Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Admob Smartbanner is not working

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2018 13:13 Edited at: 8th Jun 2018 13:17
Hi

I just noticed that if I use admob Smartbanner for my admob banner (CreateAdvert(5, 1, 2, 0) ), it does not shown on the screen, but when I set the banner to use fluid banner (CreateAdvert(6, 1, 2, 0)). It does displayed on the screen.

I'm asking this since smartbanner will use the the optimum size relative to the phone or tablet size. This is published as apk and tested using live and test banner.

Anybody encounter this ? I think this is a bug. All my games using Smartbanner using Construct 2 displayed the smart banner without any problems.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 12:44 Edited at: 10th Jun 2018 13:00
Yes, you are right. On Android devices I have never been able to get smart banners to show at all using AGK. On iOS they seem to work if running an iPhone 6 or later, or iPad 3+. I don't even know what the "fluid banner" type is since it just shows as a small banner and isn't part of the Admob Ad Types at all.

My solution currently is to use smart banners for modern iOS devices and standard banners for all other devices and Android. But it's not ideal. I also am unsure at the moment what version of the Admob SDK is being used by AppGameKit, since the last reference to it being updated in the change log was way back in 2016 with 7.15.0 (16 major versions behind). There are many new features in the latest SDK including improved placement and support for iPhone X, mediation potential and so on.

(EDIT: Checking via Xcode reveals: "<Google:HTML> You are currently using version 7.20.0 of the SDK. Please consider updating your SDK to the most recent SDK version to get the latest features and bug fixes." So AppGameKit is still bundling the version from May 2017 (13 months and 11 versions out-of-date). Everything in the Admob change log from after May 13, 2017 is not implemented.

I actually wrote to Paul about the ad issue on May 21 but haven't heard back. My message was:

Quote: "I have found that if I set the Admob banner type to 5 (smart banner) they never actually appear on any Android devices. I have tried several tablets and phones using both test and real ad unit IDs. It works fine on iOS devices and if I revert to the original non-smart banner format they appear on Android as well. Have you experienced this? I’m not sure what the “6 - fluid ad” type is in the documentation as it just shows a standard small banner when I try it.

Relatedly, I don’t know what version of the Admob SDK is currently in use but at least 7.26.0 (iOS) is required for proper iPhone X support (it moves the close button on fullscreen ads to a safe area). Likewise in order to prevent “top” banners from overlapping the notch in iPhone X it should be allowable to set a custom y position instead of just top, center or bottom so it could be offset so many pixels from the top, for example. The latest Admob SDK includes additional benefits relating to ad mediation etc.

Finally it would be very helpful if we could retrieve the true width and height of the banner in pixels though the AdSize.getWidthInPixels() and AdSize.getHeightInPixels() methods Google provides, especially useful for smart banners."
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 17:46
I've fixed the smart banners not appearing on Android, it was because the view we were using to display them was set to an undefined width, so ads with non-specific widths, like smart banners, couldn't work out how big they needed to be. However when the screen width is very large, e.g. 2048 pixels, the smart banners still refuse to display, possible because it can't find any ads that big. I've also fixed smart banners on iOS displaying in the wrong position, but I couldn't replicate any problem with them not appearing at all on iOS.

I've updated the AdMob SDK to 7.31.0 on iOS for the next version. Android is currently using 11.8.0 and will remain at that for the next version.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 03:51 Edited at: 19th Jun 2018 03:53
Thanks Paul!

Quote: "However when the screen width is very large, e.g. 2048 pixels, the smart banners still refuse to display, possible because it can't find any ads that big."

Does this happen when using the Google Test Banner ID as well? "ca-app-pub-3940256099942544/6300978111" That should display a test ad and help verify if it's just a fill rate issue or not. Usually smart banners work by centering a banner with a background if a fluid one for the given resolution is not found but I haven't done any extensive testing on Android. (On iOS these display fine at 2048+).
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 16:08
The test banner works at 2048 on Android, and now so does the TGC account, so maybe it was just a momentary glitch in the ad server.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 19:50 Edited at: 19th Jun 2018 19:50
@Paul, on the subject of ads please also check that rewarded videos are functioning correctly in the latest versions. In testing (via AppGameKit Player and direct build to iOS) I've had no luck with Chartboost since AppGameKit 2017.12.12. This includes in the rewarded ad sample included. When I compile and run via Xcode I also get the notice:

Chartboost Integration Warning: your account has been set to advertiser only. +[Chartboost cacheInterstitial] has been disabled. Please contact support if you expect this call to function.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 20:28
Chartboost reward ads are working here, sounds like it might be a problem with your account, this link talks about the problem you describe.
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
With latest build , I still cant display Smartbanner ads on android, only fluidbanner. Did you guys able to display smartbanner ads on android ?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 15:58
Tested on a Galaxy S8 with SetAdMobDetails( "ca-app-pub-6042722625366627/9089962569" ) and CreateAdvert( 5, 1, 2, 0 ) works here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:03:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:03:48