Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Herolls - (alpha testers welcome)

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2018 23:25 Edited at: 12th May 2018 15:56
My new WIP is a dice based risk management type game.
Use your heroes to defend your base from attacks in a turn based game of dice and chance.

please download and play (v.12) and let me know what you think so far and report any bugs
note: is only 20mb from dropbox as it's a .zip file).

Or play on your phone via the google play store link (v12 will be available soon as it's been processed by google)
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2018 13:32
updated some minor tweaks and improvements and added 2 global skills - 'restore 1 health' or 'restore all used saves'.
to use the new skills drop a dice into the skill then when it is highlighted you can click it to activate (the saves skill is pre-charged).
(more skills to come soon)
new version available in the first post
life's one big game
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2018 17:53
Hey,

took me a couple of minutes to understand the mechanics
Played to round 4 without finding any bugs so far

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi smallg

I downloaded this morning so I’m guessing I missed the update. Nice work so far. Took me quite a while to understand it all but maybe my brain isn’t quite so sharp today. A few questions...

Are the saves (shields with 3 trees) supposed to return to 4 after each turn? I had 1 left and thought a hero only boosted it up by 1 each turn.

What is the dice hold for ? I didn’t feel the need to use it but am I missing something here?

Not sure why 1 heart flashes slower then the others, them faster flashing ones I understand but not sure they need too.

I’ve attached a photo... is there any reason why I didn’t lose a save here?

Does the hero health (the one that starts at 5) ever really drop enough for hero to die? I was always at 5 mainly.

Ok I need to try the update but an idea is for your hero’s to either sit down after a battle to show they can not be selected again this turn or have a hero house at the bottom and all hero’s still waiting their turn are lined up outside the house ready for battle whilst the used hero’s are inside resting, I find the battle screen but confusing with all of them out and the picture behind the information can show 2 hero’s battling but your only fighting with 1.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2018 20:52 Edited at: 28th Apr 2018 20:55
Quote: "took me a couple of minutes to understand the mechanics
Played to round 4 without finding any bugs so far"

yh i haven't put together any "how to" or tutorial yet, the game is pretty straight forward once you give it a few tries though i feel

Quote: "Are the saves (shields with 3 trees) supposed to return to 4 after each turn? I had 1 left and thought a hero only boosted it up by 1 each turn."

yep, the archer adds 2 extra maximum saves (if he dies you should only get 2 saves per turn).

Quote: "What is the dice hold for ? I didn’t feel the need to use it but am I missing something here?"

not really overly useful yet i agree, it is used if you wanted to gamble for a better result but not waste the higher dice (i..e you needed to reroll a 1 into a 4+ to clear an event otherwise perhaps your dice are better spent on other skills), it should be more useful later when more skills are added but it is not crucial, i also don't currently use it.
it should be more useful once combinations are added (such as skill that requires 3x 4's - if you only rolled 2x 4's you could then hold them and try reroll your remaining dice for that last 4).

Quote: "Not sure why 1 heart flashes slower then the others, them faster flashing ones I understand but not sure they need too."

the slower heart is the HP your knight gives you back (if he dies no heart will be restored except via the new skill), the others flash to indicate if you will die this turn or not (useful for knowing if you need a heal or not etc - the knight will not keep you alive if you are losing too much health).

Quote: "I’ve attached a photo... is there any reason why I didn’t lose a save here?"

hmm no, you should have lost a save, the combat saving is a bit of a mess in my code as i kinda wrote it while missing a feature and tried to add the feature in after... i tweaked it in the newer version but if it's still not working correctly in the new version i will likely just rewrite it

Quote: "Does the hero health (the one that starts at 5) ever really drop enough for hero to die? I was always at 5 mainly."

i agree (though you can certainly lose heroes very fast in the tougher waves with some unlucky rolls (a boss for example can have 5 chaos dice - purple dice which will hurt your hero when used) but i removed the main cause of hero damage (injury dice) as it could kill a hero too quickly with little way to stop it - but this is something i am planning to address with more skills and changing (varying) the way enemies damage you at the end of each turn.
also the mage will heal all heroes by 1 HP at the end of the turn so unless he dies you shouldn't really have any issue with hero HP yet.

