Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Any tips for non-rectangular levels?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Far Cry 4
Posted: 10th Sep 2017 21:32
Do you people have any tips on how to make my gameĀ“s rooms less "rectangular"?, they are starting to look repetitive because of that, hallway after hallway my game rooms look like squares, is it even possibl to make a "circular" room in FPSC?
-Sorry for my english in this one, i am tired af.
GTA fan, i develop either shitty meme games or small good games.
Either my games are shitty or England is my city.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 00:12
MindKill
If you look under scifi & ww2 segments you will find lots of "rounded" corner walls, slopes, vents & diagonal
pieces. From that you can build custom rooms to look less "square". If you need more than that you will need to
custom model rooms, segments to meet your needs.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 17:16
There's a tutorial here on how to make modular assets
http://www.thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 23:59
Nice tutorial, thanks for the link.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2017 11:31 Edited at: 12th Sep 2017 12:10
The tutorial focuses on udk but you can use it to learn how to make FPSC segments. I made this wall piece using it.
I think FPSC segments are 100cmx100cmx100cm in 3ds max.
The curved wall tutorial is really useful.

Does anyone know a .x exporter for 3ds max that actually works? Everyone I've tried breaks the normals slightly.
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2017 14:04 Edited at: 12th Sep 2017 14:05
Every space that a person players in essentially enclosed by a 'box' be real or metaphorical. SO to get the most out of your level, place entities 'along' the 'box' and not in the middle. For ex : You never place furniture all in the middle of your house do you? You place them along the 'box'. And only in instances of say, a dining table, is placed in the middle of the 'box'. In fact the dining table acts as a small boundary inside the 'box'.

But to make the best out of it, you will have to think outside the 'box'.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2017 23:46
Quote: "Every space that a person players in essentially enclosed by a 'box' be real or metaphorical. SO to get the most out of your level, place entities 'along' the 'box' and not in the middle. For ex : You never place furniture all in the middle of your house do you? You place them along the 'box'. And only in instances of say, a dining table, is placed in the middle of the 'box'. In fact the dining table acts as a small boundary inside the 'box'.

But to make the best out of it, you will have to think outside the 'box'."

Very good advice.

I would say that about 95% of all rooms are square/rectangle
gamer, lover, filmmaker
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2017 00:19 Edited at: 13th Sep 2017 00:33
@ uzi idiot Bond1 made one a number of years back. His site is now down I'm looking around to see if a link
is still active somewhere. Did the "fpsc archives" have a download for it? I recall it work really good, both for
models and animations. I'll keep looking....
Edit: Found it, under his real name on this page. Try it and see what you think, I have no clue what version it's for.
http://www.maxplugins.de/max2012.php%3Fpage%3D5%26range%3DImport%2520/%2520Export%26bit%3D96%26sort%3DAuthor
About half way down, he called it the "Kw-Exporter" there's also a 3dsmax to ms3d exporter.
If that link doesn't work, here's another at Source-Forge https://sourceforge.net/projects/kwxport/

@Mriganka I agree with him totally. All houses/rooms look square to me
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 13th Sep 2017 04:06
I recommend that You learn the TGCs segment editor well, and then make some segments in a program like Cinema 4D or maya or 3dsmax.. Its only the fantasy that sets limits of what You can do with FPSC! (Execept for landscapes sadly) I recommend that You dont add floor to Your segment, if it is bigger than 1x1 tiles. If You think FPSC is to rectangular, what do You want instead??? (Thats what You has to ask Yourself)
Here is an example that I made for a cellar prison system. As You can see, the roof is rounded, and even over the doors I have a rounded cutout. Start with something easy if You are a beginner, Good luck!

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:55:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:55:03