Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Anyone here using GameGuru?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When I bought the AppGameKit VR Bundle, it included this GameGuru thing. And while I had my first VR app running in minutes, I had never really gotten started with GameGuru.

Besides the learning curve, it also looked like it was designed around generic shooters, something I don't care for. I'm unsure if it even is usable if my project don't fit into that.

It also looks like there is some included shaders -- but do they work with VR?

The user guide says "It will not play an entire GameGuru game within AppGameKit" ... so some of the stuff will be broken, perhaps?

Still, I'm tempted by those GameGuru megapacks, would be nice to have a some stuff to play around with!

What says you?
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 16:49 Edited at: 8th Feb 2018 17:55
Not sure exactly what you are asking but I bought GameGuru and dug into it for a couple of weeks many months back (rare summer time projects). I normally don't like GUI products like this but I found GG to be very logical and powerful. You can basically create whatever you like because you can program additional functionality/customize through the scripting system.

It also makes it incredibly easy to design 3D game worlds and if you get the GGLoader you can load those creations into your AppGameKit projects even.

Anyway this is my first test project building and populating a game world (including creating the simple low poly tree) and playtesting it.

And here I created a new area just testing the world building tools and graphics settings and so forth.

Here is a good tutorial on building an rpg...

I think it is pretty cool overall. I imagine if a person took the time to deeply learn the product they could create a quite impressive game. For example on YT you can find videos on how to change the default stat panel that normally appears in lower rifht hand corner. As usual I think it is a case of you can get out of it in proportion to the effort & time you put into mastering it.

You may want to check out the Work In Progress board over at the GameGuru forums to see what people are creating with it.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 17:05
I think most people use GameGuru purely as a level editor, and use Prebens GGLoader to get it all into AGK. (Where you can then VR it.)
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 17:48
Quote: "I think most people use GameGuru purely as a level editor, and use Prebens GGLoader to get it all into AGK. (Where you can then VR it.)"

yep, works nicely as a level editor

as for "It will not play an entire GameGuru game within AppGameKit" - that's because gg loader won't convert scripts or AI logic (beyond a few basics like doors or "run/shoot at you" type AI) but otherwise pretty much everything will work out of the box (though of course AppGameKit can limit some things depending on the way the model is made etc).

but Game Guru can also make games on it's own (not just shooters, that was just its original plan), you just need to put up with the bugs and things not working great as it's still very much in development (though most of the bugs and issues aren't noticeable if you are just using it to design a level for AGK) - and it's windows only.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 21:27 Edited at: 8th Feb 2018 21:29
Looking good.

Few questions:
--The animated vegetation, is that also working in AppGameKit when ported using the GameGuru Loader?
(For that would be pretty awesome, saving lot's of coding)

- How large can an outdoor environment be?

- Also restrictions in AppGameKit were mentioned. Anything in particular?
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 21:31 Edited at: 8th Feb 2018 21:44
@Rick I don't know if the animated grass is or not. This was all super easy & fast in GameGuru just thrown together while I was learning it last summer. Think it uses a shader not sure. Was just an option. There are loads of options for customizing the terrain and looks in general. And graphics are very good quality IMO.

There is a thread over in the Showcase forum for the GGLoader and you can ask the creator too. I know there is a lot of info in it. I check it out occasionally to see what he has added since last time.

I have not tried the GGLoader yet because last I read it was an hours long process on the initial conversion import. Much like baking in Unity and similar.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 21:40
Ah, ok I'll check that. Thanks.
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
I wonder if i can just load the level without the fps game function.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 13:57
Quote: "I wonder if i can just load the level without the fps game function."

in GG you can take control of the camera with lua so yes you can make other types of games with some coding.
in gg loader you can just edit the code to suit.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 00:26 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 00:27
Quote: "--The animated vegetation, is that also working in AppGameKit when ported using the GameGuru Loader? "

Sure it will also work in AppGameKit , just paint your grass in GameGuru and it will also sway in AGK.

Quote: "- Also restrictions in AppGameKit were mentioned. Anything in particular?"

That is mainly animated objects that use scaled bones , AppGameKit dont support that , most of the animated objects that comes with GG works fine , but there is a few that have scaled bones like some of the animated doors dont work, in that case you must use a door that do not use scaled bones.

Quote: "- How large can an outdoor environment be?"

Large , the same size as in GameGuru.

Quote: "I have not tried the GGLoader yet because last I read it was an hours long process on the initial conversion import. Much like baking in Unity and similar."

Some times up to 2 hours , but hey its only a one time conversion process, so just watch a movie while it convert

Quote: "I wonder if i can just load the level without the fps game function."

In GG Loader you can set it up as you like , it has a lot of setting where you control what function you like to use, like:
global addshooting = 1 // Add guns to chars and enable them to shoot.
global useveg = 1 // include vegetation on level.

Think i made 4 different types of grass you can use , but you can also make your own
Subscribe and checkout great AppGameKit video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:24:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:24:03