Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / questions about AppGameKit Official Tutorial Guide Vol 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2017 17:51
Hi,
I have 3 question:

1) the AppGameKit Official Tutorial Guide Vol 2 if updated for all command of AppGameKit 2 ?

2) all the examaple code in AppGameKit Official Tutorial Guide Vol 2 is written in tier1 or tier 2?

3) AppGameKit Official Tutorial Guide Vol 2 includes all chapters of AppGameKit Official Tutorial Guide Vol 1 ? or the 2 book are different ?
I want say this: to learn all command of AppGameKit you must buy both book ?

thank you

kwandjeen
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

1) I don't understand sorry

2) Tier1

3) it's a different book

Cordialy
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2017 07:57
If you are just starting to learn AppGameKit, then buying both volumes is probably the quickest way to get up to speed with the language (I may be a bit bias). But you can certainly
learn AppGameKit without the books (especially if you already know another programming language) by using these forums and looking at the Help pages available from within
AGK's IDE.

Even after the 1900 odd pages that make up the two volumes, they still don't cover EVER statement in AGK2 BASIC but they do much more than just covermost of the commands of the language; they have extra features such as how to create your own
GUI controls and how to write the AI component of a game as well as the coding of several complete games.

If you go to the Digital Skills website (www.digital-skills.co.uk) you'll find a fuller description of what's in each volume.

vitp4145
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 13:01 Edited at: 21st Nov 2017 13:05
I own both the 1st and 2nd volumes of this book series. I found vol 1 to be invaluable.

Vol 2 looks choc full of interesting stuff, but there are a few omissions. I am currently working my way through all the functions in Chapt 4 that shows how to create GUI widgets.

Sadly, some of the functions referenced in the code sections of the book would seem to be absent - for example getGUIButtonState(). It is called in handleGUIDialogBox() but there is no code for it in the text.

If I have missed something, could a kind soul help me out?
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 16:32
If you give me some page numbers, I'll fix it over the next few days and TGC will issue the update. I did do a lot of changes to that chapter, so it's quite possible that this is a case of an older function name not having been changed.
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 06:06
The corrected version of the book should now be available on your Steam account. If anyone finds any more errors, just let me know at comments@digital-skills.co.uk and the book will be updated within a couple of days.
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 09:20
The file board.obj (used in Chapter 12) was omitted from the book's resources file. This omission has now been corrected. You can download the updated resources zip file by clicking on the link in the home page of Digital Skills (www.digital-skills.co.uk).

I'm also working on an update to the book to add the new features introduced in the latest version of AppGameKit (2017.12.12). This update should be available in the next few weeks as a free download to everyone who has bought the book.
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 23:16
Thanks, the books are being a great resource for me.

Keep up the good work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:28:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:28:31