Quote: "Ok I need to try the update but an idea is for your hero’s to either sit down after a battle to show they can not be selected again this turn or have a hero house at the bottom and all hero’s still waiting their turn are lined up outside the house ready for battle whilst the used hero’s are inside resting"
yes i will add some indication of who is still to act, i quite like the idea of making them sit down

Quote: "I find the battle screen bit confusing with all of them out and the picture behind the information can show 2 hero’s battling but your only fighting with 1"

the portraits show who is battling and you will fight 2 enemies at once if 2 are present however the small character animations are just for fun, each hero takes his turn and is essentially a separate force.
life's one big game
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 19:37
hi again
new in v.07
- added a sit down animation for heroes that have already acted
- changed the skills so all heroes now have 1 single target skill and 1 AoE type skill (the 2nd skill requires 3x the same value dice so the dice hold is now useful), skills also have no use cap now as it wasn't needed - now using the correct hero against boss waves will be much more effective.
also started changing the hero skill GUI to better condense the information on screen (needed for mobile players as the writing will be too small), not happy with it yet but it's better than before.
- adjusted the wave balance a tiny bit, the 4x enemy waves are now slightly stronger.
- fixed a bug with the virtual buttons causing a crash in the later waves
life's one big game
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2018 22:06
v.07 - forgot to mention i also added a warning text if you try to leave a location while you still have dice you could use (in case of accidental press on the exit button).

new in v.08
- added a new general skill to allow an extra reroll (costs 1 dice but can then be used by any hero)
- fixed archer taking damage from his first skill with 6's (left over code from his previous version of the skill)
- reworked the waves again so bosses have more HP (double their previous health so they are much stronger now)
- wave after the bosses now spawns no enemies (gives you a chance to catch up)
- dice are easier to select on mobile (not really relevant for PC play though they are easier to select on PC now too )
- added a visual prompt to inform you you need to select an enemy to target when using a skill while more than 1 enemy alive in the location
- the text in the wizard's skill GUI has been recoloured to white (as black on purple was too hard to see).
- fixed the overall HP not updating correctly while inside a location with a dead enemy (now correctly ignores any defeated but active enemy)
- you can now click to speed up the hero moving
life's one big game
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2018 21:59
v.09
- well v08 had a mistake in the code so it never got past wave 6 (thanks to me removing the enemies for that wave) so fixed that bug and now you can progress the game again
- added save and load system, very basic GUI but you can have 9 slots (that gives you 1 for each of the intended factions though of course you can use them in any way you like).
- saves automatically at the world map (so won't save during combat but will save in between hero turns etc)
*as the game is in alpha any saves made now may be removed in future updates so if you play and wish to keep your play through don't update - i will try inform on any updates if the update will invalidate old saves*

please let me know if you find any bugs with the save and load system
life's one big game
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2018 16:48
v10 *will overwrite any saves made in v09*
- removed passive block from heroes (all enemy status effects now effect all heroes equally)
- removed any passive effects that would cause the heroes to damage themselves (as all heroes will now take damage from using the purple status effect dice)
- increased the default number of saves to 5 (or 7 if ranger is alive)
- changed end of turn save restore system to only restore 1 save per hero still alive
- made the saves that will restore next turn flash (same as the HP system)
- added new hero combat skill to restore saves (number of saves restored is equal to the value of the dice used)
- removed general skill to restore all saves
- added new hero combat skill to restore 1 HP to current hero
- reworked the enemies to now use all status dice
- made the enemy HP random better (used to favour the extreme ends of the available pool too much)
- changed the enemy end of turn effects to now do either -1 base HP or -1 (all) hero HP (stacks with multiple enemies).
- added text to show hero HP at end of turn
- reduced the number of status effects on the 4x enemy waves by 1
- added some sound effects and music
life's one big game
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2018 18:03
I really like these types of dice games "to court the king" is an old favorite so I will be sure to check this out!
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2018 18:47
awesome, thanks
i found a bug with the new flashing save icon code if you hit 0 saves so have made a quick fix to v10, now v10b
life's one big game
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 02:34
Some basic instructions would be helpful, it's not exactly clear what you should be trying to roll, where you should be putting which dice, and what effect they are having
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow you been working hard smallg, I’ll have a look this weekend as not played since last Saturday.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2018 14:25
Quote: "Some basic instructions would be helpful, it's not exactly clear what you should be trying to roll, where you should be putting which dice, and what effect they are having"

yep but the game has been evolving and changing every day till now (even v9 to v10 saw some huge gameplay changes) so i have held off - however i am pleased to announce that i have added a tutorial for the game
please give it a try and let me know if you find it clear and helpful (i'm pretty happy with it myself but of course i already understand the game).

