Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / visual editor corrupts old projects with latest update

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2018 18:33
as title says, the new update for the visual editor corrupts existing projects if you try to save them... any one who is working on a project beware and back up first if you will try use the new editor.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you provide more information about this problem? What goes wrong?

Are you interested in helping test new versions? If so please email me - orvillian@googlemail.com
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2018 14:41 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2018 14:45
i'm not sure what went wrong, it just completely corrupted my data.agkd file when i hit save in the visual editor (when i opened it after it's missing a lot of information), it didn't give me any specific error, just came up with the error box "visual editor.exe has stopped working" and then closed the program.
i've not had the editor corrupt anything before and it was right after the new update so i figured it must be related.
i just remade the project from scratch in the new version and it worked fine so i didn't really test further til now - i tried another old project and it just saved fine though - either way, still a good idea to back up just in case
life's one big game
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you on Windows, Mac or Linux?

If the editor does crash when saving you should be able to revert to a backup file. You can find this in your media folder named data.agkd_backup. Copying this and renaming to data.agkd should allow you to load the previous version.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2018 16:37
windows 10 and i didn't notice the back up file but that helped find the issue, it let me load the original project and i saw one of the sprites was blank, it appears one of the images used was missing and this was causing the save process to break, deleting the sprite fixed the issue... not sure how i managed to misplace my image but at least we know it's not an update issue, sorry for the confusion
life's one big game
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the information. I have found the problem and fixed it for the next version.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:47:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:47:25