Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / It's been an interesting month

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 14:55
Haven't been around much lately, no time to code because I closed on a house last month finally! Advertised as a turn-key ready home, I beg to differ. It's definitely a fixer-upper and I watch a lot of HGTV now. Saw signs of water damage on a wall, nothing major the inspector said. Well, I knocked a few holes into it after I bought it just to check what was really going on and ended up cutting out half the wall and reframing it. It was an exterior wall btw, which means siding and whatnot had to be done too. Here's some pics, I have a lot more to upload soon.

https://imgur.com/a/xUW7m

The inside of the wall isn't done yet, and I can't really do it until I finish my kitchen because all my appliances are sitting in that room. I also had to remove a few boards from the hardwood floor, which I plan to have refinished after I patch it. Kitchen is almost done. The prep work is pretty much complete, I just need to lay tile and paint. I put up new drywall around the entire kitchen rather than fight with clean up those walls. While I wait to have a gas line moved for my stove, I started demolishing the bathroom. Anyone want a cast iron pink tub? Great condition.

Now the bad news, only a week into working on this house I've been robbed. Stole all my tools and equipment, including my brand new Nest. Lost over $1k. A nearby neighbor had been helping me every day and I paid him for it. The night I get robbed, the guy hasn't shown back up since. So I think it's pretty clear what happened, he was casing my place! I've since then installed security lights and a camera (more to install yet), with the footage recorded 24x7 to a dvr which is not easily accessible for a thief.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 14:49
Nice repair job! I wish we could build houses like that! Far too many rules and regs in the UK.

Sorry to hear about the theft. You got his address? Call in the heavies!!!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 13:30
I don't have a good picture at the moment, but the kitchen tile is installed. I just need touch up a few corners on the walls then slap down a 2nd coat of paint and then I'll be able to hook up my appliances. Should be done with that tomorrow or friday. Unfortunately, I won't have any cabinets until probably next friday at the earliest.

Bathroom is totally gutted to the wall studs now. Gotta pick up a new bathtub then install new cement board. It is kinda fun having a place that you can literally do whatever you want to it, financially permitted of course!

Now, thanks to HGTV, I've come up with a big idea. Old houses have different roof structures than the trusses used in modern buildings. If the attic's floor beams are non-structural like the old house I saw on the show last week, I may be cutting them out and vaulting the living room ceiling. It'd look sweet and really open up the room. It'd also be a ton of work and require a bigger ladder.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 14:25:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 14:25:19