Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 22:17 Edited at: 14th Dec 2017 23:17
This is a simple little tool for viewing your objects that you plan to use in AppGameKit .

It should allow you to load models compatible with AppGameKit, and get a little info about the model and its animation(s) if it has any.

This will display,,,
The Model's Name
The number of animations that it has.
The name of the animation you have selected.
The number of frames for the selected animation. (starts at 0 like the AppGameKit times for playing animations)

Controls...
Left Mouse Button - Hold down to move object left, right, up, or down.
Right Mouse Button - Hold down to rotate the object left or right.
Mouse Wheel - Move camera forward or backward for zooming object.

W,S,A,D - Tilt and pan the camera.

Q,E - Rotate the object.

Enter, Right Shift - Move object up or down.

Arrow Keys - Move the camera forward, back, left or right.

The folder opens your model's file.

If it has multiple animations then the navigation buttons will appear just right of the folder.

The large buttons at the top in the middle are for playing animation(s).

First is your frames per second for the speed of the animation, just click to increment and it will cycle back to 1 after you exceed the 20 limit.

Then you have the Play/Stop button, which will play the animation for the Start and End frames you have selected at the far right.

Next is the Reset button, which will as you guessed reset the animation frames selected back to the original settings.

Next is a display for the current frame that is playing. (or the start frame if not yet playing)

To the right of these are the Start and End frames for the animation playback.

The Start frame is at the top and the End frame below.

Click the arrows to increment or decrement the frame numbers. (holding down will navigate faster)

I may add more to this but I am releasing it now for those who can put it to good use as it is.

P.S.
The "Brute" character in the image above is not my work (it's a model created by Mark Blosser AKA Bond1), and it's only used here as an AppGameKit object example.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 22:39 Edited at: 11th Dec 2017 22:42
Great job !

it could be cool to be able to open en entire folder to make a 3D Object Browser (few existing 3D Browser i tried doesn't support animation), then load each model of this folder (with recursive scan :p and with neutral diffuse tex or wireframe shader and make them appear on a side bar (small size) with scrolling capabilities if too many objects. When you click on an object or up/down with arrow keys, it loads it as you already do when you select your file manually.

That the ultimate tool i need ! (but have no time for it so ... ).

Keep up the good work

Edit: Why is the FPS limited to 20 ?
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 23:02 Edited at: 11th Dec 2017 23:17
Quote: "Edit: Why is the FPS limited to 20 ?"

FPSC Models Rock!

That is more than enough to keeps things looking smooth since it is tweening between key frames. (too many more is just padding the file size)

If this is a problem for a lot of people then I will raise that limit, but most of the models I work with have 20 [key] frames or less per second of animations.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 23:10
Is the zip in the first post the latest? i downloaded it and it seems to only move my model very slowly using the mouse (see attached model)

Could you add support for the following commands;

SetObjectTransparency() // For transparent textures
SetObjectDepthWrite( ) // For double sided textures
SetObjectCullMode() // For transparent/double sided textures
SetImageWrapU() // For repeating textures
SetImageWrapV()

I think there are a few more commands but these are the ones i've used so far.

The grass texture in the attached model is repeated using SetImageWrapU/V()

Right now i'm texturing an environment and it is a very different approach than texturing a single model

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 23:29 Edited at: 11th Dec 2017 23:45
Quote: "Is the zip in the first post the latest? i downloaded it and it seems to only move my model very slowly using the mouse (see attached model)"

I tried it on your model and it seemed to move fine on this end.

I set it up for moving normal when zoomed in fairly close. (normal movement when zoomed out was too fast when closer to object to see detail)

If you are zoomed way out then it will seem to be moving slower. (this is the trade off, but I might make two speeds for movement based on distance from camera)

Quote: "Could you add support for the following commands;

SetObjectTransparency() // For transparent textures
SetObjectDepthWrite( ) // For double sided textures
SetObjectCullMode() // For transparent/double sided textures
SetImageWrapU() // For repeating textures
SetImageWrapV()

I think there are a few more commands but these are the ones i've used so far.

The grass texture in the attached model is repeated using SetImageWrapU/V()

Right now I'm texturing an environment and it is a very different approach than texturing a single model"

I have not used those fancy texturing features yet, so I will have to look into them.

I want to keep this simple, and I am only working on it with spare time between other projects, so additional features may be slow coming.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 00:20
ok no worries
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 14:02 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 14:21
Quote: "Edit: Why is the FPS limited to 20 ?"

What limit do you guys think I should raise it to?

Quote: "Could you add support for the following commands;"

I may do something for texturing multiple meshes first, then add features for the various types of texture commands suggested.

After reading and experimenting in your mesh thread, I realized that support for objects with multiple meshes is very important.

I'm thinking of adding 3 more buttons below the animation navigation buttons that will cycle through the meshes, if the model has more than one.

Then, the big texture loading/display buttons on the right would allow you to load the texture for that selected mesh.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 21:40
Just a suggestion but if you look at 3D proggies they implement camera movement similar to this. My proggy is as follows.

ALT+RIGHT_MOUSE = ZOOM (Move up=Zoom in, down=Zoom out)
ALT+LEFT_MOUSE=ROTATE (Notice how you see a circle appear. If you click+drag inside that circle it will rotate like a sphere. If you click+drag outside that circle it will ROLL the camera)
CTRL+LEFT_MOUSE=STRAFE (Or drag the camera around the plane of view)

You can also CLICK and DRAG the center point control (The red/green thing) to move the "Lookat" point

You also have reset camera, fit to view and right/left/top/bottom views. Because you're not modifying the model you could prolly do away with the ALT combination and make it just mouse movement
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2017 20:06 Edited at: 18th Dec 2017 20:57
Quote: "Quote: "Edit: Why is the FPS limited to 20 ?"

What limit do you guys think I should raise it to?"

If I'm not mistaken:
Video usually is 60FPS on LCD's, while film animation is something like 24 to 30FPS to be looking sort of smooth to the naked eye.

Pretty good sofar I must say.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2017 14:08
Quote: "Video usually is 60FPS on LCD's, while film animation is something like 24 to 30FPS to be looking sort of smooth to the naked eye."

Yeah, I know 30 to 60 is normally for film, but I discovered that 20 is plenty smooth enough for 3d game animations when I started using FPSC.

Most of the models I use are either FPSC or my own creations, and I use 20 frames for animations too, just to keep the total number of frames smaller.

You are certainly not limited to 20 when calling your SetObjectAnimationSpeed( objID, speed ) command, but raising it in the viewer would be better for WYSIWYG.

Quote: "Pretty good so far I must say."

Thanks

Kot
Years of Service
User Offline
Strange, Microsoft Security Essentials deletes executable right after unpacking it :o
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 00:14
Quote: "Strange, Microsoft Security Essentials deletes executable right after unpacking it :o "

Unknown Publisher maybe?

Just a simple AppGameKit build, so it should be clean.

Kot
Years of Service
User Offline
It was from your first post in this thread, but after today's re-downloading everything works. Really strange.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2018 16:43
BTW, as MikeMax mentioned a wireframe shader: the latest AppGameKit Shader Pack version contains one, so if you have it should be quite easy to implement.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:55:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:55:57