Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2018.04.12

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 16:28 Edited at: 12th Apr 2018 18:59
I've uploaded a new version to Steam and the TGC downloads area with the following changes

This version has a significant update to the Android tools we have been using, which means we lose support for Android 2.3, so the minimum version is now 4.0.3, but gain 64-bit support on those devices that can run it.

The biggest new feature is the AR commands, which currently are only supported on a few Android devices, but we're told anything that can run Android 7.0 will hopefully get support in future. iOS has wider support down to iPhone 6S with iOS 11. There is an AR demo project in the Extras folder of the sample projects.

Let me know if you have any problems.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 16:49
Wow, some amazing additions there Paul! Excellent work
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
XANAX 2B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 16:54
Hello, AppGameKit Editor (Steam version) is now in Italian for me, but i'm French. Any idea on how to change this ?
Don't let the world decrease your conatus
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 17:09
I think the language is taken from your system locale, I'm not entirely sure how Geany does it but if anyone can see anything that I've done wrong here then let me know and I'll get it fixed.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 18:42 Edited at: 12th Apr 2018 18:54
Oh cool! Those new AR commands are definitely up my alley. A quick test revealed my Note 8 works too as far as ARSetup goes and activating the AR camera rendering. It installs ARCore and seems to work from there on, although I haven't made anything with it yet.

edit: I guess, it doesn't quite work, because a 3D cube disappears / shows only one face. Might got to do with not having assigned an anchor and such, but I can already tell a small example of how to use AR would be nice hahah.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 18:58
Thanks for the update Can you tell me if Nat punch through is on the to-do list? I think it is called Nat punch through, the thing that is needed for players to host an online session without setting up port forwarding in their router?
13/0
Hubert BAYRE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 19:03
A lot of words are Italian mixed with some french into my Ide !
(i'm french from FRANCE).

Thanks for the update.
Hubert BAYRE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 19:04
A lot of words are Italian mixed with some french into my Ide !
(i'm french from FRANCE).

Thanks for the update.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi.

Since this new update it sounds like on Android I can no longer set the music volume with SetMusicVolumeOGG(id, volume).
I'm trying it now and it works on my Windows 10, Amazon and Chrome OS device, also in the browser with HTML5, but it doesn't seem to work on my Android 7 and Android 4 device. If I set the volume to 0 it mute the music, but I notice no difference when I set the volume to either 1 or 100. The music is loud regardless what value I set in the range 1-100. Could anyone confirm this please?

Thank you.
Fud
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still having an issue with admob banner ads not showing. Is this something that's on the radar for a fix?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 19:58
It seems the translation files are being picked up correctly but they contain incorrect translations. If you go into the "Tier 1\Editor\share\locale" folder and delete the fr folder then it should default back to english.

Quote: "Since this new update it sounds like on Android I can no longer set the music volume with SetMusicVolumeOGG(id, volume)"

Just tested on a Nokia 3 running Android 7 and it works here.

Quote: "I'm still having an issue with admob banner ads not showing. Is this something that's on the radar for a fix?"

I haven't looked at this issue yet, I assume this is the issue reported as ads not working on an Amazon device? If not then please create a forum thread detailing the problem and I'll get around to it.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 19:59
Thank you Paul for the latest update.

The Raspberry Pi version is still at version 2017.09.25, is there an update planned for the Pi ?
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 20:09
Cool stuff.
Imaginations' greatest gift is the knowledge you supply it.
Kot
Years of Service
User Offline
There's a lot of "added commands" in the list - where can I find them and their descriptions?
XANAX 2B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 20:22 Edited at: 12th Apr 2018 20:39
@paul : If you open "agk.po" French file, you'll see that it is the Italian translation. That's the bug.
French agk.po
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 21:20 Edited at: 12th Apr 2018 21:22
Quote: "Just tested on a Nokia 3 running Android 7 and it works here."

