Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / 3D related: Looking for old fashion fake shadow ideas and maybe links!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
H/W: Raspberry Pi 3

Hey Everyone,

I understand that this should be in the "Raspberry Pi" section, but hardly anyone goes there. I did post on that section about why Raspberry Pi version of AGK2 is unable to do standard shadows to make sure others know that the problem due to the GPU being unable to do "depth textures". What I am trying to do now is to look for ideas on how to fake them. I tried using a pointlight, but it doesn't work and unable to center it properly under a 3d object like a ball. Now I'm out of ideas. If any of you have ever used one of the earlier versions of DB you may remember that they had neither shadows nor reflections and had to be faked. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Take care now,

Darin Murphy
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 09:30
A plain with a blob texture does work not so bad for many cases, but not for all, depends on the style of game you like to build.
DarinM1967
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 16:30 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 17:18
Green7,

Ah, thank you for reminding me about a very simple and pretty old fashion shadow trick. Reminds me of the old Nintendo 64 days. LOL!!! Not trying to make anything complex for now, so that will be good enough. Just small projects for now. Again thank you Green7 for your assistance.

Take care now,

Darin Murphy
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 11:53
no problem. you may, for example when your character is jumping, make the shadow bigger and more transparent, depending on the y-distance of the object to the shadow. adds some nice reality.
for example, subtract the y distance from the alpha value, and add the y-distance to the size of the plain at the same time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:11:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:11:29