Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / So...Memory Leaks. Help me find a solution!

Author
Message
Zep
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 31st Aug 2002
Location: From PA, USA. Currently reside in Hanoi, Vietnam
Posted: 24th Feb 2018 23:50
Quote: "This dll is from the open source version which is technically newer than u77, "


I'm going to run with it in my current project (just that one DLL for now) and see if any wonkiness occurs down the road.
Zep
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 31st Aug 2002
Location: From PA, USA. Currently reside in Hanoi, Vietnam
Posted: 25th Feb 2018 14:14
Quote: "but it is a separate branch of dbpro created for game guru"


What is Game Guru, BTW? I Don't see a forum board for it.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
15
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 3rd Jan 2005
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 25th Feb 2018 15:19
Just click the banner heading at the top of this page and follow your nose.

Alternatively, use this:

https://www.thegamecreators.com/

Game Guru is the successor to FPSC and has its own forums. It was originally developed using a tailor-made version of DBPro but was changed at some point because Lee found DBPro too restrictive.
Derek Darkly
8
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Sep 2011
Location: Whats Our Vector, Victor?
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 00:03 Edited at: 28th Feb 2018 00:04
My apologies for interjecting in this thread. I suffer from SCS (small codebase syndrome)
I had nothing offer logically, so my post was purely emotional. Funny, after I realized that Zep has been around since the beginning of TGC, I then figured most of you guys already know him, so who am I to chime in? I've only been here 2 or 3 years I think.

Anyway. I made a fake domino program and put it in the code snippets. Wait. Oh that's my next thread. No, my last one. Dang.

Anyway.. good luck on that thing about the thing you gutsy gurus are doing..
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Zep
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 31st Aug 2002
Location: From PA, USA. Currently reside in Hanoi, Vietnam
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 00:40
Water under the bridge. No worries.

I did join 15 years ago, participated for maybe 2 years, then got caught up with life for 13 years

So I was probably gone before any of the other guys joined.
James H
13
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 21st Apr 2007
Location: St Helens
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 00:45
Quote: " I then figured most of you guys already know him"

I barely know myself let alone anyone else! I don't think years of service are much to go by other than the sign up date of the account...I had DBC for years before I signed up here and bought DBP...even had trial version of DBP for about 2 years before I forked out for it - I would reinstall OS every 30 days just so I could use it whilst I was broke! Doesn't reflect how far along I have(n't) come, how much I have(n't) helped out, even thread history isn't much to go by as we can help others and have no record of number of posts made, no vote up or down for best solutions etc. I had no knowledge of Zep until end of January, I visit here most days and have done for years, doesn't mean Zep hasn't been around posting elsewhere, just means I have a bad memory and our paths haven't crossed to my knowledge. The name did ring a bell when I saw it so chances are he/she may have been quite active over time, it is just that I guess for me he/she did not stand out, no reflection on him/her, how I judge who is noteworthy is what could be a reflection on my own character, for example as my learning progresses I might deem a certain topic more noteworthy than others, doesn't mean I was right and I might base future decisions around this, such as who are the best in this field, even attempt to get to know them a little. However at a later stage I might find the topic not as noteworthy as I had previously thought and therefore the person(s) I considered best in this field may turn out to be far less important overall, given how much I steer away from socialising, any attempts to get to know them would have proven a wasted effort in terms of learning from them. I expect very few if anybody even knows my user name, because I have not done anything notable - I am as far away from being a Guru as is possible! I have helped out over the years, not much I thought, but a lot of the time when I use google to search forums and glance through the results, I get surprised to see posts I made, some of which I don't or barely remember.
Quote: "good luck on that thing about the thing you gutsy gurus are doing"

Pretty sure nobody is doing anything specific other than maybe keeping an eye on how that camera debug dll plays out when replacing whatever version folks are using.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Zep
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 31st Aug 2002
Location: From PA, USA. Currently reside in Hanoi, Vietnam
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 01:24
Quote: "Pretty sure nobody is doing anything specific other than maybe keeping an eye on how that camera debug dll plays out when replacing whatever version folks are using."


I'm still using it, haven't noticed anything wrong yet.
James H
13
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 21st Apr 2007
Location: St Helens
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 02:10
Quote: "I'm still using it, haven't noticed anything wrong yet."

Be sure to let everyone know if that at any time changes, if this does turn out to be useful then the thread was totally worth it regardless of the ups/downs experienced.

Quotes from Lee on U7.7rcX:
Quote: "Major Fix
---------
Microsoft's latest Windows 7 SP1 all-in-one update package introduces a new security 'feature' which completely disables all DBP applications from running. Not the best move in the world, but don't let this lunacy stop you creating great applications. RC3 includes the fix which solves this problem."

This one self explanatory, others highlighted in bold:
Quote: "General
-------
Rebuilt all DLLs after resolving DBO size problem (moved clipplane handle to meshradius handle)"

Quote: "
Internal Work
-------------
Replace CData class with std::map
Replaced dual containers with a single container and a class structure
Pretty much rewrote every command"

Those are what give me most concern.
Personally, unless I need to delete cameras in significant numbers I wouldn't even bother swapping the dll's out - otherwise anything else being worked on that show some bugs could be related to the change in file and it would be so easy to forget to swap back each significant test for debug, and I imagine very annoying to.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Derek Darkly
8
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Sep 2011
Location: Whats Our Vector, Victor?
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 23:57
Quote: "I barely know myself let alone anyone else! I don't think years of service are much to go by other than the sign up date of the account...I had DBC for years before I signed up here and bought DBP...even had trial version of DBP for about 2 years before I forked out for it - I would reinstall OS every 30 days just so I could use it whilst I was broke! Doesn't reflect how far along I have(n't) come, how much I have(n't) helped out, even thread history isn't much to go by as we can help others and have no record of number of posts made, no vote up or down for best solutions etc. I had no knowledge of Zep until end of January, I visit here most days and have done for years, doesn't mean Zep hasn't been around posting elsewhere, just means I have a bad memory and our paths haven't crossed to my knowledge. The name did ring a bell when I saw it so chances are he/she may have been quite active over time, it is just that I guess for me he/she did not stand out, no reflection on him/her, how I judge who is noteworthy is what could be a reflection on my own character, for example as my learning progresses I might deem a certain topic more noteworthy than others, doesn't mean I was right and I might base future decisions around this, such as who are the best in this field, even attempt to get to know them a little. However at a later stage I might find the topic not as noteworthy as I had previously thought and therefore the person(s) I considered best in this field may turn out to be far less important overall, given how much I steer away from socialising, any attempts to get to know them would have proven a wasted effort in terms of learning from them. I expect very few if anybody even knows my user name, because I have not done anything notable - I am as far away from being a Guru as is possible! I have helped out over the years, not much I thought, but a lot of the time when I use google to search forums and glance through the results, I get surprised to see posts I made, some of which I don't or barely remember."


James, you have done something notable.;You have given us a glimpse of the interior of the genius/madness complex that besets all minds who simply wish to achieve "more." Plus you used the word noteworthy more than once and I think that, in and of itself, is noteworthy. TEN STARS

Wait, so all of this concern is really over the various behaviors of various versions of Windows with DBPpro? I'll be damned. Bill Gates, philanthropist, eugenicist, has nearly ruined it for many of us. We just want to make games. Not figure out how to un-poop your so-called Windows upgrades, or vaccinate/sterilize the masses. Smug Yank, that one...<
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2020-05-28 23:39:55
Your offset time is: 2020-05-28 23:39:55