Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Landscape shader

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2018 09:09 Edited at: 19th Apr 2018 09:33
@Santman
To avoid drawing them all together all the time eating FPS, are you using a system such as in below schematics for the drawing of the plants?

For waterplants of course I used the waterlevel(height) for plants like waterlelies on the surface and below that for underwaterplants. Same could be used to have a tree level so they won't 'grow' below or above a certain height range, just as in nature.

@Green7
Cool, link/thread?
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2018 10:17
Not 100% sure what that schematic is showing to be honest?

The way it's working for now is the plants are a single mesh object controlled in a memblock (at the moment loading is super fast, I need that to stream chunks later), and all the testing I Did before shows that on decent hardware one draw call seems preferable to other methods of culling. So each chunk is split in 4 (though I think I will change this to 16) and all the grass is essentially four object placed.....this means AKGs culling drops out the ones off screen anyway. In top of that I have the shader set to stop drawing past a certain point in the distance - this is shown right at the end of the video. Density and draw distance are both controllable within the editor so that is working ok.

I'm undecided on trees.....I used a seeded generation system before but I was planning a far more simple "draw a dot here and it will be a tree" system to allow for more designed placement. Grass just needs to be where you say grass should be.....but trees I think I'd like to leave to user placement. Not sure.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2018 15:00
Sounds like you're on the right track. Curieus to see the next post.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 16:37
So am I. Lol.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2018 01:40
Ok, so it's still early days but here is functional path drawing directly onto the terain with almost a zero performance hit. Still a bug causing a crash somewhere in here which means that youcan draw an unlimited path one time, but then it crashes if you try to draw another.

Still....all progress is progress.....

Also fixed the mountain shaders, added seam fixing between chunks to make them join perfectly, and a fair bit of interface work.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2018 10:27
Ah, progress is a beautiful that comes at a price.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 01:37 Edited at: 15th May 2018 23:02
So another quick update. Once again work travel and my actual job have kept ,e busy, but some nice interface progress here so far.

So, here we see:
*improvements to sculpting - alter the landscape with a variable brush size, and definable precision
*fully implimented path drawing in realtime directly onto the terrain - left to draw, right to fade/remove
*grass zones can now be erased just like the paths
*first draft of an onscreen interface that allows realtime altering of the shader layering (this atlas texture is only half redone so far)

With all features fully savable/loadable I am using the tools to date to build a simple landscape that I will build upon. Next up will be:
better lighting/normals
grass will map around paths and not appear on landscape where the incline is too severe
multiple grass/flower types
*shaders will allow control of normal levels (so some textures will only draw on flats/inclines etc)
shader control per texture of tiling
custom placement of trees/flora
a smoothing tool

Once that is done I will upload a video showing how quickly you can actually build a fairly decent landscape so far.

Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 21:53
Pretty impressive. Looks like it's really easy to use.

Question: What does the square with the yellow bulbs represent? The current editable area/quads?

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 23:06
Rik, it does indeed. that's the size of the editing area, with the center green one being the selected vertice. The raycasting is patchy though, it's not working perfectly, probably due to the scale. I've now just mastered UV scaling within the shader so each layer of hte atlas can now have a unique scale. Also makes it highly portable to mobile devices - you can onlu use 4 or 5 layers and make them much lower scaled and the world would run fine on a decent tablet or phone.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2018 00:19
So what do we think....is the lighting looking a little better now?

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 1st May 2018 03:48
Very impressive @Santman
fubar
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2018 13:32
Yep, looking good.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2018 23:50
So here's a little update - now we have more tools (smooting brush and entire chunk smoothing) and grass now uses ground normals for shading and also moves again. This video also dumps a few random trees (750 to be exact) into the landscape to see how well the frame rate copes. Here at 4K we get about 70-80fps, where as at normal 1080p HD I still get 250-300 fps. Soon we will be able to place and control tree's one at a time, and better grass.

Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2018 00:19
Like a walk in the park.. hehehe
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2018 03:29
Lol - still a fairly ugly park Rik, but it''s getting there.

This update took far longer than it should have, but converting the mouse screen coords to 3D coords for placement wasn't that easy. Anywhere, here we see me going into "flora" mode and right clicking directly onto the landscape to place a tree. Next to add a browser and we'll be able to place any object/tree/bush where we want. Some editing tools to size and rotate, then add to saving. Should all be this week.

And now I can get exactly where the player is clicking on the landscape from the screen I aim to allow drawing of paths/detailing textures directly onto the ground in realtime. Possibly. Lol.

So from my original list nowall I need to do is flowers (easy peasy), and altering the terrain around normals (should be easy, I now have the normal code working for grass so it won;t generate on steep hills).

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2018 19:21
Quote: "Lol - still a fairly ugly park Rik, but it''s getting there.
"

I don't know about that I was kinda waiting for something to jump out so I could shoot it

fubar
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2018 21:38
Hahaha....maybe in a future update.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2018 21:47
Making some really excellent progress - keep up good work
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2018 18:45 Edited at: 12th May 2018 18:47
@Santman
Quote: "Lol - still a fairly ugly park Rik, but it''s getting there."

hehehe, well getting there indeed, impressed by the ease of use.

@fubarpk
Quote: "I don't know about that I was kinda waiting for something to jump out so I could shoot it"

Reminded me of this..
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2018 21:04
Lol......I remember that video. Think it was outed as a fake though.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2018 00:26 Edited at: 13th May 2018 00:27
Uhuh. hard to tell these days. Some people think that if it's on the internet it's real, but anything goes.
Also came across another one from 2017, but is weird. Why wouldn't the bear attack the other cyclist.

And there's this msg in the Washington Post that seems genuine as they have a name to uphold.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2018 22:56
So I got a little sidetracked, but now we have basic object loading and placement added to the tree placement. Some examples of this included here for a simple scene.

Now to get exporting and loading working, and aloow complex scaling, deleting and positioning of existing objects.

Attachments

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 17th May 2018 21:01
Its got the look and feel of Conan Exiles - great stuff

Keep up good work
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2018 22:47 Edited at: 20th May 2018 22:48
I wish it looked as good as Conon exiles, but it's got a long while to go.

But, progess is progress - here we see new, much more dense looking grass, thanks to some nice additonal randomisation of planes. This still uses the 3 plane method, but now adds randomly angled planes across then low to teh ground to cover the sparse gaps. Looks especially better from above I think.

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2018 00:53
Wow @Santman your definitely one skilled developer
fubar
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2018 23:44
Looking much, much beter. Good job.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 21st May 2018 23:52
Its not difficult to put a few transparent planes objects into one huge memblock and use as one object in the landscape

Have a go folks- you may surprise yourselves in your memblock programming -)
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 21st May 2018 23:59 Edited at: 22nd May 2018 00:07
Rick - are you waiting for code here to put on your external website which TomToad is involved with - remember my texture code - did you ask me to publish my coding to another site?

I dont remamber you asking me

EDIT
gone offline- hmmm
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2018 00:08
Ouch puzzler.

Hold on let me go check your Minecraft progress.......
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 22nd May 2018 00:11
used my coding on another site - the code i introduce belongs to TGC - so i will let them bring it up, i can share - but doesnt hurt for someone to say "is it ok i publish this code to another site"...

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 22nd May 2018 00:15 Edited at: 22nd May 2018 00:16
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 22nd May 2018 00:21
Im sure Rick is a good man and mean no harm - but taking our code from TGC to another site i feel very upsetting
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 22nd May 2018 00:24
We do all the hard graft in working things out and so likes of rick just publishing outside our community, Dont know whether to cry or vomit
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol Puzzler. I wonder were you got your code from. I am sure if i search long enough, i find similar code in the net. Just ported to agk. Hopefully you asked for permission.

