Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 4k issues.....again

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 09:25
Ok, so confident it's not just me.

Full screen still seems locked to the desktop, which means if I set ANY screen size and then set it to full screen I am forced to render at 4k, since that's my setup.

Am I missing something? I can literally set the screen resolution to 1920x1080 and windowed is fine, but as soon as it's full screen I am forced back to desktop settings, meaning I cannot select any full screen resolution other than my desktop?? You can put anything in, no joy.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 10:01
I found that happening too.

Maybe perhaps create a screen resolution loader app to select the screen resolution we want (windows or full screen) option too - save those settings to a file

Then run the main application, which the main applkcation will read those settings that was applied in the loader and use/set accordingly,

Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 10:18 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 10:19
Yeah... as per the documentation

AGK Documentation for SetWindowSize() wrote: "
This sets the window size for platforms that support it, such as Windows and Mac.
In fullscreen mode the width and height will be ignored and the desktop resolution will be used."

So it will be whatever your desktop resolution is.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 11:56
Hmmm, so it's not a bug.......nor is it actually useful. So the options are run in a window, which for some reason I can't get to use the full screen on my 4k monitor though HD works fine, or use a render target work around.

Why can't it just set the screen resolution, like DBPro did?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 18:22 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 18:24
you set the virtual resolution... or am i missing the point?
i.e.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 18:36
No, that doesn't do anything either. I have that set to 1080 he as well, still renders at 4k in full screen.

Basically it seems it desktop resolution or nothing if you want full screen. Render targets work, but nothing else seems to change it.

I assume 4k is just not really something they worried about.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 20:06
ah i see so it's bugged for 4k monitors, i guess AppGameKit was not aware there would be such need back when it was made, weird, but i assume there's just an upper limit that was coded in
as you say render targets work i guess that's the way to work around it for now, just make your own sync which pastes to an image of the desired resolution, at least until Paul fixes it.
life's one big game
Icerion
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you use 4k?

Thanks!
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 20:27
Do we think it maybe OpenGL limitations rather than AGK
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 20:51
Icerion, I have a 4k monitor and desktop......so setting it to full screen just uses 4k, I don't have to do anything.

In fairness it's not a huge issue, but I hate playing in a window and it's difficult to gauge performance for 1080p when it's running in 4k. I know AppGameKit is focussed towards mobiles, but I just don't understand why they gave us the ability to set the app full screen but not actually set it's resolution. It's fairly......fundamental. can't think of a single other game doesn't let you set the full screen res off the top off my head.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 22:49
Quote: "but I just don't understand why they gave us the ability to set the app full screen but not actually set it's resolution. It's fairly......fundamental"

but they do, it works fine for non-4k monitors
life's one big game
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 22:55
Does it? I can literally put any values in at all and nothing works. Lol.

So if your desktop is set to 1920x1080, can you set it to, for example, 1024x768 and it actually do that?
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 08:46 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 08:48
your problem is performance issues?
have you tryed?

SetResolutionMode( 0 )

SetResolutionMode
Description
Some platforms have high resolution screens such as the iPad, this function determines how those platforms display their content. You have the choice of mode=1 which will use a full resolution frame buffer that will look better, or mode=0 that will use a smaller resolution frame buffer (usually half sized) which is then scaled to fit the screen, and will run faster. This does not affect low resolution devices that will always use a low resolution frame buffer.

helps on my crappy dev computer that have low specs but high resolution.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 09:02
It might work, I'll see if it makes a difference.....but it's not a low powered device, so who knows

At the moment I'm using a different solution and rendering the screen in chunks through render images anyway, so I can code around it, but it's just strange that were forced to desktop resolution for full screen.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 10:24
this one makes a 4k resolution half its size and its easy to simply check resolution and only apply if resolution is higher then a specific number.
Its on low resolutions it dosent do anything

Very usefull on todays Android phones with high resolutions also
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 10:27
My Toshiba click with a intel atom 1.4 GHz and intel Graphics card uses a default resolution of 1920x1200 and full screen runs like crapp on it...
This helps on mine.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 12:18
I wonder if that explains a random Nvidia bug then?

Everyone my graphics drivers update the first time the machine runs everything in AppGameKit is halved.....including the resolution. Restart and it's fine, so I know it's not AGK.....but perhaps that setting is being wrongly applied or something on update for some reason. Side point, not important.

Will def try it then Cliff - if it works then maybe they could just put something in the help file for setting screen resolutions for 4k users.....not that I think there's many of us! Lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 05:02:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 05:02:03