Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Student version.. is there?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Oct 2018 11:45
Hi, I'm planning on teaching youngsters how to develop video games.
I want to use AppGameKit as a start point before moving on to Unity\Unreal and let the student choose for himself what is best for his project.
(Will recommend AppGameKit AS THE BEST SOLUTION for a start as it is very easy to grasp and these could be students which never touched code before.)
So what I'm asking is there a student version where the student can compile and broadcast ? or just compile ... and run on WINDOWS, what are my options on saving my students some money if they are needed to buy AppGameKit ?

great to be back hopefully the forum knights still sit at the round table pondering on how to generate the best solutions to indie gaming...

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2018 12:09 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2018 12:09
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
There is an education version that you can use:
https://www.appgamekit.com/education

Also: ANYONE can use the free trial but it doesnt have broadcast capability or export to android
https://www.appgamekit.com/trial
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2018 18:13
as bengismo said, the teaching version is free but if you're expecting a lot of potential purchases being needed (from students) i would PM RickV and see if he can help directly.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 5th Oct 2018 08:04
I'm opening a private school for gaming development.
I got a refusal from the education team since I am not a college or a high school ...
It kinda made me feel sad cause there are a lot more options to choose from like Unity... which I will teach also.
but I wanted to make AppGameKit as the start point since the learning curve is really easy.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2018 18:16
well that's a shame as AppGameKit is a neat little program but unity is really easy to learn once you get the basics too, probably more so than AppGameKit because it has an editor so you can avoid coding for quite a while and the entire process is so much easier to "see" what is going on.
sure coding in c# is more confusing at first but it's probably better to learn fresh from c# rather than trying to learn multiple languages at once, as long as the tutorial is good it doesn't take much to learn - i'm self taught hobby coder and picked it up in no time just by following youtube
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2018 18:50 Edited at: 5th Oct 2018 18:51
@smallg although I'd like to see 2D and 3D world editor support built-in to AppGameKit the editor is one of the biggest things that put me off to using Unity. I know most people seem to love it and I could never understand why. It always seemed so clunky & inefficient to work with. Spent 3 years focused mainly on streamlining workflows and AppGameKit was still more efficient on day 1. I think it all comes down to each person. I always wanted to be able to "connect" with the workflows but just never could.
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 5th Oct 2018 19:03
The idea is to make the students build 2d and 3d editors for their games... that's why AppGameKit is best suited for it.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2018 14:46 Edited at: 6th Oct 2018 14:50
There are other problems at schools:

- no hardware
- hardware like Pentium IV single core
- Raspberry Pis, but no displays
- no admins
- no space for the projects

Every installation is a security mess. And most of the schools I know, have no own cloud service or something like that.
To download the Demo of AppGameKit is a great problem, to register first. If you are under 18 you would need a permission from your parents.
But it's the same with Unreal Engine or Unity.

Hardware is also a problem. Schools would need to have computers not 10 years old.

What we are dealing with on schools is: Windows XP, Windows 7, a lot of Single Core CPUs and only OnBoard graphics from 10 years ago.
Maybe there are some newer ones, i5 CPUs with Intel GPU and about 2 to 4 GB RAM and Windows 8, but they mostly for the teachers and not for about 15 or 30 people in classes.

Mostly it is:

15 PCs bought years ago, there is maybe an installation with Internet Explorer, and some Open Office and every night the harddrives will get an old image with the same state, so all changed data will be set back.

No users. Because users would require the schools to save personal data in a secure way and that is mostly to complecated. Some have Windows-Users and an own Desktop with some MB save space.

In my opinion the best solution would be: every pupil gets a Nintendo Switch. Save environment, WLAN with other pulis local and Apps from the Store / eShop.

The Switch would be property of the School or could be bought by the student / pupil. It has no webcam, no microphone, so it is not as easy to use Big Brother Spyware on it like on some other Tablets or PCs.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:18:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:18:17