Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Can't load Akeytsu animations by name?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So, today I was trying to some basic animation things, to see what AppGameKit can load and I came across an issue. AppGameKit can load Akeytsu animations if you play animation with "", but it cannot play an animation from the FBX by name. I've included a chicken model with a single "idle" animation I was working on to test: but, I wanted to make sure AppGameKit could load them. So, while it loads the model and animation just fine, it cannot play named animations? So, if I use PlayObjectAnimation with "" as the name, it plays the animation. if I try referencing the animation by name "idle" it says animation not found. (you might want to permanent scale chicken down to 0.01)

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a quirk with AppGameKit? Akeytsu is a very popular indie animation package, so I'd love to be able to get this working.

Thanks!
~~ LillyByte ~~
http://www.dymoria.com
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I dug into this a little and solved the mystery for getting Akeytsu FBX files to work...

If this this: Str( GetObjectNumAnimations( mesh ) ) + " / " + GetObjectAnimationName( mesh, 1 )

It correctly reported the number of animations, BUT the interesting thing was in the name of the animation that was returned.

The name of the idle animation returned was: "AnimStack::idle" instead of just "idle", and once I put AnimStack::idle in the PlayObjectAnimation... it worked. It also worked with over animations.

So, that's how you get Akeytsu animations working with AppGameKit.
~~ LillyByte ~~
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Further Caveats...

FBX animations do not export properly in HTML5 exports.
~~ LillyByte ~~
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2017 15:45
Thank you for sharing this information.
I have similar issues with animated files in general regarding the animation names
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thank you for sharing this information.
I have similar issues with animated files in general regarding the animation names
"

I've solved the HTML5 workaround; you have to export into ASCII FBX format with baked animation, and use AnimStack:: before the animation name.

ASCII + baked anims = best solution for both PC and HTML5 export.
~~ LillyByte ~~
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, so it actually works, somewhat. Been eying this program before. I should have bought it when it was on sale
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Oh, so it actually works, somewhat. Been eying this program before. I should have bought it when it was on sale"

Not just somewhat, if you export with ASCII format, baked animations, and use AnimStack::anim_name it works perfectly... at least for PC and HTML5. I never tried for iOS or Android though.
~~ LillyByte ~~
Akeytsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello LillyByte,

We noticed your message here and we investigated your problems.

It seems that the prefix "AnimStack ::" before the animation names (and other prefixes like "AnimLayer ::" before the layer names) is automatically added by the FBX SDK.

To check it out, we exported an animation from Maya and there were the same prefixes.

But you mentioned previous uses of the original name, what was the source of the export?

Regards,

Akeytsu Development Team
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We noticed your message here and we investigated your problems.

It seems that the prefix "AnimStack ::" before the animation names (and other prefixes like "AnimLayer ::" before the layer names) is automatically added by the FBX SDK.

To check it out, we exported an animation from Maya and there were the same prefixes.

But you mentioned previous uses of the original name, what was the source of the export?"

Thank you for the response and looking into it, but this isn't an Akeytsu issue at all. It's definitely a FBX loading quirk for AppGameKit that I just wanted to make sure people were aware of, that they had to include AnimStack:: prefix to get FBX animations to work with AppGameKit. That wasn't mentioned in the AppGameKit documentation from what I could see, so it took some fumbling to figure it out.
~~ LillyByte ~~
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 15:13
"AnimStack::" isn't added by AppGameKit, it sounds like the exporter added it on it's way through the FBX SDK. Playing animations with an empty string for the name will play the first available animation regardless of name.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 17:56 Edited at: 14th Nov 2017 17:56
I have Akeytsu although I haven't use it yet due to the lack of my free time. I believe this is is a very promising app since it is unique. I have always wanted a specified application to 3D skinning and animation since I use Silo3D which is a fantastic application for game modelling and I've never managed to got familiar with the UI of Blender3D
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have Akeytsu although I haven't use it yet due to the lack of my free time. I believe this is is a very promising app since it is unique. I have always wanted a specified application to 3D skinning and animation since I use Silo3D which is a fantastic application for game modelling and I've never managed to got familiar with the UI of Blender3D"

Akeytsu is amazing, I snapped it up the moment I saw it on Steam way back when.

I used to use Silo for modeling too; I loved it, but then I discovered Nvil. If you like Silo, you might love Nvil even more. Nvil is just as easy to use, but, with much more polygon modeling power than commercial packages like Maya, MODO, etc.
~~ LillyByte ~~
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 22:17 Edited at: 28th Nov 2017 19:47
Quote: " I've never managed to got familiar with the UI of Blender3D"

Me either.

That is why I went/stuck with Milkshape3D and FragMOTION. (back in FPSC classic)

I mainly use FragMOTION these days, now that I have gotten familiar with its UI.

It is low cost, powerful, and has a friendly UI so it is easy to learn to use for beginning modelers. (which is what I was when I started using it)

I still consider myself an amateur modeler and animator, but I can create, texture (UV mapping), and animate my own 3d models, so I am very happy with FragMOTION.

The only problem I ran into with named animations using fragMOTION was the hyphens in the animation name of FPSC models.

The animation name is Anim-1in the FPSC models, which had the hyphen changed to an underscore when exporting as an X file in fragMOTION resulting in Anim_1.

That was easily corrected, after discovering it by examining a text version of the X file in Wordpad.

Quote: ""AnimStack::" isn't added by AppGameKit, it sounds like the exporter added it on it's way through the FBX SDK. Playing animations with an empty string for the name will play the first available animation regardless of name."

Thank you for the inside information on that Paul!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 11:48:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 11:48:49