Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / [Tier 1] Sprite animation on a 3D plane?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any relatively easy way of doing this?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2018 14:44
You can put your 2D Animated sprite offscreen and use a RenderImage to create the image. Then texture your 3D plane with the Render Image.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Good solution, except that the VR plugin takes over the camera resolution. I think I try importing individual frames as a series of images!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2018 15:38
With Batvinks suggestion, it might get a little messy - it really depends it the workload is worth it.

If you are using this on a single object, then I'd be tempted to just make a shader to handle a sprite sheet image source. Like, set the UV coordinate for the desired frame - heck you could even use a vector, so XY the first corner of the sprite, and ZW the second corner. That way you'd apply a sprite sheet image to the object, and update a vector to set the actual image area to display. Adding animation frame by frame to that would be straightforward.

I could rustle up an example for you, wouldn't take long.
The code is dark and full of errors
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2018 15:53
A shader isnt needed really to do this

Just set the UV offset and scale on a plane/rectangle object to show part of a sprite sheet. Once the scale is set correctly its only the offset that needs to change for each animation frame.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Bengismo, that worked! Clever hack!

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:21:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:21:23