Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

The 20 Line Challenge / Introducing: CAVEBLASTER - Merry Christmas

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 05:03 Edited at: 21st Dec 2003 05:26
The story goes: one day I was looking at the Caverunner code and the idea just kinda hit me. That and Starfox inspired this game. I eventually discovered that my DBClassic project was under 500 commands, so I formatted it in ridiculously large lines that comprise the source code you will see in the source code tab.

Yahoo doesn't like me posting images, so just visit the tiny website at:

http://www.geocities.com/tao_butt_kick/

The media is below 150k. A readable, compilable version of the source code is found here. At least I hope is translated as a snippet correctly (some of the lines are pretty long). You can cound it if you wish, but you'll find that it is around 480 commands:

Merry Christmas. In a future version, there will be shield powerups (hopefully). I still have somewhere around 18 commands left to play with. But like I said, just go to the website. You will only find the sourcecode here, which means I've made .exes!

Oh, by the way, I made sure the FPS rate doesn't go over 35 for playability. If I left it unchecked the game would well go over 45+, and look like a bunch of hummingbirds on steroids.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 22:34
Awesome game! only thing i noticed was that teh bullets get clipped to quickly, you should let them fly a bit longer caus there is a couple of times i was sure i woulda hit an enimy but it got cliped to soon , oh well. Good luck on your entry!

Sparring - Loved by many, Pefected by few.
I'm going to live forever, or DIE IN THE ATTEMPT!!!"
>>>>> Check out my alienwhere progress in the W.I.P folder! <<<<
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey thanks. I gave the plasma bursts a range that help keep the player on his toes. Thanks again.

Well, it's been three days now. Has anyone else got ANY comments (good or bad).

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool game

"Talk doesn't cook rice." -Chinese proverb
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, anyone else? Anything anyone would like to specifically say that they liked/dislikes, etc? I know not to expect any answers around Christmas, but man, oh man... it's been almost a full week with only two legitimate replies, but a whopping 123 views .

On a positive side, it must mean that people are crunching to get their alienware competition stuff done . But if you could just pay even a few sentences, that'd be terrific - all I'd ask .

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 14:52
its a good game! only problem i found was that it froze when shields reached 0 but nothing too much, a greater view distance would be nice as well, as its quite hard to see the enemies until thier bullets are hitting you!

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Uhh, yeah, hehe... I see your point, but which version did you download? The ship in version 4 is way too big ( forgot to cancel a scaling value ) . Being too big can cause you to really get pelted by those orbs. Version five is just about right. Sorry, getting an exact size of a model in Wings is pretty tricky.

Also, Given the fact that it is a dark cave, well, at least I made it challenging given that it is not a level-based game, I hope...

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, 1 thing I don't really like is the camera movement.

When you are on the top half of the screen, the camera follows the ceiling. Because it's so bumpy, ur camera moves up and down rapidly!

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 14:44:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 14:44:44