Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / GOORK a c64 speccy tribute game....

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2018 19:29 Edited at: 4th Dec 2018 23:19
Multi platform with….
windows,linux,raspberry pi,android releases.
ios as soon as i buy a mac.
work in progress prototype.
alot of more traps and enemies to add and coin boxes.

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows,Linux and mac download………
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://play8bitars.itch.io/goork

Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playattabitars.goork

Made alot of things more clear and adding a basic boss section.
Fixing alot of bugs.
I will see if i could add in some control variations and the auto attack is more or less that a small mobile screen would get full of buttons with to many on screen controls.
I have plans for gamepad support so not that far from a ouya or android tv game
I am only on vacation this week from the freelance work so i will try to put in as much as possible.

Release of this version 2018-12-09

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 03:37 Edited at: 19th Sep 2018 03:38
Looks awesome so far Cliff. I like the secret areas, the character attribute upgrade system and well all of it really. Looks like a very solid focus on gameplay.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 15:10
Thanks gar…
Iam going to try to publish this for windows,mac,linux,ios and Android when its done.

Working on how to solve boss fights and if i should have a overworld map etc ?

I want a fun and intresting platform rpg with a retro charm.

Computer releases will be on itch io..
If it pans out right also steam.

I added luck attribute to make all pickups earn you more etc..
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2018 03:30 Edited at: 20th Sep 2018 03:49
I think that is when you will see a difference Cliff. I might be wrong but I honestly think you are trying to earn some money in the hardest most illogical market there is... mobile. A team can work for a year or more make a great looking playing game and yet the game isn't as popular as something another person throws together in a weekend. I mean you can run into that anywhere but with mobile I think it is much more common. Also I know that many MANY Unity game devs have been talking for a few months now that some big change happened at Google where they had games they were making great money from even living off it in some cases and Google made a change to the store that dropped their earnings down 90% in some cases. It was a massive drop in ad impressions and earnings from this change that happened in first or second quarter of this year.

You make quality good games just maybe focus on computer gamers who are used to spending money and not expecting everything for FREE continually like mobile gamers seem to do. I can't imagine you possibly not making many times more than you have on mobile to be honest. Anyway good luck! And when you get it on Steam let me know and I will do a bit of marketing for it on my Twitter account. Unfortunately, I haven't been active on it for quite a while but I have a tiny bit of reach anyway. At the least might be able to help you get some additional coverage like I got when this website saw my Twitter posts and covered Atlantic Crisis Review and Treasures of Ali-Gar Review and I think your games would stand out more. Like I said before, at that time I was thinking of building up an Indie business and hell came upon me at work and personally and that all fell to the wayside. lol Ah well life happens and I am now slowly getting back to thinking about it again.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2018 14:25
Thanks gar for the input …
Iam experimenting with html 5 and thats brand new for me
Thinking about a donate system to see how that works??
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2018 15:37
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2018 16:24 Edited at: 20th Sep 2018 16:51
That 2D world / level editor looks fantastic and is exactly the kind of thing that would be awesome to be included with AppGameKit "out of the box" or a small price add-on. Have you considered maybe making tools like this for TGC or the store? This stuff is where some of the real work is in AppGameKit game dev. Just these basics of creating levels and worlds AND being able easily load and use that data to spawn enemies, collectibles perform collision detection and so forth. So it seems like it would be valuable to have all of that covered by something like this. I get you might already have thought about this and is just an idea I'm throwing out there. Imagine the new people getting AppGameKit and seeing a link right in the BASIC editor to launch the 2D Map Editor and there it is instantly ready and a library already for working with the data.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2018 21:37
Thanks gar…
When i have more time and energi might i do a more hires version in html 5 so it works on all hardware at once..

then could you code in agk and have the editor in the webbrowser in the back simply..
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 7th Oct 2018 01:28
You always program such great stuff Cliff
fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2018 12:59
Thanks fubpark..
I have paced down because i got sick and dont know the name for it...
To many things at the same time shortly…
I am working so slowly with a first release at the end of the month.

Attachments

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2018 18:45
I really like that blue mono eye critter and the 5 different attributes in the other screenshot are interesting particularly luck. Wondering how that comes into play.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2018 13:10 Edited at: 10th Oct 2018 13:13
Luck will affect value of all gold found and critical hit damage etc

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2018 15:12 Edited at: 10th Oct 2018 15:13
That sounds awesome reminds me of Diablo 2 & 3 gold find & magic find systems. I really like stuff like that.

