Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / HostNetwork - How many connections can it handle?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2017 20:05
Hey there,

how many connections could HostNetwork handle on a modern computer? I plan to make a server but not for some stress real time stuff but more for a turn based game. Is there a limit beyond the processing power and network bandwidth? How efficient is that stuff implemented?

Thanks!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2017 00:38
Quote: "how many connections could HostNetwork handle on a modern computer? I plan to make a server but not for some stress real time stuff but more for a turn based game. Is there a limit beyond the processing power and network bandwidth? How efficient is that stuff implemented?"

I have not dove into the networking yet, but the manual gives some clue in the guide to basic networking.

The for loop that looks for clients in that example is set to 50, which implies that many users are possible.

I think you are correct on the server setting the real limitation, so think about how many you would like to have then go from there and see how it handles it.

I know that many online games (like RuneScape) limit each server to 2,000 users, so I imagine that would be a realistic limitation.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Walkman1014
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2017 07:35
I am currently experimenting with a Tier 2 windows based server. So far I have only tried the 50 connection example and have found the ram usage to be reasonable on my windows PC. However, when it comes to maximum connections... that will depend on your server's ram availability and cpu speed. One thing I have considered is moving some of the networking commands into threads in order to achieve more efficient use of resources. Again... I have just started and would be more than happy to share what happens as I proceed... but it will be a while. I am still working on a bunch of client side stuff.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:59:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:59:41