Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 08:15 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 08:17
not sure exactly where to put this thread but this is were i normally post.
Cartography shop was released as freeware a while back by leadwerks and sold by tgc i believe. For the life of me i've checked all over the web including torrent sites and all i can find are a few old forum posts by the creator from years past talking about it. Seems to have vanished from the world wide web and forgotten.
Does anyone have a copy of the software ive used it before and loved it to death.
A child's dream never dies.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 20:09 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 20:10
If you can remember where and when it was available for for freeware download, you can check it on http://web.archive.org
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 02:59
well pretty close but no luck web.archive has the site archived but it didnt archive the download. 2010 jan6

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 18:36
It is archived on that site - but on their TGC pages. Out of curiosity I looked and found it here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100223051744/http://cartographyshop.thegamecreators.com:80/

Hope that's the version you're after.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 04:19
I tried downloading Cartography Shop from the link you provided GG, but my anti-virus software said it was unsafe and deleted it. I had an old version of it, but for some reason everything is there except the .exe file. I really didn't use it much, but it was kinda cool.

So many games to code.....so little time.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 11:21 Edited at: 17th Sep 2017 12:02
I didn't have that problem with it. I did however have problems using the program - but they were similar to the ones I've had before with CS4 and with other software from time to time. Things like the program crashing on exit. I'm amazed at how many commercial programs have that issue, not just TGC. For me the most annoying problems with the download version were:

1. the fact it couldn't find the Help files (which were there and can be read outside CS4);
2. the fact it couldn't locate most of the textures the second time I ran it (my guess is that something like a config file gets screwed when it fails to close properly);
3. one of the crashes left a stray window open which Task Manager couldn't detect and the only way of getting rid of it was to restart the laptop which then allowed Windows 10 an excuse to, yet again, attempt to install the W10 Creators Update (which it just can't do on this machine and just prevents me doing anything useful for half an hour ). For some odd reason "Restart" has the same effect as "Upgrade and Restart" - and I keep forgetting that.

I think the download is safe - the Virus Checker is probably taking the default action for something that was created for an older version of windows. I find I have to override all sorts of anti-virus warnings for some software. For example, Norton SONAR wanted to delete most of my DBPro exe files at one point on the grounds that "fewer than 5 people use the file". I ended up banning SONAR from checking most of my folders.

Of course there might be a problem with the download ...

But someone who is familiar with CS4 might find it useful.

Edit: There may be a way around the problems. I've just tried uninstalling CS4 and reinstalling it. I then tried again. I successfully made some test maps and objects and then closed the program using the Exit option from the File menu. This closed correctly. (Yippee!). I then opened CS4 a second time and successfully made a new object and then tried closing it using the Windows Close button (the familiar one on the top right of the window). That created all the problems I encountered yesterday. So it seems you need to resist the temptation to close it the easy way. I suspect there is a simple settings or config file that gets screwed up when you try to use the Windows Close button. I'll do a bit more experimentation to see if I can find out which one - there might then be a simple fall-back option. [Of course the present Uninstall/Reinstall option is always there - and doesn't take very long (if you kept a copy of the download file of course ).]
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 22:49
Thanks for the info GG. I pretty much use Milkshape to design levels in DBP anyway. This was a fringe item for me back in the day. Looking at the issues with it, I'll just stick to MS3D.

So many games to code.....so little time.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 00:19
Same here.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 07:29 Edited at: 18th Sep 2017 07:32
I wanted cshop mainly because its a major pain to texture in other 3d programes but u can texture some rough starter objects the way u want then in c shop import them into other programs just apply shaders modifiers ect and make it easier to get the textures on everything and roughly maped the way u want can always touch up in c shop with uv data as well its handy for that stuff. Greatly appreciated guys it appears to be the full working program.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 10:34
Quote: "Greatly appreciated guys it appears to be the full working program."

It certainly does despite the minor glitch which has a simple workaround thankfully.

Yes, it's very helpful to be able to use old familiar software. I do it all the time.

Have fun.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:20:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:20:51