Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Why is there an image limit?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2018 15:05
Hello

I was just wondering why there is a 8 images per object limit?
It seems that writing shaders is a constant battle with that limit.
Why not 16, 32, 64, 100, 1000, or heck, no limit?

Thanks!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2018 04:30
It might be something to do with performance. I am no expert on 3D (really not very knowledgeable on it at all) but I think maybe every additional texture will require an additional draw call and / or perhaps an additional rendering pass.

I suppose it is also possible that some things such as OpenGL or maybe certain video cards might be limited to 8 as well and that is why they chose that number. But again this is just best guess based on my little understanding of it all.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2018 07:57 Edited at: 19th Jan 2018 08:05
I guess its a hardware limitation, better Graphics cards = more texture unit support.
And OpenGL ES as it supports a wide range of devices (so does AGK) tried to meet the lowest/best compatibility.
I think OpenGL need to assign memory in advance so its faster if you change textures... i.e. not a dynamic range, so not limitless.
Not 100% sure through.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:00:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:00:36