Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2017 18:41 Edited at: 1st Oct 2017 18:54
Many moons ago I created an endless scrolling minesweeper game in GameSalad and released it on the Apple Store for like a year or so before I let my Apple license lapse and never renewed it. Here's a video of it in action

I wanted to see if I could do the same again in AppGameKit and hopefully do a lot more with it. I don't really know where I'm going with it yet, I don't even know what style I want to work with but I've got the basics of the game working without any power ups. There's two videos, one with the tiles hidden like minesweeper and the other video shows what's under each tile. I'm liking the idea of having a character running away from some trap either spinning blade or a rolling boulder etc. but I've no idea what the character will be yet. I do know that it needs to be something that doesn't cover the numbers like the current black shape I'm using at the moment does.

The thumb print that shows in all 3 videos is just used to show where I'm pressing on the screen for recording purposes.

Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2017 00:55 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2017 00:57
Tried creating some dungeon tiles to see what it might look like. I think I need to make some changes to the colours of the numbers and maybe make them smaller. I used the same colours I used in the original version I released.

Do the dark and light tiles sit well next to each other or are they too dark and too light? Do you think the dark tiles should be a little lighter?

I think I want to set it so the character can only jump a few squares around him/her. I got that working (not in this video) but don't know how I want to show the player where they can tap.

The rotating blade is one I found on Google, so will eventually be replaced with something.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 15:39
Looks nice! It looks like the blade is spinning the wrong way. That's a good twist on the old Windows classic.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 16:44
Thanks @CJB. I've kind of given up on this at the moment as I've been busy updating a live project and have a list of other things I want to start and give up on

The blade is rotating clockwise.

Every time I look at it I think I prefer the flat design version I originally built in GameSalad.
blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 21:58
Nice work. Very clever adding the scrolling
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 17:22
The blade should rotate anitclockwise, or flip the sprite image so the cutting edge of the blade leads.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 17:30
Ok thanks. That seems odd to me if I'm honest but you're probably right. If I do get to work on it some more I'll check out a slow mo video of a blade spinning (there's probably some on YouTube). I still don't know what would be chasing the player. I was also considering a rolling boulder like Indiana Jones.

blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 20:38
You could always make the blade about 1/4 the size and have 4 of them at the bottom. It makes the rotation less noticeable and you have more of a "line" at the bottom rather than a circle.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:37:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:37:02