The code belongs to tgc? Where does it say that? Usually when you post code, it becomes public domain.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2018 06:49 Edited at: 22nd May 2018 06:51
Puzzler i was talking about you:

Quote: "Its not difficult to put a few transparent planes objects into one huge memblock and use as one object in the landscape"

What's that all about? I've not actually seen you do anything other than steal thunder. In your Minecraft thread you were literally getting nowhere until myself and a few others showed you how, and you had zero clue about memblocks. And actually, you've still done nothing else with it except put perlin noise in (which you clearly stated came from the net). So maybe if your code was stolen your permission should have been asked, but I have zero doubt at some point you "borrowed" it first.

I tried to be patient with you on that other thread, because I'm no genius and coding is a hobby for me - I spend about 6 hours a week coding - but enough is enough. Your rude, needy and extremely arrogant in how you come off. I remember well your rant after no-one commented on your post for a couple of hours where you declared you were just shit and no one liked you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, NOONE here is a pro coder or by default we wouldn't be using AppGameKit in the first place as it's a basic language.

So if my code is so very easy, fire on.......let's see what you can do. Oh and for the record, this is all powered by my own custom shader, developed through trial and error, that shades and culls past a certain distance to keep the speed up......feel free to better it if you can.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 22nd May 2018 07:19
Im on with Minecraft but rather than give small snippets anymore. im fully on it0 - just because you can work with memblocks that easily to you and difficult to some, makes you feel good doesnt it.

All it needs is a little bit of practice in working with them.

I shall produce minecraft with memblocks and yes shaders too when im good and ready - this kind of programming is no easy / quick task for any game developer.

I havent noticed any code produced for your productions here by the way - least i offer full code out to the forums of that minecraft one
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 22nd May 2018 07:27
keep up the good work
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2018 19:21 Edited at: 22nd May 2018 19:31
@puzzler2018

Huh?? Kinda baffled puzzled here.

Never ever meant to lure people from here or even 'steal' your code.
I rather promote AppGameKit whenever I can(for really love the language) and showcase what's possible with it, and not just exclusively here for people here already know.
The more people using AppGameKit the better. Didn't know you felt could only be shared/shown here and/or not used at will. ( I'll remember to read the copyright voucher when you publish code).

But seriously: when I publish something on a forum, which is basically a public room, I meant to set it free for exchange with the public, which I'm used to as peeps over at Blitz always did/do. Something I will continue to do with my own work as I believe in sharing(still working on things, but slow to progress due to burn-out).
Silly me sort of assumed the same applied here, which apparently was a bit naïve and perhaps ignorant of me too as not everybody has the same ideas of course, which I respect.

I understand you are referring to your texturing function (which I think is great stuff) that I'd put at SyntaxBomb(to which lot of ex blitzers fled after BlitzBasic.com went down) in a discussion as part of a few examples to showcase what's possible with AppGameKit, but I'll gladly remove it(already did) if you object, for I indeed really do not mean to you upset you( or anybody else for that matter).

Greetz,

Rick.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 23rd May 2018 06:55 Edited at: 23rd May 2018 06:56
Its no problem, it was just a shock to see away from these forums thats all. - and with yourself posting more on herem, thought bring it up, so that your aware my upsetness.

Every thing is all good now you have explained and by all means can use the function.

I dont want to hijack this thread on this topic anymore, so will leave it there and bring back the landscape shader app back to life for Santman.

Apologies to both
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2018 23:16
Thanks, No hard feelings.

Peace.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2018 10:53
Don't worry about hijacking the thread, I think it's run it's course now anyway. I spent a good but of time just building in the tool last night and have a fairly substantial landscape with hills and valleys now, but I think it's as far as it needs to go.....it's not just a shader now so this thread can quietly drop off the radar now.
Icerion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2018 18:18 Edited at: 13th Aug 2018 18:22
@Santman : Could you release a current demo of terrain with height & splatmap & texture atlas? This one is slow on 150 tile size. I would truely appreciate it!

Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:23:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:23:23