Thanks. Sorry I was wrong about the Android version. I'm experiencing the problem on Android 6 and Android 4, Android 7 works here too.
Anyone else having similar problem like me?
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 21:21
mmm crashing on 65535 vertices - cant wait to test
Jerry McGuire
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! Huge update. Thanks a lot!
iMac Book Pro, MacOS 10.12.4, Xcode 9.0.1;
iPhone 6, iOS 9.35; iPhone 5s, iOS 9.35; iPad (3rd gen), iOS 9.35;

Dell Precision T7400, Windows 7 Professional 64bit, Visual Studio Community 2017;
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 23:51
I've uploaded the Raspberry Pi version
pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 07:27 Edited at: 13th Apr 2018 07:27
Thanks for the update and for the effort! it's amazing. Thanks a lot.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 08:42
Uh, a Raspberry update, gonna update that today Sorry to ask again, but is Nat punch through something that might happen at some point?
13/0
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
I have just created an example and attached it also added a link. It doesn't work for me on Android 4 and 6.
Could some of you guys test it please and confirm that if it only my devices?
Thanks.

https://ufile.io/vxkt9

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TomToad
Years of Service
User Offline
My Android device is incompatible with ARCore . Was looking forward to messing with the augmented reality, Oh well, at least I can still benefit from all the other updates
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 13:51
@Zigi your small music test worked fine on my Pixel 2. Not a nice sound!
Development Director
TGC Team
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Zigi your small music test worked fine on my Pixel 2."

Thank you Rick. However, I believe the Pixel 2 runs Android 8.
My problem is that it doesn't seem to work on my Android 6 and Android 4 device.

I can confirm that it does work on Android 7, FireOS, Chrome OS, Windows 10 and also in the browser with HTML5 and now you have confirmed that it also works in Android 8 but it does not seem to work in Android 6 and 4.
Android 4 is not that a big problem if this is the price of the new features but the fact it does not work on my Android 6 device a bit concerns me. Maybe it is only my device, it is an Alcatel Shine Lite by the way, but would be nice if someone could confirm that if it works on their Android 6 or not.

Thank you.
Fud
Years of Service
User Offline
Zigi,
The volume doesn't seem to work on my galaxy s5 (android 6.0.1).
It will mute at 0 but there's no difference between 100 and 1.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 16:08
Quote: "is Nat punch through something that might happen at some point?"

Currently no plans for this, but possibly something for the future.

Quote: " I can no longer set the music volume with SetMusicVolumeOGG(id, volume)"

Thanks, fixed for the next version. The problem was with 32-bit devices, the version of Android doesn't seem to affect it.
XANAX 2B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 17:34
Hello Paul, is there a way to ignore Locales on the Geny Editor ? I have still a lot of menus in Italian.
The agk.po French file has been overwrited by the Italian one, even on GitHub.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 22:37 Edited at: 13th Apr 2018 22:40
@Zigi It works on my ASUS - Android 7.0
@XANAX 2B: Just delete the folder for the Italian language under the folder AGK2 > Tier 1 > Editor > share > locale
I did this for my own installation for the Greek language and the geany editor has only English menus
XANAX 2B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 23:56
@george++ : Thanks a lot ! I've deleted the French buggy Locale folder and i'm in English now.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 02:53
Thanks Paul great work with the updates
fubar
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 06:43
Waiting for iOS AppGameKit Player's update to test AR commands (still not on a FR AppStore)
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 08:29
@MikeMax - the player is still in review with Apple. We have supplied the details they requested and await them to approve.
Development Director
TGC Team
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 08:37 Edited at: 14th Apr 2018 08:38
Quote: "Currently no plans for this, but possibly something for the future."

Okay, thanks for letting me know My current game lets people host a session from within the game, it then posts the session on my lobby server so that other players can join. It's an action game, so hosts and clients should not be too far away from each other. I am gonna do a test in C++ where I use some other package/library/don't know what other commands are called, to do the Nat punch through and then hand over the ports to AppGameKit, if possible. I am very excited to see if this works Thanks for the great software! I am very impressed by you peoples skills, I wish I had that level of expertise
13/0
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 09:17
great stuff will download when I have some free time
-EdzUp
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 10:28
@Paul

I am having an issue with the AppGameKit Pi version 2018.04.12, the scan code for KEY_SPACE (space bar) is returning code 65 and not 32.
KEY_A is returning 65 correctly.
GetRawLastKey() and GetRawKeyPressed() are both showing this error.

