Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Return Sound Volume as it plays back? [Possible Work for Hire]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 00:58
I'm trying to get certain effects to react to sound playback, If AppGameKit is playing sample of a character speaking, I wanted to have the volume of the voice in the recording drive some parameters, like the scale of the head for comedic game, for instance or if it 's a robot, the brightness of the glow for the mouth. Is there anything like this already out there for Tier 2?

If not, how much would you ask to write something of this sort for Tier 2 of AppGameKit?
Eisenstadt Studio: Eisenstadtstudio.com
Composers Page: Milesthatch.net
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 02:50
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 03:46
Thanks for the link.

This looks like it's MIDI driven which is totally suitable for sync with digitally composed Music, which you have to use MIDI in order to write either way. In my case, however, it's the audio waveform that needs to drive the parameters, which means I'd need to make up or find a solution that converts the loudness of the voice into MIDI data (such as recording the volume into CC values between 0 and 127) and now you're dealing with another file set.

Say I'm just using Wav Files. These are not encoded and thus would be openly accessible to read. Perhaps the waveform data can be read there somehow and the playback synced to the playback of the sound?
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 04:24
Although he has a

GetVolume might just be what I'm after here.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 04:30
maybe have a look at CreateMemblockFromSound()
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 04:49
Aaah, this might actually be just what I'm looking for. The structure is simmilar to what I was reading up on wav file format.

Thanks for the heads up.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 10:21
I have experimented with memory blocks with sound and have had some success with changing the speed
of a wav file (only uncompressed wav files work) aslong as they are not large but you may want to have a
look at this thread https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222158 as it may help you work
out how to retrieve individual volumes. The volume levels can also be retrieved there is an example on that
page that sets the volumes

fubar
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 18:52 Edited at: 17th Aug 2018 19:17
Heres a sample project that i was mucking around with which gets volume of a wav being played and animates sprite volume meters based on the current volume. Its teir 1 but would easily translate to teir 2 and be quicker.

Im pretty sure Preben on here did this first but i cant find the thread.

TGC website wont allow me to upload it () so ive had to host the agk project here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=11123355071989969763
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2018 19:18
@Bengismo that works really well, nice one
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline