Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Not another retro pixel game - Pocket rpg

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2018 10:45
Great fubpark

Going to do a small update more then will i have to take a break a few Days...

I get so much in to my Projects that they drain me
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 16th Aug 2018 14:12
Quote: "I get so much in to my Projects that they drain me "

I have the same problem

fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2018 05:10
Had the time to sit down and do some new banners and feature stuff for slide db and goggle store.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2018 21:15
Default skin made and purchased theme Music from playonloop.

So Little time and now nightshift at work

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2018 11:04
Having a painfull time to try to sleep after the night shift
Its Bright and hot and i want to sleep….
So i made a more up to date trailer to fit the latest Changes.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2018 11:51
Trailers pay a big part in getting downloads
and that one is pretty good
fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2018 19:25
Thanks fubpark
But iam patient .
Pixelstein and a other app i have took some time until it got downloaded in any amounts…
And still not generating much in add Revenue
Think pixelstein have 20 activ installs and 80-90 total but it generates so Little Revenue that its at 0 constantly in admob

So far do i do it for fun but soon are i unemployed so would be nice with some extra cash
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2018 04:51 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2018 04:53
This is looking awesome Cliff! You need to get the word out do some marketing I think. Thing is we can make the greatest game ever but it won't do any good if only the folks here on this forum know about it. With Google's recent changes on the app store marketing is much more important now than ever before.

See if you can get it covered by Polygon, PockerGamer, DroidGamers and the many other popular websites covering android games. Also YT channels. I don't know how much reach TGC have but getting in their showcase can't hurt and maybe they post on Twitter about new submissions to their showcase I don't know. This game deserves to be known imo.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2018 06:11 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2018 08:10
I think its good enough to submit here https://thegdwc.com/ in the hobby category and even if it just
makes it to the fan favorite votes it will get great coverage

And if your after some great feedback Twodogs give great free feedback live and record each show so you can watch later
http://www.gamedevcompany.com/ Im in the queue for next Thursday.
fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2018 11:50
gdwc actually invited me today to take part
They have played my game and liked it..
A guy named Justin there…

Maybe i have time to finish my current prototype for it also in time..
low res shump with destructable track.
something similar to voxels but lowres..
Have only worked for 4 hours on the first draft for the mapper and tile editor for it...

Attachments

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2018 15:22 Edited at: 24th Aug 2018 01:22
Very true game jams in general (not tiny isolated events like just here but I mean big ones that are well known like Ludum Dare) are great for getting coverage. There are many YTers that review many games not just the top few.

A small number of people actually record plays of every single game which is a herculean task now with LD getting THOUSANDS of games made in a single weekend (these days "everybody" wants to be an Indie game dev so thousands truly like 5,000+ people enter into some of the LD game jams all hoping to get some exposure from it... but way it is can't do anything about it but market harder and defeat them! LOL).

But yeah that worldwide jam is sure to get some decent coverage so good to get in there. Basically just need to get out there wherever there are big / well known events and participate. Or take the slow way of building up followers on Twitter, GameJolt etc.

Anyway good luck man!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 06:40
Thanks guys iam going to enter to see wath happens…
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 12:35
Hi Cliff- sorry, don't remember getting an email. EDS is actually very cruely close to completion... basically it needs debugged - but all the levels and enemies are done, intro sequence, end sequence, everything pretty much. I think a lot of the bugs are from optimisations that aren't really needed these days. I try not to worry about competing games... I mean, they won't have much more than was shown in the videos... they sure as hell don't have the mad items I've added.

Anyway, let me check over the source and see if I can squish any more bugs and get a copy to you.

Also, just let me know if you need any sprites done.
The code is dark and full of errors
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 06:49
Sounds cool van b
Looking forward to see wath you have done with it...
I wonder if you are intrested in payed work for a small game,i cant offer much but lets take that behinde closed doors.
I have i Project i want done for my goggle play space but not the time..
Its a small pico 8 style of game with 16 colors and 8-16 pixel sprites and tiles.
And about 6-8 levels…
I will pm you my current email...
do you have a Facebook page as its very simple to message each other there...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2018 06:45
Spend Money to earn Money so purchased work by kronbits at itch io ..
Made them a bit less pixelated and more colorfull and now it looks like this.