Quote: "Wow you been working hard smallg, I’ll have a look this weekend as not played since last Saturday."

yes this one has been a fun project, certainly one of my best games so far

new for v11. *will remove any previous saves*
- added a tutorial (i strongly suggest you give it a try if you're new to this style of game or if you just want to help beta test it as it may need some tweaks)
- fixed game not being able to progress if a hero died
- fixed save system not storing the enemy 'end of turn' effects
life's one big game
Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
Had a quick play last night, some good improvements specially the sounds and music. I still find that I don’t really lose any hero health and it’s mainly about keeping the saves high to stop bad effects. I am using the dice hold more now which is good.

Attached is 2 photos of a bug I got, I was on turn 7 I believe but had to nip out so when I came back I had screen saver on and when I went to attack I got these images. I tried leaving the game till screen saver came on again so see if it was that but it was ok the 2nd time??

Attachments

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2018 15:37 Edited at: 6th May 2018 17:42
That's certainly a valid play style, I think once you get further into the game you will see that it becomes very tricky, the first full wave (turn's 1-6) is more of the beginners period so you can get a feel for the game, after that any turn can really start to feel like a disaster with a bad roll or decision... And you really need to keep an eye on which enemies can be ignored, So far I have only made it to turn 16 or 17 in this version... Balancing is definitely a tricky beast as I don't want to take away that learning period but if needs be I could see about adjusting some enemies (perhaps the bosses should get double the end of turn effect).... Obviously the game becomes easier at the start for those of us that already have a feel for it.. So perhaps a way to skip the starting wave would also be an option (like a hard mode).

Thanks for the image, was that using the save and load system or simply from resuming the game from a background state? It seems like it is missing an image file but there's no reason it should be as you would have already been using them for the game previously... Weird, however if you saved the game you can still load the save and continue
edit:
this is the code in question and it seems fine, not sure what would have caused the image file to go missing...

basically just checking for the .png file and if it exists it will load that otherwise it will load the encrypted version (from your image pteam[1] = 1 and lsa = 1) and as you can clearly see in your media file "inside/1/bg1.png" does exist so it should just load that rather than trying to find the non-existent .kaz file... definitely an odd one.
life's one big game
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2018 15:12
Made it to turn 19 today but things were way too difficult :p
Have a small update coming to improve the loading - mostly just to hide the loading process behind something (first version is just a sprite but will improve it with some form of animation I think), also reducing the load times a bit (not really any load time already on PC but can be a couple seconds, to enter a location etc, on mobile so have tried to reduce it as much as possible).

Would anyone be interested in a multiplayer version of the game? (Local play or hosting your own server)... Something to consider for v2 perhaps.
life's one big game

Attachments

Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
My error was just from returning to the game, I hadn’t used the save / load system yet as it was my first game. Was going to play some more but been busy this weekend with the weather being so nice, being British you have to grab it whilst you can, also had my first major bug in my project which I only just fixed tonight, almost gave up on it.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2018 14:26
Quote: "also had my first major bug in my project which I only just fixed tonight, almost gave up on it."

bugs like that are the worst but at least you got it fixed, motivation is certainly the hardest part for me too so glad to hear you didn't give up

decided not to release the small update as i have been working on the campaign mode - added a (rubbish) intro and started adding in the other factions (currently non-playable though it is set up to allow you to play as any i haven't done all the required animations yet so will take a fair bit longer) which you will fight (randomly) in turn, as the game can now last 96 turns (game is now 3 x 4 turns per faction - instead of 3 x 6) i have dialled back the difficulty increase and am currently balance and bug testing to see what needs adjusting.
also reworking the skills a little bit yet again (just for balancing mainly)
have made the boss 'end of turn' effects double (kinda balances the removed wave) and have plans to add some extra effect to the bosses so each faction gets a different "bonus" for their bosses.
life's one big game
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2018 15:53 Edited at: 12th May 2018 19:42
new in v12 *will overwrite old saves*
- added 3 new factions to fight against (now a total of 5 factions in the game)
- changed the combat to 3 x 3 waves (plus 1 empty wave every 4th) - new faction comes every 13th wave
- added faction specific boss bonuses (can be seen in game via a little help icon - i plan to add help icons to more things but haven't got around to it yet)
- expanded the tutorial to cover the first boss fight
- added an intro story (just a test for now, will improve it at some point)
- added more sounds
- reworked the skills and added a new one (all 5 *different value* dice can now be used to deal massive damage)
- hero heal was moved to the general skills (can now be used from the main map screen).
- can now remove dice from the skills that require multiple dice (mostly in case of accidental placement)

Well had a play session and found some bugs (most notably, using the hero heal in the world map causes the game to crash, not sure how that snuck in but at least the save system will stop it causing too much of an issue).
Made it to turn 30 but boy is it tough, the samurai finished me off but at least I defeated the fairies and the humans I guess :p
life's one big game

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:45:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:45:32