Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Copy UV and material/textures to another object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
It's been a while since and I have to follow up with a new thread since I can't reply on my old one here

The above thread already solved copying the UV set to another object and I had a chance to get back to this and now checking with other dbo models, there's a problem with getting the right material from the 2nd UV as opening the output model, it seems it is reading from the 1st UV but both UV channels materials are there.
Bored of the Rings
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 13:15
ah yes, I recall posting a code error on that thread. I am interested in this and will have a "revisit" and get some code together as I've done a lot of DBO/texture/multi material type of code and format conversion stuff which has been pretty challenging and very satisfying. I'll fire up DBPro and have a play with some code after work.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 21:22
I have also been working on converting the DBO format and found the going slow. I have noticed there are omission errors in the DBO specification document. I also have been doing a little bit of work a day so I don't burn out and can maintain progress. It's been slow going but I haven't run into any road blocks yet. I will first read all of the codes and dump the data into a text file (phase 1). Then I will convert that code to store the data in appropriate variables and arrays (phase 2). Then I will have the code repack the data into a byte for byte perfect DBO file (phase 3). Since I have already done this for the other format I am working with I will then begin code to convert the data from one format to the other (phase 4). Then do the reverse (phase 5). Then the easy part give it all a nice GUI (phase 6).

I'm sure weighted verts and animations will be convoluted an nearly impossible to figure out. Especially if the angles are stored differently and some sort of university level calculus course is needed understand and implement the conversions. Maybe.
RustyKristy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 14:43 Edited at: 16th Jul 2018 14:44
Hey, nice to hear from you again BoTR that would be awesome, thanks. Any update on this btw?

@Mage
Actually I'm only concerned with static objects with multiple UVs/materials and it would also be interesting to check out your work if it supports it and then some.
Bored of the Rings
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 19:10
@RustyKristy: ah, I knew I meant to do something......will have a look as soon as I get some spare time...shouldn't be long.....
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 19:58
RustyKristy wrote: "Actually I'm only concerned with static objects with multiple UVs/materials and it would also be interesting to check out your work if it supports it and then some."

What I am working on would cover that but I am still a long way from releasing anything viable as I am too distracted with other things to work at a fast pace. Also I am working purely from a file format perspective. That involves basically needing to be able to parse and repack objects completely.

This seems like a "Phase 3" problem.

I am getting confused by your grammar in the opening post. Can you in detail describe the information that needs to be copied from Object 1 to Object 2? If I get to Phase 3 then I will be able to open the file up, make changes, and save it again.
For example I have already done this for another file format where the material is merely stored as a string. So opening the file, changing the string, and then re-saving would change the material.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2018-07-17 14:47:02
Your offset time is: 2018-07-17 14:47:02