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2018 06:32
Looking great Cliff
have you submitted to GDWC yet?
Also the two dogs site is a great way of getting a free review by a team who has had some great success
with their own projects think i posted both links
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Sep 2018 07:15
Well done, now the level can be beaten - its time to do some pre-building of new and bigger mazes
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2018 16:19 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2018 16:20
Yes fubpark
Got this in two emails today..

Ihave that in mind puzzler

But seams they like the compact dungeons while playing on mobiles ?
Then do also the night shift at the factory kill me

I dont have to much energy anymore….

Its my fastest downloaded game so far? ( time to reach around 50 downloads )

I have Another app that is alot better but a small utillity….

But i still dont earn much

About 1 cent a day
And thats on all apps combined…...
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 11:21
I gave up on making money with apps ages ago if you making 1 cent a day that's allot better than I
did I made almost $20 then everybody got refunds and most of them were around the 30 day mark
from what understand from daily monitoring. So I figure well I cant make money that way because it
went back to just a few dollars overnight. I'm allot better coder in AppGameKit now but still would prefer more
downloads And as I have previously said ide prefer to stay away from coin systems and go for family
friendly apps
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 12:45
Or maybe think big to perhaps gain big!

People in the world likes a game to get their teeth into to play for hours - perhaps months - not 1 or 2 times and move onto the next app.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2018 11:06
I will do bigger apps when they Close the factory and i have more time
We will get som bonuses that should help then also.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2018 16:00
Be sure to vote to support a fellow agk dev
https://thegdwc.com/

Van b i have emiled you on the forum email but no response so far?
is it inactiv?
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2018 21:07 Edited at: 9th Sep 2018 00:41
As we've said many times Cliff time is the key. And besides why the need to do bigger projects anyway? If you want to do larger scale then do it. If you want to make a dozen more smaller scale projects then do that. In the end for most of us I think this is basically something done for fun first & foremost so makes sense to work on whatever a person is happy working on.

I definitely want to scale up my projects too but never going to be multi year things. The longest I've spent on a game project so far is around 50 hours over about a month. That seemed like a lot though. So I dropped the dev time back. I look at it the other way... key is not to be spending more and more time but to make the development more efficient. Get the right foundation and tools in place so the games we made before can be made in half the time and then can tackle a project with twice the scale in the same time as we're used to. Then add in some extra time and should make a big difference!

Need a solid foundation in place to achieve that.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 15:06
Hi Cliff Mellangard

Just curious how your games are going?
How well did the voting go at GDWC etc?

fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 15:20
Its slow and i dont earn much simply put…
I did not enter at the top 3 at the app of the week and final gdwc voting is at the end of the month..

I dont Think i will end up to high as my apps are to unknow simply…

If i dont earn more by january so will i probably put many Projects on ice for a while and do something else
And do small code snippets from time to time

As a coder and designer so is it hard to compete with all apps and games made with all drag and drop Tools that are free.

Not that all of them are good because most of them are pretty bad but they make most new users unintrested to test something new when a couple of thousand new gets released each week from indi devs

I have started to read the Word indipocalypse alot on forums from more experinced devs that are starting to have problems getting noticed also
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 16:35
It can be quite disheartening especially when you see something that has taken like a weekend to put together
out rank something well planned designed and thought out. For the record I think you have great skills, I try &
keep programming more of a hobby thing. Which is to say I love doing snippets and love seeing my finished
apps meet an audience. But making money is hard from games there is so much competition and then there
is free apps that people release that are just as good as the paid ones. My solution to all of that is to keep it a
hobby
that way it stays fun and enjoyable to do, When money gets in the way of progress it becomes more of
a chore and the fun factor is gone, unfortunately we all need money tho to live.

Apologies when I saw your post about the GDWC voting I was too late so I couldn't vote for you, or I would've.
I haven't voted on many games from GDWC as I figure I shouldn't vote for games by videos alone as they require
testing on pc aswell.

Perhaps you could release one or two of your apps sourcecode to TGC to use in one of there game packs, it
may not give you the returns you desire. But it would get your name out there and you could make a little cash
and still have rights to your software on google play etc just the source code you supply tell them they can use
your media for testing but licencing of media they have to ask you specifically. Its just a thought as i like to see
your apps, but im not a purchaser so im not your best audience.

