Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My website is in a book, neat!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2017 20:08
I was trying to pull up my website and mistyped it by accident and so it google searched it. Saw my site address popup on a google book.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Q3FuBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA178&lpg=PA178&dq=zimnox.com&source=bl&ots=SjBv40-dKw&sig=pCcAY0Rv4f73Q74BmhHl3ewiNBA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzutjEqqDWAhWLZiYKHasiBN4Q6AEIRzAG#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's a book on learning LibGDK and a small side note points to one of my articles on bit-shifting. I wonder if I can tell folks I'm a published author now :p

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2017 14:04
You have taken it in good spirit
They are adding value to their publication from your work, without even being gracious enough to let you know.

Just think about the fun you could have by replacing that page on your website
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2017 19:56
Well my initial thought was hey where's my royalty check! But they're just pointing more traffic towards my site, it's free advertising for me. And I put that information out there freely to help people, so I'm not really bothered by it. It's just neat to see others outside my immediate online community utilizing my tutorials.

Some 10 to 15 years ago, I did come across a CD for sale that contained a collection of digital art for desktop wallpaper. In the sample images was one of my renderings I made in Bryce3D. Was never asked for permission or anything. I was upset about that one.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2017 20:02
Free publicity is always good
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2017 10:33 Edited at: 19th Sep 2017 10:34
When I published "Party Player Jukebox" (many moons ago) using something call "SoftWrap" to handle trial periods and payments, it was instantly hacked and plastered over a ton of foreign download sites. I didn't earn a penny out of it (although I wasn't really trying to), but that experience put me off publishing anything for a long time.

Haha! I just read that SoftWrap ceased trading in 2013!!! Good! Mwahahahaa
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 12:39
I once entered a TGC competition a good many years ago, where I created a scorched earth clone called 3D Bang! Bang!
I submitted it only to TGC, but if you search for "3D Bang! Bang!" you will find many websites listing the free download of the game.

(Note, I've just searched for it now, and it looks like there are a lot more 3d bang bang results now. Most are from my own website/youtube, but more still are from other sources.)
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2017 15:24 Edited at: 17th Nov 2017 15:49
Quote: "Well my initial thought was hey where's my royalty check! But they're just pointing more traffic towards my site, it's free advertising for me. And I put that information out there freely to help people, so I'm not really bothered by it. It's just neat to see others outside my immediate online community utilizing my tutorials."

Great attitude!

I think it is neat too, and a definite acknowledgement of your skills!

Congratulations

Quote: "You have taken it in good spirit
They are adding value to their publication from your work, without even being gracious enough to let you know."

He is taking it with a very positive attitude.

I don't see anything wrong with saying "for more information..." then linking to his website.

They are not publishing his work, just offering his website/knowledge to their readers in an admission that it is above and beyond the scope of their work.

And, like he said, the information is there for free anyway, so it isn't like they are linking people to information he is selling or restricting to any paying subscribers.

Those readers could have done a search for that information and found his site on their own, but Google just saved them the trouble and gave his site the traffic.

It is an honor really, not plagiarism or any negative thing like that. (they could have let him know though, but courtesy is always optional)

Quote: "Just think about the fun you could have by replacing that page on your website"

mwuhahahahaha

That is why it is a risky practice to use external 3rd party links in publications, either online or print.

I wouldn't ruin that though, when it could be capitalized on.

Keeping valid information there would ensure their linking to his site in their future publications.

Yeah they add value to their book with his link, but he could publish an advanced level book on that topic and possibly sell a publication of his own to that traffic.

Quote: "I was trying to pull up my website and mistyped it by accident and so it google searched it. "

Your website looks great and is very informative.

It's no wonder they chose that one to offer as a direct link to their readers.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 03:59:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 03:59:09