Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Apple Push Notifications with Google FCM?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2018 22:18
Is it possible to use Apple Push Notifications in Tier 1 with Google FCM instead of the proper Apple Push service? My app runs on a GoDaddy shared hosting account where port 2195 is closed and they won't open it for shared hosting accounts. I can see that I can add the iOS app to the Google Firebase dashboard and can download the plist file under the cloud messaging section but not sure if it can go any further.

When I released the app on the App Store months ago I had to release it without notifications as I wasn't able to get them to work then but now the user base is growing I thought I'd have another go. It seems like it's not going to happen. I'm not ready to start forking out on a dedicated server just yet, the app doesn't earn enough to warrant it.
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2018 22:31
Let me put it like this: Push messages are evil. Moreover, difficult evil. So evil in fact that to provide cross-platform push messaging, we at work use a third-party plugin that handle all that for us. Doing it yourself cross-platform is so byzantine that you'd think all the tribulations one have to go through to release an app on iTunes (with in app purchase) is a calm Sunday afternoon stroll in the park, with birds singing happy tunes and cats cuddling up to dogs.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2018 15:48 Edited at: 5th Oct 2018 15:52
@Dybing, do you have any recommendations? Something that works with AppGameKit and might not require a shared server to having certain ports open. I don't mind one that costs a little.

Has anyone used Amazon SNS with AppGameKit? https://aws.amazon.com/sns/ It'll be a while before I reach a million push notifications each month but paying an extra $1 a month if I do isn't a problem.

I'd be interested in hearing which 3rd party services work with AGK

I should add I use Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:55:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:55:41