Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Homework and an Announcement

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 18:02 Edited at: 20th Dec 2003 18:03
Ok then. A few days ago, my English teacher gave us a packet of projects we had to finish by friday. After looking around, I chose to create 3 songs. That plan was quickly changed. I decided to recreate two areas in the book "The Pearl" and my teacher said I could program a "touring system" for the scenes in Dark Basic. This means that I would have to make 3D models, and finish the scenes in Dark Basic Pro. Apparently, the 6 hours I had to work on it wasn't nearly enough time to finish it, but I may be persuaded to finish it at another time. But the only screenshot that is halfway decent is one of the title screen.

Nothing much, just inspired by the end of the book when "Kino" throws "The Pearl of the World" back into the ocean from where it came.

------------------------------------------
Now for the announcement. This may make a few people sad, may bring hopes up for others. What little time I have left will not be enough time to finish my competition entry, and I will not be entering the competition. I blame only myself for not getting off my arse maybe a month earlier.

But there is a good side to it. No longer am I restricted to the competition rules! No longer must I have that blasted alien! No longer must I have a 15MB limit! HA HA! FREE TO COMPLETE IT UNDER MY RULES!!!

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
all-righty then.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 23:23
I think i was made to read that book when i was little. I hated it. Is that the one where its a village of people who live on the ocean and dont have much knowledge of the rest of the world. The gather perls and the british get interested. Something about some kid having to travel to britain to get his dad who has been taken? Screens look good for 6 hours.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 01:55
Quote: "I think i was made to read that book when i was little. I hated it. Is that the one where its a village of people who live on the ocean and dont have much knowledge of the rest of the world. The gather perls and the british get interested. Something about some kid having to travel to britain to get his dad who has been taken?"

Well, you're close.

A group of people (probably Native Americans) who live by the sea have to live day by day by finding what little pearls they can on a seabed that once made the King of Spain rich. One day, one of them (Kino) finds a pearl the size of a sea gulls egg, and the entire town knows about it. But things get out of hand when thieves (probably sent by the greedy doctor) try to steal the pearl. Kino murders one of them, and the others burn down his hut. He then runs from the authorities. Eventually, he is trapped in a cave with his wife and son, and with the trackers near by, Kino gets hasty. But before the conflict, one of them hears Kino's baby crying, and blows his head off. Kino kills two of them (maybe the third was just knocked unconcious) and Kino returns to his village to throw the pearl back into the ocean.

Quote: "Screens look good for 6 hours.
"

Bah, that took two hours. Would have taken one if I went a bit quicker (and didnt have the program load all of the media at start up )

The Last 4 were spent on the first scene (which is not shown, and will not be shown until I get off my arse to complete it).

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 02:27
Is this book called The Black Pearl o_O I read that in 6th grade and hated it!!

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 02:32
I have not read this book but I hate it already.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 02:40
Quote: "Is this book called The Black Pearl o_O I read that in 6th grade and hated it!!
"

No, its The Pearl by John Steinbeck. Its meant for 9th graders (as far as my understanding of the school conspiracy...err, system goes).

Quote: "I have not read this book but I hate it already"

You have very good judgement. If you do read it, read it in one night (only about 80 pages) and only remember important stuff. Then you wont have to worry about it in class, and you can just doodle or something (like I did )

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 02:45
Books. You want me to read that? Your foul words bring darkness to my soul. And yes, I shall doodle.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:03
book? I hate book! book is stupid!

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:08
I was just going to say that

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 05:02
That book isnt meant for 9th graders. I also read it when i was little. 6th grade i think.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 06:22
Quote: "book? I hate book! book is stupid!"

I was just about to say that also.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
we had to read it sophomore year preston (i'm a junior now)

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 10:25
The book sucked. Had to read it when I was in 1st year. Catcher in the Rye is the coolest I've ever read, though.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 13:01
Knowledge of Angels is amazing.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 13:23
Quote: "That book isnt meant for 9th graders. I also read it when i was little. 6th grade i think.
"

Quote: "we had to read it sophomore year preston (i'm a junior now)"

I knew I was wrong. All of the 9th graders in my school have to read it.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 16:43 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 16:45
I must have grown up in a wierd school system, I don't remember any mandated books that had to be read after grade school. I got away with reading a lot of fantasy and sci-fi books high school.

To keep it slightly on topic, programming/modelling based on books is always hard to do since people always have their own visions of the characters and places in such stories.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 19:52
Yea, that pearl must have been extremly hard to model...

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 23:10
Quote: "Yea, that pearl must have been extremly hard to model...
"

Not really (honestly, make object sphere 1,10 : set object smoothing 1,100, is that too hard). Took me a while to get the fog right though.

Quote: "I must have grown up in a wierd school system, I don't remember any mandated books that had to be read after grade school. I got away with reading a lot of fantasy and sci-fi books high school.
"

Lucky.

Quote: "To keep it slightly on topic, programming/modelling based on books is always hard to do since people always have their own visions of the characters and places in such stories. "

Not really making models of the characters, just the scenery (thats all my teacher wanted anyway).

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 20:23
Quote: "
"

Not really (honestly, make object sphere 1,10 : set object smoothing 1,100, is that too hard). Took me a while to get the fog right though."

He was kidding Preston

I beat you all to the phrase

I am mischeivious
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 21:46
Quote: "Not really (honestly, make object sphere 1,10 : set object smoothing 1,100, is that too hard). Took me a while to get the fog right though.
"

no sense of sarcasm huh?

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 23:19
Quote: "Quote: "
"

Not really (honestly, make object sphere 1,10 : set object smoothing 1,100, is that too hard). Took me a while to get the fog right though."

He was kidding Preston

I beat you all to the phrase
"

Quote: "Quote: "Not really (honestly, make object sphere 1,10 : set object smoothing 1,100, is that too hard). Took me a while to get the fog right though.
"

no sense of sarcasm huh?
"

Wasnt sure if I should take that as sarcasm or not...considering the person who said it

j/k, knew it was sarcasm, just replied with my own

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 02:02
oh, sorry, yours didn't come across as well as megaton's did, considering the one who said it

I am mischeivious
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 01:56
Quote: "just replied with my own "

That's supposed to be sarcasm...?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:41:22
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:41:22