Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Benchmarking using FPS?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 18:46 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 18:46
I'm not new to AppGameKit or DarkBasic in terms of years, but certainly in terms of experience and thought this would be a better location for this question.

Is benchmarking using FPS as a guide a good method? Here's what I have done.

I have a Tier 1 game I've written that I've uncapped the FPS. The framerate is plenty high enough - 280 FPS as it starts on Level 1. As the game goes on the framerate gets lower and lower. I don't need 280 FPS, but at a 60 FPS cap - it would take me a lot longer to see the frame rate become impacted.

I'm unclear on what is impacting the FPS. I'm cleaning up my sprites, particles and arrays. My total sprite count on the 1st Level is higher than the ones after it due to a weather effect I added. I don't see a change in the amount of sprite draws that seems significant and I load all my images for sprites at the start of the game. The lower framerate persists even if the game ends and it goes back to the start screen which is very light logically as far as the main loop is concerned, the framerate continues to stay at the lower framerate. My guess is there is something else I'm introducing that I'm missing, but I wanted to be sure I'm approaching it correctly before I chase ghosts (which would be cool if it were pacman clone, but its not).

Thanks!
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 22:13
AH! All I needed to do was ask the question and after trying to figure out why the frame rate kept decreasing for several days ... I finally got it. Each level has a background image and I would load a new image, create a sprite of it and position it for each level and wave within it. What I wasn't doing was deleting the old sprite and image that was used in the previous wave/level. Frame rate no longer drops as the game goes on.

So, I think I answered the question. At least in this case - yes using uncapped FPS to help benchmark is useful.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:38:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:38:59