Also the GEANY editor has a problem with the menu driven Cut, Copy, Paste functions not working from the top menu bar and also mouse right click, however the Ctrl X,C and V keyboard versions are working.

Could someone care to check other AppGameKit versions please.
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 14:06
Thanks for the update!
Regards Sph!nx
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 16:51 Edited at: 14th Apr 2018 19:56
The AR stuff is wonderful.
Did some quick experimenting with adding shadows to it. (see below, don't look at the mess, in middle of a move )

Is there a way to make the plane fully transparent, except for the shadows?
This would really add to the realism.
blurymind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 19:12 Edited at: 14th Apr 2018 19:19
The new update hasnt fixed any of the bugs with webm video playback on windows.
Some webm videos that play just fine in a web browser will crash an AppGameKit application. See attached
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221818
-video seeking on android is really bad (scrubbing is impossible)
Here is some code to do paused video scrubbing - it works on windows (if the video can even be played by agk), but does not work on android

-most webm files crash the application on windows

I wanted to make a 360 video player app with AppGameKit for google Daydream .. unfortunately with such bad support for webm AGKis not going to be the engine to do it with

Right now the best engines to do this are
Unity:
https://unity3d.com/solutions/360video
three.js
https://www.learnthreejs.com/three-js-vr-360-video-tutorial-videotexture/

and online demo
https://threejs.org/examples/webgl_video_panorama_equirectangular.html

AGK cant even play most webm files

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kozma_11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2018 20:44
Anyone else having an issue with submitting to Apple after upgrading to AppGameKit V2018.04.12? I'm including a 1024x1024 png icon but it doesn't seem to be getting added to the IPA in AGK. So when I upload the app using Application Loader I'm getting an a warning that no icon was found. When I then go to iTunes Connect, the app has defaulted to an AppGameKit icon?

I'm using a macbook, Tier 1.

I've also posted this in iOS section with some screenshots but thought it would be useful to add here incase it's a bug.

Thanks,
John
El Presidente
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2018 08:01
Hi all,

The iOS AppGameKit Player has now been approved by Apple and is available to download/update.

@blurymind I'll talk to Paul about this format. It could be one we can support in future.
@kozma_11 I'll ask Paul to respond to you about this.

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
coder51223
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi!

The new version of AppGameKit compiles apk

I install the apk but the program doesn't start

When I click it, the program doesn't start.

The previous version didn't have that problem.

Now, It compiles and the apk is installed well, but the installed program doesn't start. It allways report an error.

What's happening?
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
@coder51223: What's the error? And does it run using the Android Player? Maybe there is some kind of bug somewhere or something changed that affects Android specific commands. I had that happen with checking for device to decide whether to run Windows orientated parts of code or use the Android focused stuff instead for my game.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2018 21:26
Hi coder51223, what's the error? Send more details about what your doing, your device and Android version you are trying it on. Then we can better help.
Development Director
TGC Team
Steveotronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 00:38
Any update on the Shadow Transparency issue? As stated above it would improve the realism significantly.

I have tried multiple blend modes and the alpha mask commands, but can't get anything to work. but obviously I could be using them incorrectly.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 07:07 Edited at: 18th Apr 2018 07:11
I don't see any mention of the edit box bug where you can't move the cursor to the end of the edit box once the text is longer than the edit box on an Android. Type something long, tap at the beginning of the edit box to move the cursor towards the beginning then try and move the cursor to the end of the string. You can't. You have to delete characters at the beginning to make the string shorter than the edit box.

I haven't tried this new version, only saw the post today, but it was a problem in 2017.12.12.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221108?page=1#msg2618002
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 17:11
Quote: "the scan code for KEY_SPACE (space bar) is returning code 65 and not 32"

Thanks, fixed for the next version

Quote: "Is there a way to make the plane fully transparent, except for the shadows? "

Not easily, it would require a custom shadow routine that discard pixels based on the shadow value, which currently isn't available to shaders.

