Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Problem with different video boards - game crashing on Radeons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi!

I am writing a game which is using about 200MB of graphics. When I run it on nVidia graphics card with 1GB RAM everything runs fine. The GPU memory usage according to GPU-Z goes up to 800 MB (400MB was taken by OS) , everything is OK. But if I run my game on Radeon R5 200 with also 1GB of RAM, I always get an error from AppGameKit "Ran out of GPU memory", even if GPU-Z shows memory usage about 400MB. I use Tier2, VS2017, 32bit, 1920x1080 resolution. Even o a very basic laptop with Intel graphics and 2GB shared memory there are no problems... Any help?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2017 17:16
When you say 200MB of graphics, are those the file sizes or the uncompressed sizes? For example a PNG of 100KB could take up 1MB when uncompressed into GPU memory. The uncompressed size would be width*height*4 bytes.
Kilian
Years of Service
User Offline
No, this is what the graphics takes in GPU memory. On HDD I have about 60MB.
You can see it by Yourself, I posted the playable game in the Showcase thread called "Empire - strategy game".
I tried to track down the source of the problems and came only to the result that if I throw out the intro animation and splashscreen the game SOMETIMES starts without errors. Say, 1/3 of all runs is fine, others quit with an error "Ran out of GPU memory" or throw general exception fault and quit.. I saw this error only on the Radeon, even an 8 years old mobile nVidia GPU with 512MB runs without any problems. Intels with shared memory also make no problems (at least the ones I was able to test).

Best regards

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:31:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:31:09