Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Desperately need help with this game. Why does it crash?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 19:42
Well, folks, I made a little game to compete in a game jam and uploaded it to Gamejolt. The jam was promoted by an youtuber who would showcase all the games of the jam on a live. It was the first opportunity I had to show my work to about 1 thousand people and I made a little game to compete.

In the day of the livestream showcase, I waited for my game to be played and BOOOM! it didn't work! It opened but only shown a blank window.

Here's the link of the game:

[link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5CmE4dJRE
[/link]

The page is half in Engluish and half in Portuguese, the source code is posted in the devlog. There are two builds available for download - the "gamejaaj" build is a remade (poorly remade) version for the competition and the other is a better one.

I tested them in two computers - both with DarkBASIC Professional installed, one with Windows 10 (the one I wrote the code onto) and the other running Windows 7.

Please tell me what is wrong, what is making my games not run in other computers except of my own!

My theory is that the resolution of the screen - which is detected from the user's desktop res - is crashing the game - since my resolution is 1366x768 and the computers of other people run at higher resolutions, but I am not sure.

Does DBPRO has a resolution limit? Help, please! I will stop developing games if no one can run them. I desperately need help and my friends are all "too busy" to spend some time helping me.

This community is my last hope. Please send me a light!
[size=+2]Forever and one[/size]
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 20:08
Damn man,

Please post screenshots of the fault; is the background black, blue or grey? Is it running in Window mode or exclusive desktop?

Be sure to Alt-Tab to locate any message box errors hidden behind your DBP game window. Try logging the program behavior to file.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 20:23
Starshyne Emir

My guess is taht you probably need to include some DLL files which get installed on your two machines when you install DBP and some plug-ins.

It can take some time to work out which ones are needed. There are some threads around on this board where such things get discussed. Have you tried searching for topics related to your problem?

As Chris says, that youtube link tells us nothing about your problem, although I suppose it might if it were in English...
Starshyne Emir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 20:41
Oh, man, sorry, wrong link.

This is the real one:

[link]https://gamejolt.com/games/wikiwiki/344905[/link]

About DLLs, I thought it could be the VC++ runtime libraries, but they are included on the GameJaaj build of the game.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 21:13
There are other DLLs needed by DBPro and perhaps by some of its plugins. I'll see if I can find a relevant thread.
Starshyne Emir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 21:19
I am using Matrix1Utils, which requires VC++ Runtime, and no other functions from other plugins are present in the code.
I made some tests with only default DBPro functions and it works, but always when I use M1U or DXShop plugin, things become weird.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 21:35 Edited at: 24th Aug 2018 22:20
That's very interesting and, as it happens, closely mirrors what I reported here:

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219806#msg2606029

I'm not sure of the simplest solution in your case but you might find it helpful to look at a few threads posted around the same time.

Good luck with this, dealing with missing DLLs can be a right pain sometimes .

Edit:

Have just tested your game.

I was initially baffled since all I could see was the title screen - and then just a black screen after tentatively pressing <return>. After a bit more experimenting I noticed that the arrow keys seemed to do something - but I couldn't see what exactly .

After a few more attempts I realised that I had to briefly turn + or - 90 degrees so that I was looking down a corridor. I've tried a few times now but haven;t seen any of these "portals". I know I'm supposed to be using my eyes and have to be quick so perhaps both of those requirements are beyond me - for now . I have a suspicion that I saw something like a door or panel closing at one end of the tunnel but I can never get close quickly enough to be sure.

The main problem I had, apart from being just too slow, was that the turn speed seemed far too fast to me. The up/down keys controlled the forward speed nicely though.

Anyway, with the addition of some sound and a better more polished start to the game I can see this could be fun. Incidentally, I got killed 7 times before realising how to control things. Is that good or bad?

Good luck with this.
Starshyne Emir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 23:03
Well, I am trying a different approach to the problem: I downloaded the open source version and the 9Ex patch (found in the forums), to get a clean DBPro installment ready to code in.
Then, I'll produce some examples and find someone to test the EXE files to see if it is solved this way. The only question is: does the client needs Visual Studio and DirectX SDK to run the EXEs made in Open Source or just me while compiling need them in my computer?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 00:51
To add to the point about the required DLLs GG mentioned, make sure you have msvcr71.dll, MFC71.DLL AND msvcp.dll included with your game if using Matrix1, as a precaution.

On some instances of Windows 10, error messages can get very vague as the game attempts to call certain functions, the operating system, while missing one of these DLLs, could end up halting your game with an unpleasant error message, without reporting the cause of the error.

These old time libraries sometimes have their calls routed by new api's, but not always the case with certain updates.
Starshyne Emir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 16:52
WHOA, THANK YOU!
I'll include these dlls - in fact, I included 2 of them, but didn't know about the third (the link I've got from the Matrix1Utils thread gave me only 2).

About W10, yeah, it is kinda buggy sometimes. This takes me to a doubt: does make any difference if I compile my game under W10 or W7? I have both machines running the same build of DBPro and it would be easy if changing the OS could solve part of the problem (aside of including the DLLs, that I'll start doing from now on).
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 19:48
Quote: "does make any difference if I compile my game under W10 or W7?"

I do not think so.

For years the first two DLLs where required. Now msvcp.dll is required because Microsoft have not included it in certain instances of Windows 10; had they all been included, we would have nothing to worry about.

Hopefully we will be able to get the DBP language upgraded to more modern standards; I think once we get some support we can arrange for the toolset to compile for DirectX 12, Windows 10 and Microsoft's new API standards. It's just a matter of $$, but I believe it will happen.
Starshyne Emir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 20:13
Thanks for sending some light to my darkness.
I'll remember this forever.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:11:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:11:14