Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Can I compile Tier 2 code in Geany?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 07:42 Edited at: 21st Nov 2017 07:43
Hey,

To make a short story long ... I've just bought a cheap and low-spec laptop that only has an embedded 32GB SSD, so I want to install as little as possible on it and use a USB 3.0 drive for files etc.
I want to be able to write AppGameKit Tier2 code and was wondering which IDE I could use that had the smallest installed space but then I noticed this in Geany:

What's going on there?
Does that mean I can use Geany to compile C++ code? If so, what do I have to do to get that working? If not, can anyone recommend a viable compiler with a small footprint?

Thanks

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 01:50
Quote: "Does that mean I can use Geany to compile C++ code?"

NO. This is just where you want the AppGameKit files to be downloaded to when it updates.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Westa
Years of Service
User Offline
The system is heavily focused around visual studio 2015 at the moment - just sayin.
Westa
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 10:16
Thanks,
That's what I suspected. I don't really want to install any varient of Visual Studio if I can avoid it.
Ideally I want to be able to code and compile with something very small. I hear the Notepad++ can compile C++ code (although I haven't tried it) and since Notepad++ is on my essential installs list that would be perfect.
Does anybody know if I would be able to link the AppGameKit librarys and use them in Notepad++?

Thanks.
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 11:03
you need a compiler for notepad ++ that you embed there. but then you will get the same problems as markus in this thread.
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2017 07:28
Bugger!
It looks like I have little choice but to install VS.
I'm already regretting my desiscion to buy a laptop with 32GB non-upgradable storage. All I have installed is:
Windows 10
Chrome
Notepad++
Total Commander
So just the essentials, and already I only have 5GB left on the C: Drive

AGK is installed and working from a USB which is a bonus but I can't imagine that VS would be happy to be installed on USB.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2017 13:25 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2017 13:33
@Scraggle
Quote: "buy a laptop with 32GB "

buy extern ssd usb3 its small and did not require a power adaptor. i believe vs 2017 complete with everything was ~ 80 GB.

look also for system restore points how much % they use or you reserved. also remove old updates with device clean up tool or something else.

in my last cleanup manually i free 20 GB because alot of trash!
AGK (Steam) V2017.09.25 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.11.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2017 15:55 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2017 15:57
I think this should be possible. The main question is:
How to compile Visual Studio Projects without visual studio?

The f5 compile hotkey for notepad++ is easy,
also other n++ plugins to improve workflow like "explorer"...

Your problem should be linked to some Microsoft NetFrameworks, that you definitly have to install in order to build your projects
and some batch skills.

Maybe there are some hints somewhere on the internet.
EDIT: https://superuser.com/questions/604953/how-can-i-compile-a-net-project-without-having-visual-studio-installed

Maybe you just need a "MSBuild.exe" guide or reference.

[/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:02:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:02:04