Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AppGameKit VR

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 10:32
Hey,
I would have posted this in the AppGameKit VR Released thread but it is locked, so here goes ...

There are some good offers on Samsung phones at the moment that include the Samsung Gear VR headset and controller. I quick bit of Googling told me that it is powered by Oculus and since AppGameKit VR supports Oculus I was hoping that it would also support the Samsung Gear.
It would definitely make my new phone decision a lot easier if it did.

Anyone?

Thanks
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 12:11
Hi Scraggle!
I hope all is well. It has been a while....
Right now AppGameKit VR only supports PC based VR using the HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift. There has been discussion about adding mobile support, which I think would include the Oculus Mobile stuff but it isn't something that is currently being worked on.

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 12:43
Hey Ron,
It has indeed been a while! I didn't realise you still haunted TGC's hallowed grounds until I saw that you were the VR dev.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't help with my phone buying decision but at least I know what not to buy.
Since you're still here - I don't suppose you have any plans to create an AppGameKit version of your Advanced Animation plugin do you?

Scraggle
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 13:09 Edited at: 31st Oct 2017 15:06
Quote: " I didn't realise you still haunted TGC's hallowed grounds until I saw that you were the VR dev."

Yeah... I'm not on here a lot, but I've always checked back to see what was going on here. I didn't have much purpose when DBpro went away until AppGameKit received some real support for 3D and a plugin system in place.

Quote: "I don't suppose you have any plans to create an AppGameKit version of your Advanced Animation plugin do you?"

Actually, I have both Enhanced Animations and EZrotate in the works for AppGameKit! I have EnAn working right now except for an issue that it doesn't always exit nicely when you end the application. It seems to work 100% while the app is running though. After I get that sorted, I need to re-write my demos. EZrotate is completely done except for 1 or 2 remaining demos.
Unfortunately, in both cases, they are only PC solutions. I don't think there is a way to get them working for mobile right now because of how the plugin system works in AGK.

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 17:32
That's both great news and terrible news!
It's great that you are working on them and have them almost finished but if they cant be used in mobile applications it seriously limits the usefulness of them
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 17:39
Yeah... I will have to talk with TGC. I think both have a lot of potential for AppGameKit but are much more limited if they can only be used on PC's.

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 10:39
Ron, I am sure we can work something out to get these implemented into the core of AppGameKit. Send me an email and we can discuss!
Development Director
TGC Team
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 12:26
Sounds good Rick!
a.k.a WOLF!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 23:08 Edited at: 7th Nov 2017 23:13
One of the amazing thing about VR is the actual shift between the two realities: The moment when you pull on/off the HMD and your entire reality just have been replaced.

I'm currently designing a room in VR, mostly because rectangles are very easy to code. One thing that bugs me a bit is that the angles of the walls align with the real-life walls: If I'm starring at a wall in VR, and then take off my HMD, there's a wall in front of me with pretty much the same angle. (I think this is because the two front sensors/camera being placed at an even distance from a wall.)

So In order to highlight the difference between the two realities, I simply rotate the player a bit:

AGKVR.RotatePlayerLocalY(25.0)

Of course, once rotated, the virtual room no longer fits as nicely into my apartment. So this doesn't make as good use of room scale. That's a price worth paying, I think
JWarren
Years of Service
User Offline
As this appears to be a "chat" forum, may I ask a question? Please refer me to the appropriate forum and accept my apology if this is posted in the wrong place.

The AGK2 VR doesn't appear to look at the physical keyboard on my PC. I understand that with the Oculus HMD on my face, I can't actually see it anyway, but I am attempting to add a foot switch to trigger an animation. The code works fine in AGK2, but when run with the VR plug-in, my program ignores it.

Thanks,
Jim
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2017 18:25
Hi Jim,

Make sure that the AppGameKit Window that your game is running in has focus as the active window. If anything else has focus, it will receive your keyboard input instead of the AppGameKit window. I do regularly use the keyboard along with AppGameKit VR.

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, you run the game, and then SteamVR pops up and steals the focus. Really a bother!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2017 19:39
But, that is only if SteamVR is not already running. Once SteamVR is running, that is no longer an issue. I tend to manually start SteamVR before I do anything else since it can take a while to open and initialize the lighthouses.
a.k.a WOLF!
JWarren
Years of Service
User Offline
I got it solved... I added iFoot=GetRawKeyState(66) and read and tested the value of iFoot instead of testing the results of the GetRawKeyState function. I don't understand why I needed to add the extra step, but it worked. Now, if I add a second foot controller for the high hat, I should almost be able to play the drum kit. Too bad I'm a guitar player instead of a drummer!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:55:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:55:41