Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Sony Xperia XZ1 "review" and why i post this in the DarkBasic Professional Section

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again.

A friend of mine got a new phone, a sony xperia xz1 and it has a neat feature. i can create face and head scans, it has a mode to 3d scan your food and the most interesting part is the free form scan. it allows you to scan any object as long you are able to go around it and reach over it. you can check out youtube what other people have done, but my friend and i made a model of 3 statues sitting back to back. the interesting part that seemingly no one knows about, you can share the model as a wavefront object to email or whatsapp. it comes in a zip file complete with textures. it took us about 5 mins to create the model and another 5 mins to get it into blender. so 10 mins to model and texture a statue is a nice speed to create 3d models. it doesn't replace a good 3d artist, but if you are a beginner in 3d drawing or don't want to put too much effort into modeling this seems like a nice feature.

if you want a new phone you may want to take a look at this.

i'll add the model i created for download. it was our first scan with bad light but it think it still turned out nice.
please don't use the models directly for any major projects. i don't know if there are any copyright claims on the statues.

i am currently testing different software for easy cleanup of the models.
"It is only slightly easier than changing all sugar in a cake into stevia after it has already been baked" -Bisqwit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 12:09
Can you load this in DBPRO?
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
not because dbpro cannot load .obj files. but you can load it into almost any other 3d modeling application like milkshape, blender, wings or 3ds max. then you can export it to a .x file
"It is only slightly easier than changing all sugar in a cake into stevia after it has already been baked" -Bisqwit
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 12:44
To much work.
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "To much work."

i respect your opinion, but i don't share it.

anyway i made a simple map using the scan. it's a .x file and a dbpro app with source code so that you can walk around in it. nothing special but it was very easy to make.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 14:03
That is pretty cool from a scan of some statues!

Respectfully , I'm doing my own stuff. I don't have extra time to convert a non dbo or x model to DBO or X.
It is the DBPRO forum, after all.

But thanks.

Looks good.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 14:12
It takes an awfully long time to load on my machine, 14 seconds, for such a simple scene.

Could that X file be hosed somehow?
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 14:37
Turns out it because of the huge size of the "mesh" texture. 2048x2048

If I reduce the size to 500x500, it loads in about 5 seconds, but doesn't look as good.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 15:41
This is called 'photogrammetry' it has been gaining a bit of buzz in the last few years. There are softwares available that let you do it with any smartphone.

I think the idea is pretty cool, but my assumption without having tried it is that the objects produced are probably much higher poly than they need to be with poor optimization and would likely require almost as much cleanup as just modeling it to start with.

A 2048 size texture is pretty tame these days I'll use that (*3: diffuse, normal, specular) for a single character (not all, but important ones seen up close), and that's scaled down from 4096 bakes
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 20:04
Quote: "It takes an awfully long time to load on my machine, 14 seconds, for such a simple scene.

Could that X file be hosed somehow?
"

Sounds like you're using an old machine .

My 6 year old laptop loaded that demo in less than a second. The statues sum up how we are expected to behave on this forum, don't you think?
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think the idea is pretty cool, but my assumption without having tried it is that the objects produced are probably much higher poly than they need to be with poor optimization and would likely require almost as much cleanup as just modeling it to start with."

you are absolutely correct. the polycount is unnecessary high and i was not able to clean up the mesh without destroying the UVs. there is much more testing to do but i think the high polycount is still acceptable in todays era.
obviously you don't want to create big profit oriented games with it, but for simple one-man, low-/non-profit projects it will be good enough.

Quote: "The statues sum up how we are expected to behave on this forum, don't you think?"

hidden meanings not intended
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2018 00:09
Quote: "Sounds like you're using an old machine .
"

Yes, It's almost 16 years old now.
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
just a small update:

i was able to bring the poly count from 24000 tris down to 6000 using meshlab and the "simplification: quadratic edge collapse decimation (with textures)" filter.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:13:50
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:13:50