Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / still got them lines..lol

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 12:28 Edited at: 12th Apr 2018 12:47
Sorry to bring this up again, but I still have these lines between the 3d objects, I thought it was one thing but not,adding the shadows just kinda disguises them, but they are still there,just hard to spot, you need to be at a certain camera angle and in a certain amount of light! I am left clueless, here is a screenshot.

I know someone doing the minecraft clone reported the same thing, was it puzzler2018 ...
Anyhow after uv-ing in every possible way I am really stuck on this!
I know it is a lot more noticeable the lighter the texture is, without shadows I am pretty sure the lines are white, I have used a green color to clear the screen to make sure it aint a gap. Not using shadows makes no odds, still get the lines... Even if I overlap the objects slightly, I still get the lines in addition to the texture clash of course
Hail to the king, baby!
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 12:41
It looks like an image UV repeat

Can you advise the size of the image to the nearest pixel?

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 12:48 Edited at: 12th Apr 2018 12:51
I could zip up the model plus a texture if you want..do you know blender..this is really puzzling me..by the way even if I use AGK's default 3D box, the lines are still there,so I kinda just dont know!! I have tried every single unwrap available in blender, making it slightly bigger.. slightly smaller, using the smart effigy.. got nowhere..
Hail to the king, baby!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Could also be that you had a 1 pixel line of transparent pixels at the edge of your image. (can happen if you scale it, and it is saved as .png)
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 12:52
Send a small snippet with the pic and model and then we can work with that to try and work it out for you
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 12:52 Edited at: 14th Apr 2018 23:52
I have like 100 images.. the lines are on the brick image, which is created perfectly in genetica!! just hard to see them

Would be hard to send anything small..hehe ..this is like the beginnings of an editor.. restarted ...
Here is the whole project

Use the arrow keys to move around..use the brackets [] to change image,use space bar to place an object... F2 saves and F1 loads... c to clear, mouse button+mouse to rotate/zoom...
All models and textures are royalty free/public domain... or made by myself... only a few models are loaded in as I recently created a function to just load them all from the folder but naming them numerically, got kinda sick of adding code every time I added an object... this needs an edit box to change the asset(model) to use but really I aint going further until I get these lines sorted...

Ignore the edit boxes really, but to explain the first box is for group, setting this to 1 is for the player, the other 3 below this are of course to rotate, the next column is physics, first the physics body and then the physics shape, be warned though there are no error checks as of yet, so stick to legit values, the first box in the second column(physics body) is set to 1(static) by default.. setting it to 2 makes it dynamic,below that the physics shape is set to 2 by default( box)... if you actually build a level, you can use physics on the objects changing them boxes, as long as you have a player object, well, or not, but the camera will point to 0,0,0 ..press T to test the level and e to exit that,maybe also rem out them horrible print()'s
Hail to the king, baby!
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 12:57
So whats the size say the brick and motor images and what are you scaling them as?

128x128 for example

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 16:53
I can't seem to replicate the problem, screenshot attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
damn, thanks for testing, will look into the gfx card then!
Hail to the king, baby!
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 20:51 Edited at: 13th Apr 2018 21:03
Well, swapped out for a brand new gtx1050 ti that was on standby for something, and still same lines.. Really weird....
Hail to the king, baby!
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 20:57
Whats interesting is your getting dots, if it was image size issues - then would be straight lines. Certainly will download your snippet and try it in morning.

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 21:46 Edited at: 14th Apr 2018 21:48
I am totally stubbed on this one, So I have tried switching cards and making sure all drivers to do with nvidia got uninstalled/reinstalled, but the lines are still there! Will develop the engine regardless I suppose, and when I can, rip out a standalone to run on a mobile device to see.
Hail to the king, baby!
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 23:58 Edited at: 15th Apr 2018 00:19
I have uploaded a newer version with lots of additions, namely to be able to select with rb and delete with del key, or click on a object with MMB to take on the objects attributes,using the control key with the other keys to move around the 3D cursor allows for smaller movement and works with A/Z to raise/lower the cursor,
A few more edit boxes working and the nameless one is for transparency!
This is all far from complete though as I need to fill in the gaps of those objects deleted, and error trap a few things, but have done this in the other engine,just needs copying across like the rest of it. I have allowed shadows but if you save then load a level the shadows arent there,this is to test any difference, here is an aweful view of what I get zoomed out without the shadows...

I have no idea what the hell is going on! I know the more I zoom out the worse it looks...