Well after that long comment il summarize DONT GIVE UP your put together great pieces of work.

fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2018 14:26
Thanks fubpark for the feedback..
Iam currently exhausted by my fulltime work so its hard to stay positiv Always
Want to dev but not much Money in it...
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have started to read the Word indipocalypse alot on forums from more experinced devs that are starting to have problems getting noticed also "

Honestly, I still think there are good games out there that are able to gain a decent audience (mostly through Youtubers playing the games, spreading the word, indie specific websites etc). There's also a factor of luck involved, especially for those who lack marketing funding. Honestly, the whole 'game from TV ad' stuff seems to work even for fairly mediocre games, but no doubt the typical indie dev will never be able to do that. So.... in turn the games have to be really really good, get noticed and get in a bit of a snowball effect.

On mobile the market has absolutely been flooded with games, but there are maybe only a few thousand that are actually 'good' games. Even 'worse', a lot of the good stuff is free to play. And it's very hard to compete with free stuff.
I'm not so sure if ads you need to click away to continue playing is something people like. Or rather, perhaps people will uninstall such an app more quickly than something that has a one time fee of 1$ . With 20 downloads, you'd have 20$, instead of 0.004$ for each ad view, if it even is that much.

I must say I am impressed with this new maze RPG. At the same time, it may be somewhat of a niche game because of it? I mean, don't get me wrong, it doesn't seem like a bad game. And it is certainly not that my own games are mainstream in any way either. But looking at one of the more recent popular 'hypes' on mobile, you'd be looking at something like Pokemon Go or Candy Crush. Some longer ago, yes Angry Birds, although I wouldn't be too surprised if people have forgotten about that already. Maybe PU's Battlegrounds is the current 'hot' game on mobile? Well, that's a fairly complete 3D multiplayer shooter. Not my kind of game, but if you see that type of competition I think we indie devs need to lower our expectations for sure. I also think Pokemon Go had people playing for like a month or so, after that player numbers definitely dropped very hard.

Of course, we can all dream about releasing another 'FlappyBird' sleeper hit out of nowhere, but what are the odds. Anyway, rant over. Sorry
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, forgot to say, but I truly do think you make some nice games man. And completed in fairly short amount of time it seems.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2018 17:16 Edited at: 1st Oct 2018 17:28
i have about 500-600 installs all together on all apps and about 50-60 activ users.

i have earned 5 us dollars since january.

Narpg is my fastest downloaded app and third most activ users.

I use banners and reward adds to get extra stuff. ( dont belive in forcing users to watch adds)

Youtubers are not that intrested in all us smaller devs until someone else put a big marker on you...

As a small dev will not that many pay even 1 dollar to download your game.

And you usually get in a boring refund cycle...

Iam currently rising in popularity but thats a extremly slow path since january this year with promoting myself on indi sites.

The rise in popularity is more or less pixelstein and narpg and a 3d printer app i made.

Iam working on Another light rpg style game like narpg for a quick on the go adventure as that seams to attract most users…

The biggest problem i see is addblockers and all these piracy apk sites...
Users on the piracy apk sites usually use addblockers..

Goggle pixelstein 3d and not Another retro pixel game.....
And Watch all the apk sites that have my apps for download …
Thats sad for me as a dev as i cant track any downloads or anything on these sites.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
The biggest problem i see is addblockers and all these piracy apk sites...
Users on the piracy apk sites usually use addblockers..

Goggle pixelstein 3d and not Another retro pixel game.....
And Watch all the apk sites that have my apps for download …
Thats sad for me as a dev as i cant track any downloads or anything on these sites."

I had no idea that even existed. That's pretty bad to hear. It does remind me about how I wanted to use a website server to make apps 'phone home' to confirm legit purchases. But for now, that's a bit outside of my skills in terms of setting up a website properly, nor do I know whether we can actually do such a thing using AGK2.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2018 13:23
I Think goggle have some strict rules coming about using phone functions also ?
Its a bit up and down but some months i earn 0.5 cent and Another i earn a dollar
I simply nead more downloads.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:41:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:41:04