Also looks like a very interesting little world you have created!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2018 12:16
The World will be andless where the wizard have cast a spell so the rooms Always change when you enter them.
Even if you enter the same room so will the spell make it look differrent.
Simple plot
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2018 18:56
Just downloaded it (to be sure it all works fine I generally use the "Just take me to the Downloads option") and ended up playing through 8 levels in a row.It is very solid. So I stopped headed back to itch logged in and bought it.

You did a great job on it. I think it has a lot more to it then people would think at first glance.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2018 23:11
Thanks gar and Lovely to hear as its only about 8% done so far
Have bin working some more today on the editor adding more tiles and polishing it some more.
End of next week will i get back to adding more ingame stuff like boss fights and ingame stores etc.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 04:45
I saw that on the page where it was an early release work in progress so figured as much as there is in it already and not even being done it is surely worth buying. Heck I think it is worth the suggested price even now. It doesn't really have all of those levels, does it? I mean every square in that large grid at the bottom that fill as you go through levels? If so that is an insane number of levels man. Lol
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 21:59
Its hard to explain but i will have at least 50 rooms that are mirrored and swapped around to make that many rooms later on when its finished

Added a bunch of stuff to the editor and the ingame shop.
Only have to code the shop it self now

Ingame will you encounter a mystic guy that you can buy stuff from
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2018 21:44 Edited at: 16th Oct 2018 21:48
With gar Benjamins donation support did i buy some sodas today to get a sugar rush to get some work done
temporary but work
For next update on itch.

Attachments

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2018 00:29
It looks great cliff. So much colour!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2018 16:07
Glad you were able to get energized Cliff!

I agree with blink0k it is quite colorful. Also the graphics are very detailed for such an ultra low resolution.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2018 17:43
Thanks everyone…
I Think my background as a artist helps me even if iam lazy
You dont know how many times you can repaint a 8x8 pixel until iam satisfied

Iam talking with a Company about freelance work and dont know how it will affect goork?
They contacted me and we are talking...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2018 23:04
This sunday will i upload a pretty big update that makes this more a game and not a prototype.
fully working shop.
the map loader have bin tuned to make it a game and not something random that sometimes made you play the same room after each other.
Two pretty cool weapons have bin added.
spear
and a blade that shoots a ray in front of you.
You can even buy action Points to upgrade you,
A bunch of small bugs and fixes…
More map rooms.
Many things added to the mapper.

Alot more will be added.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2018 21:26
The video shows all updates in coming download over at itch io..
Uploading later today or on monday?
Basic modding have bin added...
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 05:31
The modding is cool Cliff. New weapons!

It seemed like there were new enemy types in that video too. Are they new or only appear later on (I noticed you were on a very high level!)?
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 13:36
They have bin there but at lower levels so do i spawn lesser enemies so they could not appear until later simply
I try to add as much as possible for all updates..
i will polish it some more Before adding to much now.

But i have the most basic stuff in there so i can make them prettier
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 15:26 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2018 15:28
Makes perfect sense and I figured that was the case those enemies only appear later on. Alright cool.

Definitely get it on the polishing. Same way I approach it.... focus mostly on the inside structure, systems, mechanics, controls, gameplay, balancing & "feel" then do a round of polishing. Then add more stuff for many dev sessions then do another round of polishing. Focus also moves more to polishing and less on the internals the further along the project is.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 22:15 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2018 22:15
Your project was featured on the front page of Pinterest, or at least my Pinterest front page. Not sure how the site's algorithm works, but congrats none the same.

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 22:41
Thats so cool moon dog
I dont know how that happened but cool anyway…
Thanks for sharing
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 23:35
Made new Icons and cover for itch page but not sure if i like them so feedback?

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2018 02:31 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2018 02:31
Is Play8Bitars a handle you use?
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2018 10:37 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2018 10:53
Its my publishing alias

also changed the itch Icons to fit the pixelated look better...

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2018 12:11
If you want to make your icon even more 'classic' looking, you should make it ultra realistic. I miss good cover art of ol'e games past.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2018 12:39
Me in a armour

I will probably change this many times….
Playing some dune 2 on my megadrive/genesis to take a break
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2018 11:50 Edited at: 24th Oct 2018 11:51
Ok i got the feedback so many times now that to many will not like the low rez approach so decided to recode the core to 16x16 pixels instead.
Here is only one tile replaced to show the differrence.
But i have other work tomorrow so the update will be a bit delayed.

