Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Bigger levels?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey. FPSC has been open source for quite some time now
And I'D like to ask if anyone has already come up with an idea
on how to enlarge the game area WITHOUT scaling down Things.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 00:07
nope.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 00:11
Deine Mutter You are in luck. I've been playing with the source code and have been able to get the grid size up to 60x60x20 ( the 20 are the layers up & down )
Have to work out some bugs ( npc's stop from edge to early ) but seem to work otherwise I have NOT done any test builds as of yet, so that might be another
problem to overcome ???

I do need some "input" from other members as to what a "good grid size" would be ? 60x60 grid appears big enough ( I mean it's BIG )
but others like you might want it larger ??? Also the "Layers" up & down. I'm trying to make this simple some levels don't
get TOO big. How about just for now 5 layers up & down ? 60x60x5 or 80x80x5 or even something unique like 60x40x2 ( anything/size is possible )

Now remember, I'm using V1.20 ( not Black Ice mod ) and with the new grid size any old maps are no good. This would need a new, fresh, clean install location,
all by itself for testing purposes if this would even work For all I know the builds might become so large it's not worth it in the end
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 01:23
There is probably a reason no one else has done this, But give it a try anyway. Hope you get it to work ncmako.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
sman512
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 01:59
I think no one did this because the time to build a static universe with dimensions of more than 40 x 40 x 20 takes an unbelievable amount of time. Bugs can be corrected, but not those that are related to the building of the universe.
GS
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 11:06
Well I did manage to get the grid to 60x60, but this comes with a host of other problems as sman512 noted.
AI has trouble finding paths, edge detection and more. ( Characters walk off the edge ) I'll spend a little more time on this,
but if the "builds" take too long I'll drop the idea.
sman512
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2018 01:18 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2018 02:15
I was doing some thinking and, and it seems that the download time can be a little faster if replace the type of portalblocker for some segments, so maybe this idea is not hopeless. As far as I can see, most of segments use mesh scanned portalblocker, even if it is not necessary.
GS
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2018 22:04
Thanks sman512. Right now I'm still working on character AI finding border edges And another problem is the "water" plane
not stretching to cover the 60x60 grid. So a lot needs to be done before this would actually work ????
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2018 15:19 Edited at: 5th Aug 2018 20:16
Ok, after some trouble shooting I got the waypoints & water plane to work on a 60x60 grid. AI path finding works to the edge now.
@sman512 Your correct on the increase of time it takes to build the static universe. Almost double
Segment walls are all fine, just no doors/dynamic objects when placing near edges. Will try and find/fix problems

Edit: ok, got the CSG-Punch to properly punch holes where needed when using segment doors...ect
One question to anyone who knows, when applying the 4gig patch, is it applied to the fpsc-game.exe
or both fpsc-game.exe and the fpsc-mapeditor.exe ??? And...once the patch is applied is the command
"systemmemorycapoff=x" still needed in the setup.ini ?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2018 01:37
Try this out for testing purposes only. Make a fresh install of V1.20 by itself. Replace the fpsc-game.exe & fpsc-mapeditor.exe.
Fpsc grid size will be 60x60x20. Did one test build and went smooth but definitely larger build size, but that's to be expected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3ugatyb4tnyeiq/FPSCV1.20%20Grid%2060x60.zip?dl=0
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2018 01:42
@ Deine Mutter Have you tried out the test .exe? Does it work for you ?
Deine Mutter
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, it works just fine. Pretty damn dope!
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2018 16:29
Wow I'm impressed with the continued development work on FPSC you guys are doing. Fantastic.
Free Game Guru Assets: http://www.freetoronto.org/gameguru/index.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:45:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:45:47