Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Nintendo Switch Export?

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2017 08:27
Since the Switch could be seen as a very powerful OUYA or an very powerful Raspberry Pi, I think, it would be possible to get AppGameKit Tier 1 and Tier 2 "Apps" to the Switch.

XBox One has a Dev-Mode, where I could try out UWP-Apps on my normal (non-Dev-Kit-Xbox) and also the Razer Forge TV has something like that.

Another idea is, to support the Joy-Con-Controllers on PC/Linux/Mac/Android, or at least in AppGameKit like some of the VR-Controllers, but without the need of the Oculus or the Vive.

What are your thoughts about that?
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2017 09:47 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2017 09:48
the wiiu had html5 support but nintendo said there is a special developing hardware required with costs ...
you know this web site?
https://developer.nintendo.com/
the first step is to "Register as a Nintendo Developer"
AGK (Steam) V2017.09.25 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.11.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 07:27
@Markus,

my question is more about AppGameKit and TGC. Unity and Unreal have Exportfunctions. Since AppGameKit supports C++ and can export HTML and make APKs, I think it would be possible to develope for the Switch with AppGameKit, but I don't know it for sure, if I can do it with Tier 1 Basic and HTML-export is often to limited.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 07:37
from agk i think there is only the html5 way in hope that it works.
is any "Nintendo Switch" dev here?
AGK (Steam) V2017.09.25 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.11.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 21:15 Edited at: 24th Nov 2017 21:38
I understand some NDAs, but the questin would be for me, for the next month: Do I have to switch to Unity or Unreal Engine, or can I trust in TGC for creating something, to export to Switch later in 2018 maybe? Like there is a way with UWP Apps.

For what I understand, at first my game has to be some successful on another plattform before, but what if ... ? So I could use now AppGameKit for Android, Xbox or Steam, but would I have to code all new, if I would use now AppGameKit Tier 1?

I read here and there, and maybe it is a step ahead and I have to develope the game at first But it also would take some time for TGC to develope a possible plugin or export-compiler, so that's why I am asking now and not in a year from know.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/general-discussion/111304-nintendo-switch-development-requirements
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/03/03/unity-devs-shine-on-switch/
https://insights.dice.com/2017/01/16/develop-nintendo-switch/

Maybe some AGK-Dev have thought about the Switch. I think, that it has to be something like a nVidea Shield Tablet or Shield TV with Android/Linux. In the Settings Menu from the Switch under licences there are some parts about Android Open Source written
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 23:39
From what I have heard, engine support for consoles is a bit of a political game. Manufacturers make deals with engine developers, etc, for licensing and getting access to their consoles. It means that if you're not some huge deal like Unreal or Unity, you aren't likely to get through to the chocolate factory.
Help out a fellow dev! Download and rate my games! They're free!

Wizzed Off! - (Android) (iOS)
God of Thunder - (Android) (iOS)
Extreme Lawn Mowing - (Android) (iOS)
Drunken Heroes - (Android) (iOS)

And you can get Fluffy Knuckleduster merchandise at our new store!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2017 09:26
currently switch is not listed there!?
for using unity with wiiu it was a extra version of unity+ some annoying nintendo sdk installs and in the end you need extra dev hardware too.
if people already developed with newer version of unity u need install unity twice?
for this extra dev hardware i wrote them a mail for this idiocy.
advertising that said they support everything is half-truth.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2017 08:32
Probably because Nintendo and the likes want to prevent piracy + make extra money on devs, so they do not just open their doors and show the guts to just about everyone?
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2017 20:00
I think it is more a quality control thing. To avoid the problems like in iOS-Store, Android Store, Windows Store and Steam also. And the other thing is, to avoid public hardware specs to soon. To control the information about your new hardware and specs.
Also the thing is, if somebody pays 10.000,- + $ for a Dev Kit or Engine, he/she would not mess around with it, like it could be, if all would be for free.

XBox 360, Dreamcast and so on, worked similar, I think.

And there is a way e.g. to get your Game to Playstation 4 and XBox with GameMaker Studio, but you have to be a registered Dev at Sony or Microsoft and pay a fee to YoYoGames for the Export Module.

But since Nintendo is saying, that every engine with C++ could be used, and the hardware is like an nVidea Shield, I think, that it is more like an special APK-export how it's done for Amazon Fire TV or the OUYA.

I think the problem here is more, that there are not many (if some) games out, made in GameGuru or AppGameKit 2, wich sold as many as some of the Unity or Unreal Engine games. But there are games like "Thimbleweed Park" or "Stardew Valley", or "Minecraft", wich are made from scratch in C++ or JAVA, I think. Maybe they need an Unreal Container or something.

So TGC have to have a game, wich they can offer Nintendo for the Switch, to became a Nindie or something and tell us, if an Export to the Switch could be a real thing in the future of AGK2. The don't have to say how exactly that works, because of the NDA But YES or NO, would be possible, I think

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:33:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:33:42