Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] #1RoomRPG currently still unnamed gamejam project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 18:43 Edited at: 8th Feb 2018 21:34
Hi everyone! After a few 2D related projects I decided about a week ago I would try my hand at some 3D and physics related stuff to learn AppGameKit 2 better. Development always has it's highs and lows, but I definitely like AppGameKit 2 a lot. Especially the current ease with which to make Android games with it. Below is a short progress video on one of my projects so far:

I tend to need a bit of an incentive to start and finish my projects, so that's why I choose a game jam with a theme to join. This is also forcing me to learn the AppGameKit engine fairly quickly, so if you've noticed more and more questions from me on this forum that's mostly why hahah.

Anyway, just wanted to share what I'm working on. Movement in this is still extremely basic, without character rotation and animations, largely just there to check the physics.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
By the way, not sure why my Youtube video isn't embedded, any ideas? I am of course still new here, so maybe that's why?
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 19:02
Only this of your tube code inside brackets.
rEfNHYt4WVo
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 19:07
The artwork looks pretty sweet and will stick out so a good selection.
If you have windows 10 so press windows logo and g so do you have a built in screen recorder that is better then many more expensive ones.
Record all my videos with it.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 21:36 Edited at: 8th Feb 2018 23:14
Thanks!

I never knew there was a built in screen recorder, thanks. That definitely beats using my phone hahah.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
A short update on animating the character. The floating was already fixed, however I wanted to use Crouch3DPhysicsCharacterController to get the height right using that function. That sadly didn't quite work well. Any value of crouching below 45 and the physics started to freak out in the ground, despite the model being above it. What didn't help either was that the Stand3DPhysicsCharacterController did not revert back to the original height at all, but more like 80% of it.
As there's no way to change the 'stand' values, I decided to go with what looks visually best and just offset the model in the animation itself (see attachment image).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Some more progress... I have begun some more work on the simple inventory system.

Still not sure the type of movement and control scheme really works well or if I need to go with a point-n-click or RPG tap to move towards style control.

Anyway, the deadline of the game jam is closing in, so maybe I won't have time to tweak all that until after a more playable game in terms of RPG aspects is finished. I am enjoying the project though, so will try to finish this for an official release.

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2018 14:41
Inventory fits well with the rest
You still dont use win logo g to record ?
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You still dont use win logo g to record ?"

I will very soon. I've already tried and works great, but have a few debug texts I want to remove first and finish a few features before the next video.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2018 16:43 Edited at: 24th Feb 2018 16:44
Still lots of work to do before I can show some more gameplay stuff. I did finish a quick and simple gold shader though. Probably something that could be done with just a texture alone, but it was good practice either way.

Attachments

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick update and name change. It's new working title and likely final title is now Cube House Kings. I've also decided the project will have to take longer than the One Room RPG deadline this week, partly because I've been ill these last few days, so I'm not going to rush it. Can't really, even if I would have wanted to.

Have learnt a lot about AppGameKit 2 doing this game project and has been exciting. By the way, the video was recorded on a Surface Book, however when doing the recording, the touch screen control doesn't work very well so I ended up using the mouse for controls. This means simultaneous control that you would have on mobile appears a bit broken. It works fine on a Galaxy Note 8, including simultaneous walking and jumping and such.

Also, there is still an animation glitch in my code somewhere. Either that or there are collisions happening I'm unaware of.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Question: is there a way to record the footage from my mobile phone directly?? The footage as shown above is not very accurate in how the game actually controls...

Any ideas, well other then just taking a DSLR camera and try to find a lighting where the screen isn't a huge reflector / mirror for the surroundings of my room hahah.

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Some of the most recent updates to my game so far:

Still a lot of work to do though. It seems recording in full screen using Windows + G results in more acceptable touch screen response on my Surface Book. I think I have to add some sounds soon, it still feels a bit empty without any effects or music.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2018 10:44
Use an app to record while playing on mobile, I have DU recorder which works great for android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duapps.recorder
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks smallg !
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 12:25
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty good, but a bit slow at the moment. I was working on some more models to expand the level some more. Experimenting with skyboxes and such, but also looking into gameplay elements. Something I really need to do first though is fix the animations.

I also have to admit I got sidetracked a little with a project trying to understand shader programming some better. I kind of would like some post-processing FX into Cube House Kings, but have yet to understand much of how AppGameKit deals with shaders, let alone some of the GLSL language itself. I have done some shader stuff in different engines in the past, but that was usually hacked together trial-and-error until it worked kind of stuff.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 22:43
My old thread here have alot of info...
About agk shaders....
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/201508
Tgc listed all the stuff neaded here to do agk shaders.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2018 09:21
The pixel graphic style looks is amazing in your app.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Chris Tate!

Thanks Cliff for the link. I appreciate any help I can get when it comes to shaders. Probably will grab the Shader DLC at some point too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 06:02:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 06:02:37