Anyhow, that flashing text is now bugging me,will have to create a sprite for a backdrop behind the edit boxes!
Oh and control+h hides the boxes and texts whilst control+s unhides them.
To create the floor I simply rotate the wall by 90 in the Z editbox!
Hail to the king, baby!
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2018 09:22 Edited at: 15th Apr 2018 09:24
If it get worse when you zoom out , its a depth buffer problem. Check your SetCameraRange( cameraID, fNear, fFar ) command , mainly you need to set the "fNear" as high as possible. and your fFar as low as possible. But raising fNear gives the best result.
Subscribe and checkout great AppGameKit video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2018 11:04 Edited at: 15th Apr 2018 11:33
would make it kinda hard to edit then, but i will mess around,it is so high coz the models need to be quite big for the physics(i think) I remember getting the soldier model from the physics character controller example into blender,it seemed massive!! Also why arent others getting the problem!!
ok I knocked it down to:
SetCameraRange( 1, 10, 8000 )

still see the lines,but yeh it doesnt get a chance to be as bad coz it vanishes before getting a chance!!
Hail to the king, baby!
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK try to detect if a 24 bit depth buffer is possible , and if not it will use a 16 bit depth buffer , thats why other people are not seeing it. So somehow your having a lower resolution depth buffer.

I had the same problem on Mac, and Paul changed the depth buffer to always use 24 bit on Mac ( even if it reported 24 bit was not available ) , and that fixed it.

shadey: What is your exact gear ? , just so Paul can check why it is using a 16 bit depth buffer on your gear

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2018 11:47 Edited at: 15th Apr 2018 16:27
well, the graphics card is a Nvidia gtx 1050 ti, the one in atm is by ASUS with 4GB, I have a few of em laying around... what else do you need to know?
Processor is AMD FX 4300 quad core @ 3.8ghz and 8 gig of ram
running on windoze 10 64bit

not so long ago testing on an old samsung and iphone 5S I had This problem

could these be linked to the same buffer thing then???
Or can my code be actually that bad!
Just slightly off topic, I once knew of a Paul Johnston at middle school, everytime I see the name it makes me wonder,but probably just a coincidence, I remember him being marked as some maths genius at school...

tried scaling the object I use as a wall down 0.2 in blender, set the camera range to: SetCameraRange( 1, 50, 1000 )

still see the lines,just damn harder to see, and of course totally unusable for me as far as wanting to edit with a good view!
Hail to the king, baby!
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I see you switched graphics card , did you disable the on board graphics card and selected your new graphics card as the primary in your bios ?
Or are you using your low spec on board graphics card, that would explain the 16 bit depth buffer ?

The iphone 5S problem looks more like a shader issue , did you use a custom shaders in that video ?
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2018 18:22 Edited at: 15th Apr 2018 18:36
hmm,think I did use one of the shaders I purchased!! I think the glass one which was about the only one I could seem to get working , pretty sure using nvidia! not sure if i need to mess with the bios, I can run other stuff like gameguru which is mega fast with full bloom and all!

Never usually mess with the bios
here is a gameguru shot:
Hail to the king, baby!
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
OK try to press F11 in GameGuru it will display your active graphics card, is it the correct one ?
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep!
Hail to the king, baby!
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
ok so we must assume your using a 24 bit depth buffer, then there is nothing to do about the flicker when you zoom out. only pray that Paul makes a 32 bit depth buffer

About the lines you see up close , that might be a problem with your objects , did you check that they are the exact numbers that you expect them to be , try to edit your object as text and see the vertex positions , they should match 100% do they ? , floating point can be inaccurate and give results like this, the same goes when you position your objects make sure that there is no floating point problems.

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2018 19:12 Edited at: 15th Apr 2018 19:39
I think I tried a non floating version with same results, and used AGKs own built in 3D box command instead of any externally created models, all for nothing!! Still got the damn lines.

Just tried changing to all integers..not one float about apart from friction/damping/restitution which need to be! Just in case i didn't! Also used agk's box command, still got lines!
Thank god I backed the code up first though
Hail to the king, baby!
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you get the same artifacts when you do not use any shadows? Did you set a certain value for the shadow offset, ie. use a value for SetShadowBias() ?? I've noticed some shadow related artifacts or lines glitches can happen when you're using specific values for that which don't match well with other camera settings like distance for shadows to render, but also SetCameraRange values and also choice of resolution. (For what it's worth, I had visual glitches on both Samsung Note 8 and a Surface Book with GTX960 GPU and it depended on what values I choose for the aforementioned.)

Quote: "Just tried changing to all integers..not one float "

To be honest, one would expect using floats to matter more here for smooth results than integers, because floats allow for more accurate values. But I can see why one would experiment anyway.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh before I forget, does changing shadow mode now change anything?? I think I remember you said mode 1 and 2 or something resulted in the same shadow type?
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2018 15:29 Edited at: 16th Apr 2018 15:38
shadows are fine,all modes work. I get the same glitches with or without shadows. The last screenshot is no shadows included, else the walls and the player object would be casting!! Yeh this a pain having to keep chopping up my code!
But at least I back it up before making so many changes like floats to integers! However I had to satisfy the theory that that was the cause, or not, in this case..

Anyone can fiddle about with the code I have provided, at the very least it might be a good start for some n00bz!

I will make it more usable, like filling in the deleted objects ... and keep updating...
Hail to the king, baby!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:46:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:46:42