Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Sentinel VR - first look

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 00:15 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2017 00:16
So I've got this to a stage where it can be viewed at least.
I have all the main stuff done now. Procedural level generation and the absorbing, teleporting and creating of objects is working fine.
Still a lot of work to go, but the back of it is broken now

Bear in mind that it's a VR game, so the controllers are simulated via keyboard and mouse during dev and may look like they are in the way, but won't be in the game proper.

Sentinel is a classic strategy game which requires you to build up higher than the sentinel to absorb him to progress.
The VR version will need to have some extra gameplay to make it work, but the basic mechanics are looking really good so far.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 01:17
looking good nz0

Quote: "I have all the main stuff done now. Procedural level generation and the absorbing, teleporting and creating of objects is working fine."

Quote: "The VR version will need to have some extra gameplay to make it work, but the basic mechanics are looking really good so far."

getting the basics functional is important, and can be time consuming sometimes

you are well on your way

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 05:41
WOW! That is awesome! Brilliant work NZ
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 09:29
Hi nz0,

I never played this game but was aware of it back in the day.

It's so good to see someone making a VR experience with the new Plugin.

Let us know how you get on and if there's any new VR commands that would make this easier.

Good luck with the dev work.

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 19:41
Thanks Rick.
It would be nice to have a VR sub forum where we could keep everything together.
There's a number of VR threads scattered about which could be moved there and I'm sure it will help to get some more interest going.

I think Ron has an idea of suggestions myself and others have requested
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2017 23:52
Quote: "It would be nice to have a VR sub forum where we could keep everything together.
There's a number of VR threads scattered about which could be moved there and I'm sure it will help to get some more interest going."

+1 !

(and i want Android DayDream Support for AppGameKit Tier1 ! :p https://developers.google.com/vr/android/ )
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2017 18:57
It is nice to see some cool things being done with VR!

Quote: "I think Ron has an idea of suggestions myself and others have requested "

I have a list!

a.k.a WOLF!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2017 09:08
Looking, and sounding really great nz0! I need to get myself some VR kit! Really hope I get to play this one day.

One thing: In the C64 original, you could only absorb and place stuff if you could see the base square it stands on (if I remember correctly). This formed a major part of the puzzle (getting higher than your target base). From your demo vid, it looks like your version allows you to absorb items from anywhere. Also, the original had an emergency hyperspace that would teleport you to a random lower position (at great energy expense). Are you planning to release this? If so, how do you go about creating a re-make without copyright issues?
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2017 18:51
I will have to change a few things compared to the original in the VR treatment.
The gameplay will be faster because there won't be any delays scrolling/looking around compared to the original.

Absorbing stuff is still the same. You can only absorb things if you can see the square it's on (and you need to absorb via the square)

unless

you placed the item yourself, in which case you can absorb the item by directly pointing at it. In addition to this, you can absorb / place self generated items by targeting the base square / any item in the stack.

You still have to see the base square to place the initial item or absorb any default or sentinel placed items.

Of course, these things can be changed and the pacing of the game will need to be balanced. You could play it really fast and win a simple level in like 10 seconds in VR

I will have all the original gameplay things (hyperspace, meanies, sentries etc.) and almost certainly more due to the "newness" of VR (e.g. leaning round corners, lifting your arm up to reach an unseen by eye / seen by controller situations).
Also, I have an idea to stop the player simply walking around obstacles in real life / VR - literally walking 2 metres to the left or such things.

As for releasing; there's several Sentinel clones out there. I don't plan on charging for it, so the worst I can get is a cease and desist.

I did plan on putting some extras in - perhaps something hunting you? but it all depends on how easy/hard it is to play.
I say that, because there's a problem with a critical function in the VR lib which I can't get working and am waiting for a response from Ron.
Since I made the original game framework for VR, I am yet to get it working 100% with the plugin, which will give me the first chance to see how it actually plays, but it looks amazing in VR at least

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:20:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:20:07