Quote: "The new update hasnt fixed any of the bugs with webm video playback on windows."

Video playback on Windows is handled by DirectShow (Windows 7 and below) or Windows Media Foundation (Windows 8 and above), if they don't support webm then there isn't much we can do, maybe there is a codec for them. The best solution would be to include decoders directly inside AppGameKit, like VLC does, but that comes with licensing and patent issues, so we have to use the platform available decoders.

Quote: "I'm including a 1024x1024 png icon but it doesn't seem to be getting added to the IPA in AGK"

I've had a look over the process and as far as I can tell everything is working properly, the 1024x1024 icon gets included in the Assets.car file, which is the new method required by Apple. It's possible the PNG file is of a format that the IDE can't open, try exporting it from a graphics program in RGBA 32bit format.

Quote: "Any update on the Shadow Transparency issue? As stated above it would improve the realism significantly."

Technically that would be less realistic, as the shadows block light from the sun light source meaning that shadowed areas are lit by ambient light only. So allowing some light through anyway would go against the lighting model, but maybe we can open up the shadow shader parameters so it is possible to have more control over it.

Quote: "the edit box bug where you can't move the cursor to the end of the edit box once the text is longer than the edit box"

Thanks, fixed for the next version
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 23:43 Edited at: 18th Apr 2018 23:47
Thanks for answering Paul.

Quote: "
"Is there a way to make the plane fully transparent, except for the shadows? "

Not easily, it would require a custom shadow routine that discard pixels based on the shadow value, which currently isn't available to shaders.
"

---
Quote: "
"Any update on the Shadow Transparency issue? As stated above it would improve the realism significantly."

Technically that would be less realistic, as the shadows block light from the sun light source meaning that shadowed areas are lit by ambient light only. So allowing some light through anyway would go against the lighting model, but maybe we can open up the shadow shader parameters so it is possible to have more control over it.
"

That's a bit of a pity, for as you can see from the picture I've posted, the shadow of the knight on the floor really is making it look good, except for the fact that the plane is too visible. That kinda spoils the magic of added realism.

I can imagine already putting a high poly realistic model of a ghost or so in there. would really be hard for people to tell if it's real or not.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
> the shadow of the knight on the floor really is making it look good, except for the fact that the plane is too visible. That kinda spoils the magic of added realism.

Yes, I'm thinking along the lines of the Matte/Shadow material in 3DS Max. With that material you can apply it to a ground plane and set it to reflect and receive shadows, but it does not render itself in the viewport so allows realistic and easy superimposing of 3D models.

I haven't done much work with the 3D commands in AppGameKit and none with AR, but if we could enable objects to receive shadows (SetObjectReceiveShadow) but also allow it to be marked as invisible at same time would be useful for such effects. I feel like this could be worked out with shaders but again haven't done any experimenting with it yet.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2018 03:20 Edited at: 20th Apr 2018 08:06
@Paul, I am unable to get any readout from the new GetStorageTotal() or GetStorageRemaining() commands on my iPhone or iPad. I have tried:

GetStorageRemaining(GetFolder())
GetStorageRemaining(GetDocumentsPath())
GetStorageRemaining("media")

And same for other command and it only returns -1. Is this a bug or am I using the commands incorrectly? Haven't tried on Android.

EDIT: It seems passing an empty string in returns the correct value. GetStorageRemaining("") and GetStorageTotal("")

But there is a typo in the GetStorageRemaining() documentation where it references BYTES intead of MB ("whereas using a path that points to the AppGameKit write folder will return the number of bytes the app can store in its internal storage.") At least I assume what is being returned are MB as mentioned earlier in the help.

---

Also - Do you know if there are issues with Chartboost Rewarded videos? Seemed to work fine in testing in last AppGameKit Player version but this one only shows "Loading..." dialog forever even after Chartboost ad has loaded (and when in test mode on Chartboost). Tested in my own app and details, and in the demo code. (EDIT - 24 hour later and it seems Chartboost is functioning again at least in one quick test).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 10:35:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 10:35:59