Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Update on my blown up ride

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 16:17 Edited at: 31st Oct 2017 16:19
Can't recall if I posted about this back in spring or not, but my baby suffered a catastrophic failure when I took her out for the first time that season. I finally got it to a shop last week and the engine removed. It was all bad news. There will be no rebuild, engine is totally trashed.

So I bought a new engine. Well, a '78 engine anyway. The big difference between it and my only '71 block is this one has a much lower compression ratio. As it sits, it's only about 250hp, half of what I had before. I'm going to the shop later this week to discuss upgrade options. About the only thing we'll be reusing from the old car is the intake and oil pan. The torque converter is also damaged and will be replaced. It had a 4000 stall and the mechanic thinks it was too much for my build and that may have caused the damage. Or caused something that lead up to it. We'll be going with 2500 on the new build.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 07:30
Now that's an a properly knackered engine! Is that a piston shattered into pieces that I see? Wow.

As for the compression ratio, just jam some rags or sponges into each cylinder. That'll increase your compression ratio for a couple minutes...
Yes!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 13:28
Yes that was a piston.

Just a day after I picked up the newer engine, I found this: https://www.allpar.com/news/2017/10/hellcrate-707-hp-for-classics-38679

If only.......

Good news is I'm picking my car back up tomorrow. Still haven't been told the final price yet, not sure I want to know. I had the front-end suspension redone as well.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:54:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:54:23