Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Motivation and such like

Author
User Banned
Posted: 18th Nov 2017 15:32
Hello guys

I seem to have come to a stumbling block over last few months (whether it been work or just tired), that any new projects doesn't seem to ether want to get started (due to inspirations of future games) or existing cannot get completed to the world of G-Play or steam.

So just to message really to try and get some ideas on how you all keep motivated to keep going for our own projects.

Any good motivational ideas would be good and very helpful

Thanks

D
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2017 16:20
I find breaking tasks down into lists is helpful. Even the most daunting task can be broken down into smaller more manageable (and a lot less daunting!) lists.

And sometimes you just need a break. Maybe even a few days where you don't even think about the project (This is harder than it sounds).
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2017 18:03
The road to a finished project is paved with abandoned ones...

My biggest problem isn't motivation per-se, but rather distractions. New projects, new ways of doing stuff, new things to learn and experiment with. The list is long.

The good news is that I've picked up a ton of tech-skills, and a job in the field.

The bad news, is that I've not released any personal projects - unless you count a few tools I got contracted to do before I got the dev job.

So I suppose, to keep motivation up, make sure there is a reward at the end of it
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2017 01:34 Edited at: 19th Nov 2017 01:42
Quote: "So just to message really to try and get some ideas on how you all keep motivated to keep going for our own projects"

Think big, develop small.

Save all the bells and whistles for updates and get a basic version of your game out with just the minimal functionality for fun.

That way you can get a feeling of accomplishment, rather than get down in the dumps about not finishing anything, or making enough progress.

A good feeling of accomplishment can be a good motivational booster, so a quick casual game in a coding contest would be a good break from monotony.

So, if you don't want to try a 3 to 7 day coding challenge for a fresh start on something, then pick your simplest project that is closest to being finished.

Finish it before you start on something else, and have a reasonable deadline set.

Quote: "due to inspirations of future games"

That is my biggest problem...new ideas. (write them down so you don't forget, but put them aside)

They can get you side tracked from your current objective really fast.

Stick to the plan man... finish a small project, one step at a time.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2017 10:32
Check lists.

1. Things you need to do. Don't delete them when they are done, check them off. Then you can see progress. You should also set a priority on each one (a simple 1-5 is sufficient)
2. A V2 list. Anything that is not essential to the game can be added to the V2 list. This stays untouched until V1 is out the door.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2017 23:52
@Batvink - I like the idea of a v2 list. I shall start using that I think.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2017 18:13
Thanks guys for those little tips - all of which are good things

@=Prof= break down to more manageable tasks - makes perfect sense

@Dybing - You said it perfectly - Distractions is the danger word for me getting things going.

@Conjoured - Think big - develop small --- Thats the difficult bit too - cause i tend to do the opposite and get no where fast after a week or too development

@Batfink - thanks - I will certainly try the V2 tick lists too

Cheers to all, will take them all into account

D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:26:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:26:05