Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Can anyone help with Bump mapping

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2017 05:45
Was just wondering if someone had some basic Bumpmapping code. IDK what Im doing wrong. I made a simple brick texture and made various normal maps or what not with Crazy bump but when I turn on bumpmapping with SET BUMP MAPPING ON it just washes out my entire plan and I get nothing.

Is it possible my video card does not support it or am I doing something wrong? I just want to be able to do better graphics on my game and would love a down to earth tutorial if anyone is feeling up to it. Nothing I have tried has worked so far and the other Tutorials on the site have produced no results either

Should the code above work or am I not setting something up correctly?
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 03:21 Edited at: 21st Nov 2017 03:22
With the state Dark Basic Professional is in, I'm not sure this will work with your version or Windows version. So, here is a still of what I see on my monitor. Media attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 05:05 Edited at: 21st Nov 2017 05:12
I forgot to update, I did manage to get it working earlier, You can see in my Code above that I attempted to turn on Bump Mapping before Texturing the object and while I don't really see the difference apparently DarkBasic Or Direct X does.

As soon as I just changed the order I was greeted with a nice Looking rippled stone wall.

Hey is it possible to make the bump map an animated sprite by any chance to get a water type effect?

I just want to be able to use Direct X and DarkBasic to its full potential and while the internet is loaded with Beginner Tutorials, Ones that show you how to do more advanced effects even stuff as simple as Bump Mapping and Light Mapping are sporadic to say the least. I want to be able to make some graphics the best I can but it don't seem like as many people want to share that as they do teaching me how to say Hello World lol.

Any Suggestions on Advanced Effects anyone? How about Shaders and Light Maps, How would I add these? I have written Shaders before that I used in a VC++ program would it be the same deal here I would believe right?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 23:24 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2017 23:27
Have a look at the play animation to image command

Shaders are used through the effect command set load effect, set object effect etc. Also look at the texture stage flags of the texture object command
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 23:36
Will do, thank you.

That should help make more advanced effects such as water correct?

I made a simple Demo the other day using the Matrix command and making a large Matrix , Setting GHOST MATRIX ON then adjusting the height of every Tile using the SIN() command. It looked kind of cool, Sort of like something you would see on the original Playstation, a little Polygonish but over all kind of cool. Slow as all hell though and would be a serious burden on any game I tried to use it in. I would think that Some sort of animated Texture and some Shaders to smooth off the entire thing could help make the effect better.
Sphere sphere = new Sphere(0.5f);
InsanelyRedundantJava insanelyredundantjava = new InsanelyRedundantJava(Redundancy1, Redundancy2);

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:53:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:53:05