
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
To draw silly faces. To build a navigation app. To prototype games based on recognizing objects. To draw information overlays positioned on real world. I don't know.

What you describe as "grabbing the camera to an image and using the rotation vector commands to work out where the camera is looking to draw the virtual objects" already sounds a bit complex for me. I like simple things. The AppGameKit way there would be to say, GetCamera(), SetCameraOverLay(), GiveGroudPlane(), PositionOverlayYAtGroundPlane(), PositionSpriteOnWall(), PositionSpriteOnGroundOffset(), FindImageFeatures(), RecognizeObjects(), IsObjectPresent(), PositionSpriteOnFeature(), ...

Incorporating all the latest and greatest in ML algorithms, CNN's, whatnot is the best thing in computer vision every day, of course..

No idea really, just throwing ideas for people to say.
darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2017 18:04
I think about application not only games , for example overlay 3d objet on real envinoment, modify wall of a room (for architectural examples) , change colour of object , add virtual object and so on

i think that AR is the new frontier more then VR. VR is expensive, too lag , needed powerful cpu, motion sickness problem.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Before this, I would rather see AGK:VR addon support Gear VR and related mobile devices. It'd be nice to release some apps on the Oculus store (mobile+PC).
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 12:52
Quote: "From a technical viewpoint it doesn't seem to do much, last I checked the iOS version finds a ground plane that lets you place objects on the nearest horizontal surface"

Paul is right, he will probably just wrap/implement the libraries from Google and Apple and they don't do very much...not that its easy to make AR but these libraries will not solve all our Augmented-Reality problems.
I would love to tinker with it and for sure I will get some ideas to use it in an entertaining way... but to make it really useful for me, I would need it combined with feature recognition...and horizontal space only, is also a bit restricting.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 15:08
Perhaps someone could wrap the vuforia libraries for AR integration?
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 17:02
Vuforia looks nice but it's not cheap.
darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 20:02 Edited at: 11th Sep 2017 20:02
I was tinking not only classic AR with marker but AR but with no marker in union for example with gesture recognition (in union with kinect or leap motion ) , realtime scan of environment and so on.
These are more powerful features than google AR sdk.
what do you think ?
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 22:20
xCept wrote: "Before this, I would rather see AGK:VR addon support Gear VR and related mobile devices. It'd be nice to release some apps on the Oculus store (mobile+PC).
"

+1 ! Daydream + GearVR
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:44:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:44:35