Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Minimum requirements for Steam

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

I'm uploading my game to Steam and they need to know the minimum requirements for my game. How can I find this out?

Many thanks
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2018 09:13
What system are you developing on? There are some ways to see how many resources your game is using depending on what system you are using, from there on you can gauge if you could run it on a slower system and then ask people to test it for you. I can provide a Windows Vista, Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 4GB ram and some crappy GPU (not a gaming GPU) system. I will find the precise specs if you want me to test for you. I can also get a Windows Vista x86 Pentium dual-core 1.6GHz system up and run if you want to go even lower.
13/0
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2018 18:27
You could simply take over the minimum requirements from the AppGameKit STEAM store page.

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
niansenx
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Cybermind. I've developed on windows 10 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s). The game is only 2D graphics, nothing very heavy at all. It great if you could test it for me, thank you.

The game is currently on itch here: https://niansenx.itch.io/cyadonia

I will be taking it down when Steam goes live, but could you download it and try it from there? Let me know how you get on.

Many, many thanks!
James
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2018 08:31
I test my steam games and all my games (2D) on an old Dell 380 desktop (~8 year old machine), 4GB RAM, Dual core Pentium, GT210 graphics card. If it wont run on that it wont run on anything
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2018 10:26
Is it possible for you to compile Cyadonia with the newest version of AppGameKit? I am having trouble running the current version of your app on my old laptop.
13/0
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I've wondered how this can be done too... Are there any tools that can accurately throttle PCs to test lower specs? Guessing the recent Meltdown and Spectre chip bugs will have rendered a few min specs obsolete too.
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Guessing the recent Meltdown and Spectre chip bugs will have rendered a few min specs obsolete too."

Not by as much as you'd think going by benchmark scores. Keep in mind most games require mostly a decent GPU and 8GB of RAM, along with a decent but not great CPU. One of my older PCs has a GTX960 and 8GB or RAM together with a really old Intel i7 CPU and guess what, the CPU isn't the bottleneck even with it being close to like 7 years old now.

Also, technically speaking just copying minimum specs for AppGameKit 2 wouldn't quite be the same as minimal specs for whatever game you've made. It depends on whether it uses the 3D engine or only 2D, shaders, has big worlds and so on. I do think this particular 2D game should run on basically anything though.
niansenx
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Cybermind, I've decided to go with the specs for AppGameKit itself for now. People can always get a refund if it doesn't work.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 19:31 Edited at: 12th Apr 2018 19:31
Alright I've tried your game, it's great and well made
13/0
niansenx
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool! Glad you like it. In the end what I did on Steam was copy the requirements for AppGameKit itself, then for the memory requirements I got the size of the install folder, and then ran the game and looked in task manager for the memory usage. The game is very small, so I don't think many people will have a problem.

Thanks for your help!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:26:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:26:36