Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / (DBPRO, Matrix1Utils) - Another approach to procedural textures in 2D (with source)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2018 16:48
Hello, folks!

I know I'm not known for my programming skills, but I LOVE DarkBASIC Professional and what it allows me to do.
As you know, Procedural Content Generation is the future of game programming, because it allows a huge amount of content to be created without human interference, what saves a lot of programming time and lets the programmer free to spend that time in game design itself.

One of the hardest things - in my humble opinion - is to generate graphic elements that are interesting enough to resemble hand-made ones.

This is another approach to procedural texturing for retrogame - those with strong pixel-art involved, that doesn't need to be realistic but need to be colorful and varied enough to be useful.

This is a small texture catalogue (with 9 quintillion procedural textures prepared to show you the potential of DBPro in generating stuff by itself with almost no coding and nothing too complicated, accessible to noobs and veterans).

What it does is to generate textures into a sprite and paste it to screen - you can get some good wallpapers among the zillions of pictures it generates. Use the arrow keys to cycle through the catalogue and feel free to modify and use it at will.

Hope you find it useful or, at least, inspiring.
[size=+2]Forever and one[/size]
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 18th Aug 2018 20:37
nice one. Reminded me of the days of Atari console games.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Starshyne Emir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2018 01:13
Thank you.

I'm stuck with my idea of a fully procedural game that makes everything from levels, sounds and graphics to names, missions and everything. My goal is to make a truly infinite game that can be played forever without repeating itself - and it is horribly hard even with simple graphics.

There are lots of snippets in here of things I've made regarding PCG - from solar systems to spaceships - always focusing on pixel art and retro theme. Stay tuned for more crappy pixels, they are everywhere.
Starshyne Emir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2018 17:23
Expanded version with more kinds of patterns.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 20th Aug 2018 17:26
Quote: "nice one. Reminded me of the days of Atari console games. "

Same here .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:25:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:25:35