Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Bug hunting is fun, right? RIGHT!?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2017 20:21 Edited at: 10th Nov 2017 20:25
Ok, here is the scenario - just got something quite complex done, before lunch even. After lunch, do the easy part, and do some UI tweaking.

The easy part was showing four specific sprites on screen.

Which didn't happen.

After being well pleased with myself during lunch having gotten the complex part working just fine in very short time, a few hours after I felt dismayed and frustrated.

Three hours spent to no avail trying to figure out why four f*cking sprites did not want to display. Tried everything, wrote tests, went through the code line by line. And then packed up my laptop, shut down my office desktop, and headed home. Defeated.

With a stop to the local liquor-store mind you. Hey, it is a Friday and I deserve it!

Anyhow, after dinner and a couple of Jäger and beers later, I cracked up the laptop again and I think the Ballmer Effect kicked in (google it).

What I spent hours trying to figure out at the office suddenly became apparent...

My routine for creating new single-frame sprites expected a height parameter through a imported datatype, which the dataset for my new sprites did not set. Unlike most other sprites in the project, that are multiframe and have their own multi-frame routine where the height is simply set to -1 to keep the aspect of the original image, bypassing any need to set height.

A sprite with height zero (= not set) do not to show...

Doh!

Now I just need get this little project presentable before a board-meeting on Wednesday. Plug in some multiplayer stuff between the host and clients. Should be easy, everything is under control! I know what I am doing!

Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2017 23:32
The frustration of no runtime error but something just not appearing is a unique kind of pain. I have felt it too.

Thinking, this is probably something simple and quick. Don't need to use the debugger. Just print out some variables... and then three hours later, you're still at it.

So yes, I agree - bug-hunting is a special kind of fun!

J
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 00:28
Quote: " Bug hunting is fun, right? RIGHT!?"

RIGHT!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 15:06
That is a big bug there mr. Conjured Entertainment - I don't think it'll compile
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 23:01 Edited at: 11th Nov 2017 23:03
Sounds familiar lol
Happens all the time that the actual problem is too simple to realize ^^

I've experienced the Ballmer Peak on several occasions, but I never knew there actually existed an expression for it

PSY
PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 00:12
Lmao, happens all the time and not just with programming, I do a lot of home mechanics also, I buy, rebuild and resell motorbikes for fun and profit although there's not much of either most of the time, sometimes the best thing to do is down tools and walk away, a solution usually presents itself when I am thinking about something completely unrelated.

The 'Ballmer Peak' scenario does help, I find when there's to much blood in my alcohol system then things fall apart.
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
I just spent the last week hunting down a bug in my server code. It was an evil null pointer, I thought it was related to the resource system I was implemented. But, after taking the resource system back out, the bug persisted. Came to find it was in one, obscure little routine where, once in a blue moon, under certain circumstances, the function would return a -1 which was being plugged into a pointer request,

..... which means I ripped out a whole resource system that was working looking for a bug that had nothing to do with it. Fun times.
~~ LillyByte ~~
http://www.dymoria.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 19:56:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 19:56:47