Attachments

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 01:26 Edited at: 25th Oct 2018 03:19
I would just say the people telling you that are almost certainly people who are not in your target market.

Here are a few examples and 2 of the 3 games are selling at $5 or more.

Environmental Station Alpha was rated highly and sold very well.

Environmental Station Alpha

Necrosphere sold very well and is rated very highly not only on Steam but also big game review sites such as Rock, Paper & Shotgun.

Necrosphere

Much more recently Duck Souls was released on Steam and is also rated very highly on Steam, sites YT etc.

Duck Souls

If you think making the graphics higher resolution will make the game play better or you personally want to make the graphics higher resolution then I'd say go for it. There could be benefits such as allowing the player to have a larger view of the area which would have an impact on gameplay and might be a good thing. Or might not.

I'm just saying I wouldn't personally increase the resolution because some people on the Internet said to increase it. People each have things they like and don't like. You could just as easily have other people tell you "this game should be in 3D" simply because they like 3D games.

It's like the RPS reviewer of Necrosphere said... "personally I love the colorful chunky pixels". It all comes down to the person. And there are lots of people who love chunky pixel graphics just as there are lots of people who hate them.

Again obviously completely up to you and there may be real advantages to increasing resolution such as having more screen real estate for stats, larger area visibility and so on. Just saying do it for good reasons such as these not random net comments.

I could see increasing the resolution of your game as far as the screen size is concerned so everything appears smaller and the player can see more of the level because it is a very short field of view. But you wouldn't even need to redraw the images for that. Just increase the resolution and instantly everything is higher res and player can see further ahead, etc. In fact redrawing the images all larger as well would make it so the field of view is still very small.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 13:05 Edited at: 25th Oct 2018 13:07
The games you show do i Think work better as they use a higher resolution then i selected ?
Mine where alot blockier but i liked it..

Now have i recoded the entire mapper and tile mapper for 16x16 pixels so wath do you Think?
Fixing the sprites after work but looks like a nes game almost now?

I had to do some tasks for tgc first Before i made this

Attachments

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 14:19 Edited at: 25th Oct 2018 14:25
Looks awesome to me but I thought it looked awesome to begin with. Looks higher resolution more detailed now.

It'd be interesting to see a version where you use the same exact images as before and only increase the screen resolution so the images appear smaller and more of the area can be seen. I think that is the biggest difference between these other popular low rez games and yours. Yours is zoomed way in and just increasing resolution would zoom it out. Although I also think being zoomed in so close does give it a unique view.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 15:54
Hey Cliff, this project looks good and nice map editor too.
Personally I like the low res look and I wouldn't bother too much with some people saying they don't like it as you will never please everyone and there will be plenty that do.
There is a big market for low res retro style games at the minute which I don't see slowing down any time soon.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 23:33
Yes gar i want that old school feel rick dangerous have on c64 and amig when you played
Thats why its a bit zoomed in.

Thanks Spectre
I try to take the middle path here
medium lowrez

Iam a bit tired got home from work and made some small freelance coding bits and its now 00:32 at night over here ..
So have to work on goork tomorrow
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 09:44 Edited at: 27th Oct 2018 09:46
Here you are gar as you also are my one and only donations on the game
Not to bad actually when i look at tonights work after work?
Maybe good to paint while tired

Attachments

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 14:09 Edited at: 27th Oct 2018 14:11
I like that. Definitely is higher rez and yet still has a unique style. And it is still ultra low rez.

I just realized the original was only about 64 pixels wide! So I guess now the resolution is about 128x72?

Anyway it does look better. I ran into a similar thing with my game. Originally I was using 80x72 and increased it to 128x90 so I had more screen real estate to work with. Needed that extra space!
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 21:13
The 8 bit, it stings a little eyes

how do you record your data? do you use the function "DIM"?

I do what i do !!!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 14:00
Yes gar it lloks still retro but not as much blocky…

Ouais….
Wath do you mean the maps or player data?

I simply write in strings,integers and floats to a file…
No matter if there is arrays or globals when you write
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 17:03
for all data in general
I do the same for the recordings!
I do what i do !!!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 20:17
Yes i pretty much use globals and arrays to store things and simply write em out to a file.
Maps are mostly arrays.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2018 23:05
Adapting the editor for mobiles.

Splitting up level selection and tile painter in to there own pages to be simplier to use on mobiles.

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2018 00:49
Wath i have managed so far for update 3.
Still a few glitches and he walk to far on the sides on exit but shows the progress.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:10:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:10:53