Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Struggle: Books or GG Loader?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,

I recently dive into AGK. I have previous background in game making and some games behind as well.

I moved from GM Studio and Clickteam Fusion towards AppGameKit because there is a 3D world that I want to explore and even combine with 2D.

Now that Steam sale is going on, my budget is limited and I need clear head in making my next move. But it's not that simple.

It's eather me buying official AppGameKit books (vol 1 and 2) or going for GameGuru and GG loader.

I am afraid if I go for GG and Loader extensions first I will be stuck cuz I don't know how to code yet in AppGameKit (I have experience only with GML scripting) On the other hand I am interested mostly in 3D here and I really want PBR functionality inside agk and I am afraid that book will maybe not be much helpful in that mission.

I need your thinking about my struggle guys, what should I take or skip?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 14:43
GG loader will save you so much work if you don't want to build your own world maker - note that GG loader doesn't currently have any AI etc so you will still need to code or add your own pathfinding etc
while the books are nice, they aren't all that good for covering stuff in detail, you can get most of the information from the help files in AppGameKit already, the books just give a slightly better layout and are easier to follow... they certainly won't show you how to create a fully working 3D game and if you can already code you won't really learn much from them.

life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
MadTinkerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 14:47 Edited at: 27th Jun 2018 14:48
You absolutely need the first tutorial guide, period. The second tutorial guide is really helpful as well (I'm on chapter 5 now), but the first guide is ESSENTIAL. Don't make the mistake of trying to learn AppGameKit with just the official documentation.

EDIT: Of course, since you mentioned that you're doing 3D, actually the second tutorial guide is also essential. You need them both.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 20:19
Thanks to Alistair

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:33:45
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:33:45